Drumbeat/events/Festival/program/Rethink Reading and Remake Libraries
- Contact: [tbayless at chipublib dot org]
- Team: Taylor and
- Hosts: YOUmedia @ the Chicago Public Library, iRemix, New York Public Library.
- Proposed 'space' or theme: Local learning incubator
- Learn how libraries are rethinking traditional print literacy in the digital age. Develop ways that library patrons of all ages can enhance traditional collections by adding “new” content to “old” materials.
- Collaborate and learn from librarians who are developing digital media/maker spaces for youth. Help them improve their programs.
What do you want to achieve? (goal)
- Share current and developing practices that rethink access and interaction with written materials.
- Brainstorm new ways of making traditional library materials more relevant and accessible.
- Share activities that engage teens in libraries and media centers.
- Brainstorm new activities that could engage teens and activate learning.
- Brainstorm how teen projects can be shared across locations.
Who should come? How many? For how long? (audience)
- Educators who work with teenagers and technology.
- Educators who want to discover new ways to engage teens in active learning.
- Anyone interested in online learning tools.
- Artists, scientists and more.
This activity could last around 1 hour, and can be done by a maximum of ? participants.
What will they do when they get there? (activities)
- Presentation, introductions
- Hands on test of developing tools (?)
- Brainstorming new ways to engage readers
- Hands on brainstorming for new projects
What will you / they have at the end? (outputs)
- A set of new ideas for tools aimed at rethinking how people read and share information based around written works.
- A set of examples of teen projects happening in Chicago and New York.
- A set of ideas to improve existing activities and a set of ideas to create new teen activities.
Additional background and context
- This activity will feature content located on youmediachicago.org and ym.iremix.org
- This activity will feature a tool that is in development for the YOUmedia iRemix learning network.