- 1 Plenary item
- 2 The Mobile Web demos
- 3 Community Building
- 4 Journalism
- 5 Hive
- 6 Build and Teach the Web
- 7 #ARTOFWEB [A r t + C u l t u r e o f t h e W e b]
- 8 Fuzzy Championed Demos
- 9 Science
- #embraceOpen Video
The Mobile Web demos
Making payments with Webmaker App
- Demo'ed by: Stellar; Erik
Dhiresh's Appmaker game
- Demo'ed by: Scott Downe, Becky Weir, Dhiresh Nathwani
Appmaker for Citizen Science
- Demo'ed by Brian Fuchs
Chatting and Fun with Mesh Networks
- Demo'ed by Alan + Tom
View Source Community Code Wall
- firstname.lastname@example.org @SproutFund
Collaborate on a Community Building Handbook
- This project helps learners sharing tips, artifacts, checklists, and stories all about how to nurture and support a healthy, vibrant Open Community.
Using a Spectrogram for Stakeholder Mapping and Power Analysis
- This project helps learners make or learn how to map out a project's stakeholders and learn a power analysis technique that will allow you to create tactics and strategies that will result in real change.
How can people get in touch? (Your website, Twitter handle or other URL)
New York Times 7-Minute Workout App: Firefox OS Edition
New-School Maps and Dataviz with WebGL
- @jeremybmerrill, @mtigas
Morse of Will
- private, secret Morse code messaging for journalists with Firefox OS
- @aboutaaron, @frnsys
Satellite raster data & Losing Ground Louisiana Project
- A gallery of these projects can be found here: https://toolness.makes.org/thimble/LTIxMzg4MzI2NDA=/mozfest-2014-hive-track-concept-gallery_
- This project is an initiative to encourage people to run Hive events even when cost is a barrier. Use parks, free spaces and donated materials to make digital literacy learning a reality. Run events even if you are lacking computers or devices.
- tinyurl.com/hivehouse or umesh.makes.org/popcorn/2e2u
- #hivebuzz @umesh_agarwal1
Movable Game Jam + Appmaker
- At Mozfest, we involved a series of activities and discussions around Movable Game Jams - a collaborative movement started in NY and slowly spreading like wildfire - to explore "Ideas in planning" and "Cache of game design platforms" (AppMaker) on the game jam guide. Yes? Yes!
- Nearly 100 Hive members and Hive-curious guests joined the MozFest 2014 Global Hive Meetup where they participated and in a 3-part Action Incubator series to 1) identify challenges and opportunities in their communities, 2) source solutions through a "Firestarter" rapid prototyping exercise, and 3) get a 360-degree view with feedback and a commitment pledge to keep the conversation (and work) going. That's the very spirit of Hive.
- How do we have access to connected learning? This project explored building an unbreakable internet, realizing areas where we can do without needing the internet, taking help from government or other community organizations for connectivity and accessibility of the internet, and having offline versions of cool online teaching tools - Cool teaching tools like webmaker tools should also have offline versions available.
- We are Hive initiators, we want to make Hives so that Hivers are catalysts for organizations to collaborate. Hives build interdisciplinary and intergenerational learning and opportunities in communites that exchange and share knowledge. We want to create experiences where people learn and teach each other, investigate issues and create solutions, and provide resources and support to successfully reach shared and unique goals. In short, "Let's change the world one Hive at a time"
- Mozilla supports community members to become heroes of the Web — the parents, leaders and mentors who are best-positioned to mobilize their communities and engage those who are not represented at events such as MozFest. Here is an idea of how we can make this even better!
- Community Champion fellowship:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GCqgwO6gB9VFlDoA_UzwKQ8X7_3UcTAN_7WHocD900I/edit
- Community champion fellowship form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1eWlkxCwY9U_aZiPrIQCBuPoXE_uz_s1MAtnTGDS43rY/viewform
Build and Teach the Web
Learning Guides for Community Makers
- This project helps organizers plan ideas for creative technology and making for young people in their community
- @erhardt; email@example.com
- This project helps learners learn what's inside our tech and the sustainability implications of our use of devices.
Hacking the Gender Gap
- This project helps learners understand the pervasive nature of the gender gap problem.
#ARTOFWEB [A r t + C u l t u r e o f t h e W e b]
- All 10 of the featured artworks from our interactive art gallery and the #ARTOFWEB zine will be available on http://mozfestartoftheweb.tumblr.com
Redesign Your Cultural Heritage
- This project helps learners make or learn [_x_] by ..."connecting digital cultural heritage to communities of designers and artists who wish to use open cultural content -- data, pictures, sound, videos -- as inspiration and sources for new derivative works, such as animations and films, media art and installations, textile patterns, and other design artefacts.
- @eCreativeEU -- we are Sanna Marttila, Neea Laakso, Kati Hyyppä (Aalto University), Christina Holm (Spild af Tid ApS) and James Morley (Europeana)
ART EXHIBIT: "When we awoke to our folly, it was too late"
- This project helps learners make or learn by providing context for understanding complex issues around the private ownership of web services. This exhibit has been an interactive digital scavenger hunt for participants -- one set in a world where all communication on the Internet is controlled by private companies.
- artist is @ossington - ginger coons
BLOCKTYPE: Designing A Font with Minecraft
- This project helps learners make or learn [_x_] by providing an unusual interface for learning, drawing and editing fonts in a participatory way: Minecraft! Type design tools have been historically specialized and complicated, and usually restricted to learned practitioners. With Blocktype, we proposed a new experimental viewpoint over the font design process. We try to flip the solemnity and seriousness of type design by using this retro font editor.
Fuzzy Championed Demos
Mozilla Web Compatibility Team
- @webcompat on Twitter, #webcompat on Mozilla IRC server
Text as data: NLTK for the digital humanities
- This project helps humanists and social scientists to analyze large bodies of text using the Python Natural Language Toolkit
- Fiona Tweedie (Univ. of Melbourne), @FCTweedie
Open Science Skills Map
- Billy Meinke and Fabiana Kubke (Creative Commons)