What is it? -- Multiple team meetings, happening in the same city, at the same time + some opportunity to get together as one big group as well as with other teams as it makes sense. Then, on the last day, we have a fun social event for all, Mozilla-style!
The information on this wiki primarily applies to Full time and contractor staff. If you are a volunteer contributor please inquire with your community manager/program manager about contributor nominations, interns please inquire to your coordinator.
- 1 Dates and Location
- 2 Registration
- 3 Immigration
- 4 Travel to Berlin
- 5 Families/Guests
- 6 Lunar New Year
- 7 Safety & Security
- 8 Accessibility
- 9 Sustainability
- 10 All Hands Expense Policy
- 11 Activities
Dates and Location
Monday, January 27, 2020 - Friday, January 31, 2020 (travel days are Monday, Jan 27 & Saturday, Feb 1) in Berlin, Germany.
*For those countries where rest time is required on weekends (vs. work travel), Mozilla will cover a return on the next available work day, if you choose. This needs to pre-approved and pre-arranged.
This is an invite-only event. All full time and Elance/Upwork employees are expected to attend this all company event. Contractors, Vendors and seasonal employees are included on a case by case evaluation based upon team needs and upon executive review and approval.
Advance registration is required. Attendees will need to wear their event badge at all times, including to evening events. We will have security at our events who will be ensuring everyone in our space should be there. This includes facilitators, and other related business guests.
We have a process to identify qualified regular full time new hires and Brianna will invite all new hires to register and book travel directly on their start date. No action is necessary from hiring managers other than to let them know about the event (please do not forward any links). Please work closely with your recruiting manager as they are aware of all deadlines.
All regular full time new hires must have a start date of January 6, 2020 or earlier and in workday by December 16, 2019. Final invites will be extended on December 17, 2019. Contractors/vendors will require executive approval and those who are hired after the approval will not be invited. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone who registered received a confirmation email titled "Registration Confirmation to Mozilla Berlin All Hands" which shows you how you answered each question. If you didn't get the email and/or need to make changes to your registration, please email email@example.com.
If you have any questions about immigration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is STEP? The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Benefits of Enrolling in STEP
- Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
- Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
You do not need a visa if you hold a passport issued from the EU, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, or Canada. Please see here to confirm the entry document requirements for the country you’re from: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/visabestimmungen-node/staatenlistevisumpflicht-node
If you are from a country that requires a visa to enter Germany, please plan to obtain one as early as possible as government processing times constantly change. You can find a broad overview of the process here: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/visabestimmungen-node . For more detailed instructions regarding the visa process you will need to refer to the website of your nearest Mission/Consulate General. You will be able to learn more about the process by searching for “business visa” or “visitor visa” on the website for that German Mission.
Please keep in mind that while you are traveling for work, you are not traveling for a German based job. All Hands is a business conference/event. As you book your travel please also keep in mind that you could require a transit visa if you have a layover in a country that requires it.
If you have questions specific to your circumstances, please email email@example.com.
Your passport or identity card will be checked when you arrive at an EU port or airport to make sure you’re allowed to come into the country. The passport must be valid for the whole of your stay. You may also need a visa to come into or travel through Germany, depending on your nationality.
- If you are from an EEA country or Switzerland, you can enter Germany with either a valid passport or a national identity card issued by a EEA country.
- If you need a United States Passport, start here: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html. Please note it can take 4-6 weeks to receive your passport. Please plan ahead.
EU Visa Waiver Program Suspension - Update
In March 2019 the EU announced that the visa free entry requirements for third country visitors to Europe would be changing. This change will not go into affect until 1 January 2021, note this is one year after our Berlin All Hands trip. After this date, citizens from certain countries, including the USA and Canada, will be required to obtain an ETIAS travel authorization before they can enter Europe.
Mission websites in popular Mozillian locations:
- United States: https://www.germany.info/us-en/service/05-VisaEinreise/business-visa/963542
- Canada: https://canada.diplo.de/ca-en/consular-services/visa/shortstay
- UK: https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/visa
- Paris: https://allemagneenfrance.diplo.de/fr-de/service/00-visa-seite
- Taiwan: https://taipei.diplo.de/tw-en/service/visa
- Beijing: https://china.diplo.de/cn-zh/service/visa-einreise/schengenvisum/1343246
- India: https://india.diplo.de/in-en/service/-/1908794
Travel to Berlin
Bookings to Berlin have begun. The Egencia instructions have be emailed to anyone approved to attend. New hires will have individual deadlines based upon hire/start date. Approved contractors, vendors, seasonal, status employees will be notified with an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with specific instructions.
Specific instructions were emailed to you about how to book, as we have a new process for anyone based outside the US, Canada & Central/South America. APAC employees will NOT be booking your All Hands travel in country based site, and will be using Egencia Americas. European employees WILL be booking in your country based site to allow access to trains and low cost airlines.
Should you need to reach someone at Egencia Americas for special circumstances or changes that can't be done online:
- Call+1 (800) 361-1120 or +1(702)939-2533; Hours of operations are Monday – Friday (except holidays) 5:00 AM– 6:00 PM PT or 8:00 AM – 9:00 PM ET or 12:00 PM - 1:00 AM UTC. If you call outside these hours, you will get an after-hours agent (not a meeting agent, who may not be as helpful) . Please ensure the agent you speak with knows you are booking for a meeting.
- Email: email@example.com. The email is monitored Monday - Friday.
Other Egencia contact details:
- Egencia UK+EMEA - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; UK Local #: +44 203 077 2536 (charged at local rate). For calls made outside the UK, please dial +00 44 161 233 5525. (From anywhere outside the EU, please dial +011 44...)
- Egencia FR - Email: email@example.com; France Local #: +33 8 11 65 66 53. For calls made outside France, please dial +33 4 86 06 15 18 (From anywhere outside the EU, please dial +011 33)
Important Details: Everyone should plan to arrive in Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL) on Monday, January 27 and leave on Saturday, February 1. Anyone who plans to arrive ahead of that or to stay longer, regardless of the reason, must follow the "arriving early/departing late guidelines." These guidelines also apply if you want to fly in or out of airports other than your home airport and Berlin Tegel (anything custom). A few notes:
- If you are a vendor (paid by a company other than Mozilla or Upwork), contractor, or seasonal staff, those approved will be sent separate email.
- Volunteers will be handled separate from this process.
- We work closely with Recruiting to ensure new hires are invited after their start date. No need to let us know about these.
- If you would like to invite someone who is a business partner, facilitator or some other category that isn't an employee or volunteer (not a personal guest/family), email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Change fees will be covered by Mozilla for business reasons only. Please email email@example.com ahead of calling Egencia to make the change. Any changes for personal reasons must be paid by the employee directly to Egencia over the phone.
Arriving Early/Departing Late Guidelines
Our standard travel guidelines apply (pre-populated in Egencia) when booking with a few additional budget constraints. Anything booked outside of them will require approval. Most people will arrive on Monday, January 27 and leave on Saturday, February 1. Here are some exceptions:
- If you plan to spend some extra personal time in Berlin/Europe or nearby (choosing to arrive before Monday, Jan 27 or depart after Saturday, Feb 1), you'll need to create a itinerary in Egencia for standard dates/locations within the Egencia Portal and compare to the custom dates/locations you'd like. Pricing for the standard dates should be Round Trip only. Pricing for custom dates/locations should be for Round trip or Multi city trips only. Please share the difference via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and receive approval ahead of submission in Egencia. You can sway up to +$100 over and Mozilla will cover it. Otherwise you'll need to come with an alternate itinerary that fits within the pricing (like a round trip in and out of TXL w/ longer dates, and you personally book & cover the rest). Please note that one way trips are only approved on a case by case basis. Do not book one ways without prior approval. We do not have the ability for employees to reimburse Mozilla for any overage. This scenario also applies for routing through different airports to/from Berlin Tegel than your home airport (ex. a layover in London for a few days, or flying out of something other than TXL).
- If you are attending the Sunday/Monday CI event (by invite), you can arrive on Sunday, January 26.
- If you would like to arrive early to recover from jetlag, you will need manager approval for any additional costs associated with the extension. There is no unilateral "All Hands" approval based upon timezone to arrive early. For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center). This policy does not apply to volunteer contributors, any jetlag recovery costs must be self funded.
- If you are celebrating the Lunar New Year, see here.
- If you live in a country where work travel is prohibited on weekends, you may travel on Friday, Jan 24 and Monday, Feb 3, if you’d prefer (not required). For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center). You must have approval from our benefits team in writing (and send to email@example.com) prior to booking any travel. Approvals and expenses will not be applied retroactively.
- If you live in a country where work travel is prohibited on Sunday, you may travel on Saturday, Jam 24, if you’d prefer (not required). For hotel, you will book and pay on your own, and expense the manager approved amount (which is coded to your cost center). You must have approval from our benefits team in writing (and send to firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to booking any travel. Approvals and expenses will not be applied retroactively.
Booking Family Travel
Whether your family will accompany you on your flight or join us later; and you have two options: direct with the airline (recommended) or through Egencia.
First, figure out which flights you want to be on as an employee in Egencia. Hold them in Egencia. Find the flights you want for your family on the airline site and book them. Go back to Egencia and book your flights. Once you have both sets of confirmation numbers, call the airline and ask them to LINK your two reservations. This shows that you are traveling together and shouldn't be moved. When you call, you can also ask the airline agent to assign seats together. By booking your family direct on the airline, it gives them "priority" with the airline over people who book via a third party (expedia, booking.com, kayak, etc). These aren't guarantees, but they do help.
We do not recommend booking family through Egencia. If you'd like details about how to do it, please email email@example.com
- If your family is arriving on a different flights than you but would like to take advantage of the airport shuttles on Sunday/Monday and/or Saturday, please email their itinerary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are unable to accommodate volunteer contributor families/guests.
Mozilla will reimburse U-Bahn tickets for those based in the Berlin area for getting to/from hotels. For more information on the U-Bahn, please see the Berlin office guide on mana.
For those outside of the Berlin area who are taking the train, please add your name here. We will notify you when train bookings open (on or about Nov 1). You will book train via Egencia FR, UK, DE.
Parking is not reimbursable.
Mozilla provides emergency medical accident and illness cover for all global MoCo employees/interns and their dependents. You can view more information on Mana. This coverage begins at the time the you leave home to start your business trip. It also has a provision for a 14 day extension for leisure travel outside of the business travel. If you have additional questions, please email email@example.com.
Mozilla does not cover travel insurance for elancers, upworkers, contractors, vendors, or volunteers/community members (unless required for visa application).
Air Travel Fine Print
- Change fees will be covered by Mozilla for business reasons only. If you need a change and have manager approval, email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to requesting the change with Egencia. Once you have approval, call Egencia to make the change at 1-877-255-1090 (note this will not be possible without prior approval so be sure to get that by way of an email from your manager to Brianna Mark). If you are changing for personal reasons, the change in airfare, change fee and Egencia fee is your responsibility.
- Mozilla will not reimburse for Business/First class upgrades, tickets or seat reservations.
- Mozilla will reimburse for one checked bag each way.
- Mozilla Frequent Flyer perks do not apply for All Hands.
- Flights booked outside of Egencia will not be an approved expense unless email approval by Brianna is obtained prior to booking.
- Any submitted expenses needs to have an itinerary attached to ensure it is employee expenses only and within policy.
Berlin Tegel airport is open from 4:00 - 0:00. Shuttles will be provided from Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL) to our 3 hotels on Monday, Jan 27 from 8:00 - 23:00. Shuttles from our 3 hotels to Berlin Tegel will be provided on Saturday, Feb 1 from 4:00 - 20:00.
Taxis and Addison Lee are not reimbursable.
If you are arriving by train to Hauptbahnhof: To Hotel Berlin Berlin
- FROM HAUPTBAHNHOF STATION: Take the S-Bahn metro lines S5, S9 or S75 to the station “Zoologischer Garten” (20 min.). From there, take the bus 100 to the stop Lützowplatz.
- Via U-BAHN: Take the U-Bahn metro lines U2, U3 and U1 to the station “U-Nollendorfplatz”. Exit the station in the direction of “Karl-Heinrich-Ulrichs-Straße." The road leads directly to the hotel (approx 5 mins).
To InterCon Berlin and Pullman
- FROM HAUPTBAHNHOF STATION: Take the S-Bahn metro lines S3, S5, S7, or S9 to the station “Zoologischer Garten”. From there, walk 10 mins to hotel.
Berlin's integrated public transport is divided in 3 tariff zones (ABC). To travel within the city, including from Tegel airport to the hotels, you only need an AB ticket. Tickets can be bought at automated booths in most stations (accept credit cards), and on Metro (need coins). You can use the same ticket to travel on buses, metro, S-Bahn, U-Bahn. More information, including PDF maps, are available on this website. A mobile app is available on stores ("BVG FahrInfo Plus") and allows to create routes between stations, or you can use directly the BVG website.
Of course our focus, for the majority of the week, will be on Mozilla. Everyone is expected to be present and engaged each day, during work hours (as your schedule dictates). Please do what you can to make sure your loved ones understand the kind of commitment you’ve made. Please note that what are able to do for families varies by each location. We are unable to accommodate volunteer contributor or intern families/guests at our All Hands.
Quick summary logistics
- Air Travel: Employees do need to book via Egencia regardless of how families are booked.
- Hotel: Family/friends are welcome to stay with you. All room rates are based upon single occupancy and include breakfast. Guests must be added to reservations in advance and any additional room expenses will be yours to cover. Most of our hotel rooms have a maximum of double occupancy (2 adults), with very limited availability of rooms for higher occupancy. Higher occupancy rooms will be assigned in the order that you register. We will have extra rooms available for families to book and pay for at our hotels.
- Lunch & Dinner: Family will be on their own for lunch daily and dinner on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday.
- Monday & Friday Night Events: Family members who are registered for the event and registered with the hotel, are invited to join us for our evening events.
- Childcare Services: We will not provide centralized childcare services. We have found that every family has different needs and centralized childcare does not deliver on those needs. If you are in need of help finding options for your family, we are happy to connect you with staff whose families who are coming (#allhands-childcare and #parents are great places to start), as well we are happy to help support finding of resources (although you are likely better at it than us). Given every circumstance is unique, we defer to your manager to determine what Mozilla can support you with financially.
On demand babysitting services in Berlin:
Lunar New Year
We are aware of the overlap in the Lunar New Year celebrations with the Berlin All Hands. To help folks who decide to attend the Berlin All Hands and who also celebrate Chinese New Year, we will offer the following:
- A higher airfare caps for air travel to allow for fewer layovers on Monday, January 27
- Assurance that Berlin is optional but if employee wants to attend they can shift their holiday days to another time.
- Live Airmo Feeds of Plenary (+ relevant team all hands meetings) + quick posting of recording to accommodate those who choose not to travel.
- Potentially shifting any main plenary session date/time
We are working with leadership and representatives of those most affected and will update wiki regularly with updates. Feel free to reach out to Brianna with questions.
Safety & Security
Alcohol at Events
To better support and sustain an environment (and workplace culture) where people feel safe and included, we have made a set of changes regarding alcohol at our events. In all cases, our approach aligns with our Community Participation Guidelines (“CPG”).
- All participants are required to read and acknowledge our new Community Participation Guidelines as a condition of participation.
- We will limit bar-servings to beer and wine and ensure an equal number and quality (i.e. not just Coke) of non-alcoholic drink options are available and displayed.
- Team dinners should be thoughtful about the potential exclusionary nature of alcohol when planning.
- Clearly outlined, communicated (to event teams, HR and managers) and understood escalation process for behavior that might be deemed counter to the spirit of our CPG.
If you are traveling to the All Hands with a device that has Mozilla data (laptop, personal cell phone/tablet with @mozilla gmail, etc) on it and your device has been retained for further inspection by border agents, or if your device has been inspected outside your immediate presence - and you believe your credentials have been compromised - you must notify the Enterprise Information Security team as soon as possible at email@example.com or by calling Mozilla End User Services at +1 650-963-8811. (This number will be staffed 24x7)
We will work with you to reset your credentials and help you get your device back to a known good state either by getting you a new one (if it’s been taken), or by resetting it back to a verifiable Mozilla-approved installation.
Badges are required to access all meeting spaces and evening events.
Monday Night reception is at the InterContinental Berlin. No stairs or elevators required.
- InterCon: Most meeting space levels are accessible by elevators.
- Pullman: All meeting space levels are accessible by guestroom elevators.
- Hotel Berlin: All meeting space is on the ground level.
We will have Listen Systems available for any meeting in the main plenary space. Visit the AV booth to pick one up.
Milk Stork Services are reimbursable - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Hotel Berlin, Berlin is certified partner of visitBerlin we stand for sustainable, green meetings and events. For more information, visit https://convention.visitberlin.de/en/sustain.
InterContinental Hotel Berlin is Green Globe Certified. Green Globe Certification is the worldwide sustainability system based on internationally accepted criteria for sustainable operation and management of travel and tourism businesses. Operating under a worldwide license, Green Globe Certification is based in California, USA and is represented in over 83 countries. Green Globe Certification is a member of the Global Sustainable Tourism Council, supported by the United Nations World Tourism Organization. Additonally, as part of IHG’s Green Engage™ program the InterContinental Berlin has implemented best practices at all operational levels. The innovative Environmental Management System not only measures the day-to-day energy, water and waste consumption, but also provides recommended actions – ‘green solutions’ – to improve energy conservation and the property’s carbon footprint score.
All Hands Expense Policy
1. All "All Hands" Expenses must be submitted on 1 (and only 1) Expense report (e.g. Berlin All Hands Expense Report). Each expense must be tagged with "All Hands - Jan 2020"
2. It must contain only those expenses relative to the All Hands Event in Berlin.
3. If your submitted expense report for All Hands is submitted outside these guidelines, it will be rejected and you will be asked to re-submit with only All Hands Expenses
4. The deadline to submit the All Hands Expense Report is February 28, 2020.
5. Expenses related to team events (except those coordinated through Lisa Carlson), parking, room service, mini-bar charges, and food/drink costs above the vouched amounts, will not be approved.
The intention of our all hands are to centrally organize a structure that includes:
- Meals (2 evening events + breakfast, lunch, drinks and snacks Tuesday - Friday)
Expenses submitted can not exceed the approved amounts. Any social events (except dinners/team building activities coordinated through Lisa Carlson) that are not part of our central plan will generally be self-organized and funded by participants.
Travel expenses policy
Reimbursement will be made for necessary and reasonable expenses.
- Getting to/from home to your airport: We ask that you use the most economical option, while balancing your personal needs - whether that be mileage/parking, public transportation or ride shares. We will not reimburse for private towncar services or car rental.
- Per standard Mozilla travel policy, Travel Meal Policy: Employees are eligible for travel meals when traveling. For Meals: There is a $75 USD per day meal policy while traveling. This covers breakfast (est. $15), lunch (est. $20), and dinner (est. $40). Receipts: Receipts are required. When submitting a meal for reimbursement, please include how many people attended the meal. There is no need to include names.
- We will not reimburse for seat/class upgrades. Frequent flyer status does not apply for All Hands.
- We will reimburse for bag checking fees for one bag.
Any other expenses must be approved by your manager ahead of time. Any expenses for extending your stay for business reasons - such as additional hotel nights, meals, etc must be approved by your manager before booking and travel.
Cell phone reimbursement policy
Cell phone reimbursement must be approved by your manager prior to submitting the expense. Teams will decide for their staff what is appropriate to expense.
Internet reimbursement policy
Internet will be provided in all guestrooms and meeting space in all hotels. If you opt to upgrade/add service, those costs are not reimbursable, unless previously approved by your manager and are for business reasons.