Drumbeat/events/Festival/program/Citizen Identities and Neighborhood Literacies for Open Learning
- Contact: Ingrid Erickson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Team: Ingrid Erickson (NYCLN) and Ruth Schmidt (CLN)
- Hosts: Local Learning Incubator/Badge Booth
- Proposed 'space' or theme: Local learning incubator
- Status: IN process
These two sessions are meant to build on prior sessions in the badge lab that relate badge acquisition to identity development and knowledge expertise. Here we link to a specific 'citizen' identity--the storyteller--to better understand how badges might relate to local learning context in concrete ways.
What do you want to achieve? (goal)
- Better understanding of how badges can encourage discovery of local community.
- Working model of competencies and practices that define a digital storyteller--for use locally on Nov 6 in Barcelona and/or within Chicago and New York Learning Network contexts.
- Chance to test and receive feedback on model from Drumbeat community.
Who should come? How many? For how long? (audience)
- Anyone interested in discovering more about alternative assessment strategies in informal learning contexts
- Local learning advocates
- Storytellers of all types, especially those interested in video and mobile tools
Sessions will pick up on Friday from related sessions in the Badge Lab on Thursday. Two timeslots currently dedicated to these activities, but activities can occur on the sidelines throughout Friday.
What will they do when they get there? (activities)
- Design sprint activity with sticky notes and drawing tools to imagine a badge system related to digital storytelling within a neighborhood context.
- Activity where individuals have a chance to be storytellers in Barcelona as they compete for badges.
What will you / they have at the end? (outputs)
- Participants will have FUN as well as a better insight about the relationship between local neighborhood and assessment of storytelling activities.
- Organizers will have play-tested data that can be refined back home into an initial badge system for DML learning networks.
Additional background and context
- Free Spirit Media, http://www.freespiritmedia.org/index.php
- New Youth City Learning Network, http://spotlight.macfound.org/btr/entry/new_youth_city_learning_network_creating_new_vision_out-of-school_learning/