Personal tools

B2G/Meeting/2012-09-25

From MozillaWiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

News

  • Welcome to Milestone 5: Prompt, pretty and popular. Focus is on bug fixes, performance optimizations and visual completeness.
  • Meetings: Split Gaia into two parts? Converge Gaia and Platform now that closing major v1 work? Thoughts?
  • Daily Smoketests: The most important thing you should ever look at ever: http://bit.ly/Nbpp5C
  • ESTIMATION: Please finish estimating your blockers with format: [LOE:SIZE]. Please fill this in whiteboard field in Bugzilla, and the labels in Github, where SIZE is:
      • S - small. task is 1 week or less.
      • M - medium. task is up to 3 weeks.
      • L - large. task will take more than 3 weeks.
  • Dashboard updates:

Administrative

Ecosystem

  • <ateam> (mdas, jgriffin, ahal) - updated 9/25
    • This week:
      • Update server producing nightly updates; stable updates coming as soon as we determine a url and a mechanism for promoting nightly updates to stable
      • Marionette broken by a remote debugger change; working on fixing; https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=793760
      • We're very close to having Marionette in TBPL which will prevent this problem in the future
      • Continuing work on getting emulator tests in TBPL, adapting our automation to pandas, and getting automated Eideticker runs
    • Last week:
      • Working on a problem in Marionette affecting OOP frames.
      • Working on some B2G changes for Eideticker.
      • Working on adapting automation to pandas.
      • Marionette is currently on TBPL for desktop Firefox, only on try and hidden while we work out a few issues. This should help prevent Marionette breakage in the future, which has been the source of some B2G automation downtime.
    • Current priorities: builder/update server support > emulator unittests in TBPL > panda work
  • <QA team> (Geo, John)
    • Gaia QA updates at: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/gaia-meeting-notes
    • BLOCKED:
      • Payments story is in flux although subsiding soon, QA testing has been put on a halt for "real" payment providers. Don't feel confident either that were on track for feature freeze for payments.
      • Camera is busted - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=793973
    • This week:
      • Cleaning up iteration 1 of sanity smoketest suite produced by sprint. Have sanity checks for ~10 areas. Looking to have suite working in B2G CI and up for review by EOW.
      • Taking a second 1.5 week iteration to add any other automatable APIs to sanity suite.
      • Working on getting existing mochitests vetted for failures in B2G CI and ported.
      • Conversation between perms project and WebAPI devs revealed more complexity to the testing: need to test APIs w/ a range of different appStatus and with four different perms manager responses. Reworking existing approach to account.
    • QUESTION: when can QA get a dogfood device and a build to vet prior to wider distribution?
    • Apps - Looking to some work on testing web activities, but holding my testing on payments for now
    • Last week:
      • Finished content-based perms test prototypes for priority APIs. dchan has rough code for setting up app-based fixture. Working with ptheriault and dchan to get existing code all together and finalize approach.
      • WebAPI Smoketest sprint wrapping up. Uncovered a lot of questions regarding setting up and working with APIs, particularly working around permissions. Working through solving these now to unblock further progress.
      • MozTrap->Jira export script finished. http://people.mozilla.com/~gmealer/moz2jira/ First samples sent to TEF.
      • mozPay end to end flow at a proof of concept level has been seen working
      • Mostly focused on adding test cases at the Gaia level, not platform level this week

Note:

  • <product team> (Chris Lee)
    • This week:
    • Last week:
  • <PMO team> (Kevin Hu, Dietrich, Michael)
    • This week:
      • ensuring all gaia blockers have feature label
      • generating projects from LOE estimates
      • driving remaining feature work to zero
    • Last week:
  • <Release Management> (Alex Keybl, Lukas Blakk, Bhavana Bajaj)
    • This week:
      • Sign ups being collected for B2G Test Drivers (over 200 MV/TO/SF already signed up)
      • Working on sign off for SIM card/phone plan expensing, getting SD cards to eb able to test music/camera/video
      • OTA working!!!
        • Jgriffin working on creating the stable channel, we'll need an update channel (stable or nightly) for B2G Test Drivers using unagi builds [also Jgriffin?]
      • To get the devices to people we only need the following:
        • Michael Wu to test initializing a device from the shipment that arrives this week to make sure the update script is working properly on these devices -- then we can start having IT and Desktop Support unboxing/preparing devices
        • QA -- Test plan to run on a newly installed device from this shipment before starting full deployment plan [Geo]
        • Confim ability and instructions for setting a config pref on the device as dogfood.prerelease.id so we can get this hooked into update pings and crash reports as soon as possible
        • Feedback app still needs to be part of a default unagi build and tested with the API - this app will be included by default in all B2G builds until we ship - people who are not in B2G Test Drivers can still submit to our app [Vivien]
    • Last Week:
      • Preparations for B2G Test Drivers (stub: https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G_Test_Drivers)
      • Tomorrow an announcement will go out to MV/SF/TO to get signups for phones
      • A concurrent announcement will go to everyone@ explaining what B2G TD is, and what they can do to help in the meantime - desktop builds/ServiceNow/Developer Outreach signup/survey
      • There should be 600 devices (400 for B2G TD) arriving in MV office this weekend
      • Early next week we will start having IT/Desktop Support flash them and do the custom adjustments for B2G TD (config pref setting, config of Feedback app)
        • [BLOCKING] Micheal Wu's flashing instructions/scripts in a wiki (and tested to be as user-friendly as possible)
        • [BLOCKING] Vivien's feedback app from https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/issues/1819 installed on the 400 devices we will deploy (can this be a part of the default apps during dogfooding period? - Yes, Vivien can do this as well as creating the app)
        • [BLOCKING] stable OTA updates
          • bug 791829 - [OTA update] No way of resuming a stopped/partial update
          • bug 791836 - [OTA update] Updates can just stall without uninterrupted reasons
          • bug 791902 - [OTA update] After restart, update shows a busted homescreen with no apps
        • [NEEDED BUT NOT BLOCKING] bug 789466 – Report crashes with prerelease.dogfood.id if available
          • Blocked by bug 777145 but looks to be finished this week
        • We're going to talk with Annie from metrics team this week (Thurs channel meeting) about bug 791053 – Provide a 'daily grep' of the update logs for B2G update pings/downloads where custom token is specifed
      • Once we have devices flashed/deployed we'll start having weekly meetings to look at update/crash/feedback collection from this pool of early users. a) expect lots of new bugs filed and b) anyone welcome to join the meetings
      • Continuing meetings about the building/hosting of images/updates
      • Sent email to dev.gaia about gaia (blocking) bugs being tracked in Bugzilla
        • speak now or forever hold your peace
      • Will follow up on:
  • Developer Documentation (sheppy)
    • This week:
      • Have been asked by the partner relations folks to write docs about overall architecture, security, and performance, so that's what I'm working on.
    • As always:
    • Don't forget to add the dev-doc-needed keyword to any bugs that even might affect developer docs (whether device integration developers, Gecko developers, or web developers). You don't have to wait until the bug is fixed. We have tools to track this, and using it will get things done faster.
    • Feel free to ping me on IRC (sheppy) or by email (eshepherd@mozilla.com) with questions, requests, or suggestions.
  • On Github, use devDocNeeded label (current open issues: http://j.mp/NTBybM )
    • For example, make sure everything API-related you talk about in these meetings have the keyword.
  • <Release Engineering> (Joduinn) - Updated on 9/25
    • This week:
      • contractual details of how-to-do-updates (continued)
      • repo replicating from github->hg - question for cjones
      • aki/jgriffin: b2g builds in emulator; note: aki on vacation next week.
      • once we have builds-in-emulator, do we still need armv7-noion on tegras? yes, per cjones
    • Last week:
      • progress on contractual details of how-to-do-updates
    • gonk vs gecko vs moz-gaia vs other-gaia updates (and who changes source)

Status updates

Gaia

APIs/Platform Work

  • Carrier billing (Identity/Marketplace teams - Justin Scott, Ferjm)
    • This week:
      • bug 767818 (mozPay API landed)
      • Working on Bug 768943 on Gaia side, which blocks navigator.pay implementation and will provide "system dialogs" to Gaia.
      • Along with Bug 768943, I am updating the native implementation to support the new gaia system dialogs.
    • Last week:
      • BlueVia Payment Processor prototype done for Barcelona work week. *Real* implementation start is planned for the next week (need to confirm ETA with BlueVia team).
  • Bluetooth support (ericchou, qDot, ginayeh) - Updated on 9/25
    • Socket I/O landed today (Bug 776182), server sockets up next for qDot. Code already portable to linux, should be able to land XPCOM socket access soon after milestone.
    • HFP bugs have been queued waiting for socket I/O, hopefully start landing ASAP
    • Other bug fixes landing daily
    • Moving to non-rolling bluez updates, bluetooth currently broken on phone due to that
    • Current contacts for PM questions: qDot - Low level + Audio, echou - OPP, gyeh - HFP
    • BluetoothOppManager (meta bug: Bug 792683)
      • sent fake file ok, but still working on accessing local file.
      • started cooperate with Ian Liu for file-sharing
    • BluetoothHfpManager (meta bug: Bug 788300)
      • several bugs and patches reviewed
      • handed over to Gina Yeh for rest features
    • The managers stuff depends on Bug 776182 & server socket.
    • Bug 793140 - [b2g-bluetooth] Fixed wrong return value, landed.
  • Automatic updates (Marshall, Fabrice, clee) - updated on 9/25
   FOTA ("firmware" / OS) + gecko + gaia tracking bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=b2g-fota-updates
   meta bug for gecko updates: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=715816
   Update UX tracking bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=737598
   UX requirements have been updated. Need to file more bugs from this -- big thanks to jcarpenter
   https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/System/Updates#Gecko_Updates
   Security requirements
   https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/Architecture/Runtime_Security#OS_Update
   Working on:
   Finished up initial implementation of librecovery, a high level API for the recovery partition (FOTA updates + factory reset) + unit tests (woo!):
   https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/librecovery
   RecoveryService (Gecko wrapper for librecovery) v3 patch up, needs one more review then should be ready to land
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=794092
   FOTA delivery support for Gecko: works locally, but patch needs a little more cleanup, will be posting for review ASAP
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=778349
   Landed:
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=740720
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=787380
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=787383
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=787398
   Gaia / gonk-misc / B2G / platform_build changes necessary to get "user" (production) builds working and Gaia apps installed in /system/b2g (thanks to Fabrice for help)
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=764683
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=776742
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777514
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=764684
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777939
   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=784079
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=781868
  • Push notification (Thinker) - updated on 9/26
    • Bugzilla 763198 - Push Notification APIs
      • Under review. Thinker is discussing with Justin and Jonas about the review.
      • Scalability, Reliability discussion.
  • OOP (Out-Of-Process) (Dave Hylands) - updated on 9/25
    • Apps which are currently black-listed (i.e. do not work OOP):
      • Browser - needs nested content process (Bug 761935)
      • Cost Control (XXX Gaia issue here)
      • E-Mail - SSL/TLS support (Bug 770778)
      • Messages - Crashes (Bug 775997)
      • Screen snapshot for OOP apps doesn't work (780920)
  • Security Model (jonas, bsmith, lucas, dougt) - updated on 8/21
    • cleaning up permission names and syntax (bugs 772358, 778326)
    • permission UI events (bug 773114)

See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mozilla.dev.b2g/jakY3dMGqxk/nNvgxLlwSIcJ

  • Predictive Text (Gregor, Christoph)
    • This week: Fixing up Diacritics bug, final testing
    • Last week: optimizing JS version, performance & quality.
    • currently optimized for 3 predictions, can UI people have a look at this?
    • @UI: how are we going to present suggestions / where do we place suggestions?
  • Camera (Mike Habicher) -- unable to attend meeting tonight

PLEASE take lots of pictures and let me know if you run into any problems!

    • This Week:
      • bug 779138 and 779145: onShutter/onClosed events and OnNavigation clean-up
        • review started, hoping to land this week
      • bug 791711: camera preview doesn't start when you open the camera from the gallery
        • unable to reproduce, is anyone else seeing this? -- if so, please add comments to bug
      • bug 776062: video recording -- patch is rebased
        • waiting on review for Part 1
        • need someone to volunteer to review Part 2
      • bug 786756: exposing more camera frobs
    • Last Week:
      • bug 776934: camera access permissions check -- LANDED!
      • bug 784249: preview doesn't always start
        • finally decided that this bug is done with -- RESOLVED/WORKSFORME
      • bug 786756: improving camera image quality
        • patch posted to bug that exposes constrast, saturation, sharpness, and memory colour enhancement, including a modified camera app with crude frobs you can twiddle
        • more experimentation required
      • bug 789067: clean up extraneous abstract ICameraControl class
        • patch posted to bug, waiting on review
  • Browser API (jlebar, dale)
    • This week:
      • Fixed race condition in browser initialization, which was causing orange that prevented a lot of other things
      • from landing (bug 772076)
      • X-Frame-Options re-enabled (bug 770239)
      • A window.close issue fixed (bug 764718)
    • Upcoming fixes (waiting for reviews):
      • target=_blank fix (bug 769254)
      • in-process correctness fix (bug 771273)
      • correct visibilitychange notifications (bug 762939)
      • Waiting for PM re-triage of clear-private-data / restrict cookies.

[clee]: feel free to ping me if you are blocked here

    • Last week: no update
  • Overscroll/Scroll animations (Daeken)
    • This week:
      • All patches for overscroll are up on Bugzilla, being iterated on
        • R- at the moment, work is ongoing to fix that up, should land soon
      • Working on scroll indicators
    • Last week:
      • Rendering is all good now
      • Overscroll is functional but doesn't have the proper curves assigned
      • Return from overscroll (when you let go) is instant rather than stretched out as it should be
      • Wrapped up WebGL prototype with Patryk from Gaia (weeks old, but leaving it here for reference)
  • RIL: Cell broadcast (Vicamo) - Updated on 9/26
    • Bug 787420 - B2G RIL - add setting for switching between 2G/3G: (in review now)
      • Add test script and fix backout.
    • Bug 778093 - Cell Broadcast
      • Rebase to accommodate to event object management change.
      • Clean up IDL and add CMAS interface.
  • RIL: STK (Yoshi) - Updated on 9/26
    • Bug 791664 : B2G RIL: Revise (U)Sim Service Table : landed
    • Bug 791934 : B2G STK: Implement Profile Download : ongoing
    • Bug 795047: B2G STK: Implement 'Location Status' Envelope command: ongoing
    • Bug 792335: B2G RIL: Add a Helper to write Dialling Number: landed
    • Bug 787747: B2G RIL: Add error handling for getICCContacts : send sr?

to Jonas Sicking

    • Bug 790543: B2G STK: Support Proactive command 'SET UP EVENT LIST':

send sr? to Jonas Sicking

    • Bug 790550: B2G STK: Update MozStkResponse : send sr? to sicking
    • Bug 793137: B2G STK: Support Proactive Command 'Play Tone', 'Refresh'

and 'Poll Interval' : ongoing

    • send feedback to
      • Bug 791935 : B2G STK: Implement 'MT Call Event', 'Call Connected' and

'Call Disconnected' Envelope commands

      • Bug 791939: B2G STK: Implement 'Call Control' Envelope command
    • Need Gaia app to be ready ASAP.

Roundtable