WebDev Web Engineering Community Building
9 September 2014 - First Meeting
Let's get oriented!
I'm here to help you generate ideas for community building and to help you implement them.
A model of community building is documented here:
Some guiding questions:
- Scope of projects?
- crash reporter <-- this is the primary one.
- l10n tools: elmo (dashbord), rhelmer lead for l10n tools
- misc tiny projects (doctor, bonzai)
- air mozilla; peterbe lead
- bouncer (figures out where to download ff from)
- What's does the community look like now?
- trying to figure this out
- internal focus of tools limits interest from outside contributors
- documentation edits, small changes to deploy scripts, most work contributed are done at beginning with system is setup (socorro)
- developers who would like to contribute but it's so hard to setup so by the time they are done, they don't have any energy for contributing (socorro)
- an intern has been setting up a proper package (socorro)
- most contributors doing work on the clock, don't work on things on volunteer basis
- external companies are thinking about either paying Mozilla or paying contributors to work on projects (as contractors)
- debate around whether or not product should be mozilla-agnostic so as to be friendlier to outside use and contributors
- How do folks get involved?
- docs: http://socorro.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
- active community steward: rhelmer
- mailing list: https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/tools-socorro
- wiki page: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Socorro
- irc channel (irc://irc.mozilla.org/#breakpad)
- should be listed in whatcanIdofor mozilla https://github.com/jdm/asknot/blob/master/index.html#L376 -- mediawiki,
- What do you feel are the greatest pain points or areas to improve?
- one: acquiring contributors
- two: retaining them
- someone will come to the community and be really, really active for a week and then never come back, don't know why
- in general, pretty responsive to pull requests, questions, etc.
- What do you want to accomplish this year?
- settle the corp community debate. are we project or product? <-- this.
- answering this would settle questions we have about how much time should be dedicating to community. etc.
- stakeholders in that decision: module ownership
- having it be easier to install and update, then will drive contribution
- frequency of updates might also scare off contributors
contribute.json (https://github.com/mozilla/contribute.json) standard for indicating how to contribute. root in web property that contains structured, machine-readable json file that has info for documentation, requirements, etc. goal is to be able to automate processes based on this file.
== Action Items ==