Drumbeat/events/Festival/program/Open content intro tools
Textbook Sprint and Remixing Hackspace
- Contact: Brad Felix (brad at flatworldknowledge dot com)
- Team: Brad Felix, Flat World Knowledge, Meena Hwang, OCW Consortium, Joel Thierstein and Kathi Fletcher, Connexions
- Hosts: OCW Consortium, Flat World Knowledge, Connexions
- Status: confirmed
Check out the latest tools around Open Textbooks! Come hear about tools from Flat World Knowledge and Connexions. See how these systems work, and why. Offer feedback on future development paths.
What do you want to achieve?
- Showcase, and get feedback on, existing OER remix tools
- Help form the outline/Table of Contents of a new textbook on Webcraft / web development that we will hack throughout the festival
- Foster appreciation of the material and human resources involved in crafting OER
Who should come? How many? For how long?
Educators, learners, & anyone interested in using OER. Stay for as long as you can.
SPECIAL NOTE: Keep hacking! We have extra space allocated to small organic sessions around working textbook content. Other tool experts will be on hand to discuss approachs, support users, and gather feedback and ideas. Feel free to work at your leisure on OER in this sub-space.
What will they do when they get there?
- Hear from some leading software development teams on Open Content textbook remixing tools.
- Begin tinkering with the tools on a new Web Development textbook, or on the content of your choosing
- Give feedback and foster discussion around the current state of OER textbooks
What will you / they have at the end?
- An understanding of how the tools work
- A framework of a plan on how to help hack an Open Textbook throughout the festival
Additional background and context
We'll be working with tools from Connexions and Flat World Knowledge, but please bring others if interested. Or point us to good content. Or just bring yourself!