Before decide participate in an event, would be ideal to ask these following questions
- Do we have local community there?
- Ideally at least 2 mozillians/reps
- Costs of the travel and stay
- check travel options
- Importance of the event (locally and globally). Usually this has to be inquired if it’s the first time the event take place.
- Do we have mozillians available that could assist?
- Are local community aware of this event?
- Check if there are other event more important for the same dates
- Does the community are already committed with other events in the same period?
- Ideal timeline is 2 months to prepare. Try to reject invitation with less than 2 weeks notice
- Is the audience relevant?
- What kind of public are the target of the event?
- Why could be relevant for us?
- Could we engage with the attendees in any way??
- If the event is technical: Does it something related to Mozilla and its projects?
- check for dev-rel calendar, and/or fill a bug under dev-rel
- Corporate events: Check for the other companies that will assist, and check the event topic to see if it’s something more FLOSS oriented.
- check for brand events calendar, or dev-rel calendar. Contact owners before fill a bug.
- Check relation cost/effectiveness of the amount of people
- Do we have booth?
- Do we have enough volunteers to help and attend the booth?
- Is mandatory to participate in the event?
- What does it includes?
- Does it includes promotion in the web/media?
- What does entitle us at the event?? (how many free tickets we have, etc).
- Booth is included or has to be paid separately?
- Check the updated branding style
- After we decide to participate, there are more stuff to be aware:
- Check deadlines
- Possible interesting for Mozilla Staff?? (check topic of the event, and/or fill a bug under dev-rel for a mozilla speaker)
- Time/format of the talk/workshop
- What sizes are available?
- Location of the booth at the event
- Do we have enough mozillians to be at the booth, and participate in the talk/workshop??
- Set shifts to attend the booth
- Do we have swag left in the community?
- Do we need swag for the event?
- Check to request swag to reps
- Check swag options, not every swag fits for every event.