This page is the place to learn how to start contributing to the Firefox front-end. The Firefox front-end is the name for the user interface for Firefox, and it includes various pieces such as:
- the default theme
- Social API
- pages within the browser such as the New Tab page, home page, etc
- and more!
The goal of the Firefox front-end team is to make a kickass product out of the Gecko rendering engine. People working on the Firefox front-end use HTML/XUL/JS/CSS/C++.
- IRC Channel: #fx-team on irc.mozilla.org
- Twitter: @FirefoxNightly
- Mailing list: Firefox Dev
- Iterative Development Meetings/Info
- Old Weekly meetings: Weekly Phone Calls
The best place to get in contact with people working on the front-end is by joining the #fx-team IRC channel at irc://irc.mozilla.org/fx-team
If you have questions about specific parts of the code, here are some good people to talk to:
- Theme: dao, jaws, mattn, gijs, shorlander
- Toolbars and Customization: Unfocused, jaws, mconley
- Social API: mixedpuppy, markh, jaws, felipe
- Downloads: paolo
- History/Bookmarks: mak
- Panorama/Tab Groups: ttaubert
- New Tab page: ttaubert
- Session Restore: ttaubert, smacleod
- Installer/Updater: rstrong, bbondy
- Add-ons: Unfocused, mossop
- Find bar: mikedeboer
- Electrolysis: felipe
- Thumbnails: adw, markh, ttaubert
Reporting Bugs and Requesting Features
To report a bug/usability papercut/smaller feature/etc, file a bug in the Firefox product on Mozilla's Bugzilla. Ask on IRC to get help in choosing which component the bug should go in.
To suggest a larger feature, gather use cases, user stories, a statement of the problem your feature is solving, etc and post them to the mailing list where we can flesh the feature out as a community.
Mentored and Good First Bugs
List of available mentored and good first bugs
If you want to pick one of these up, feel free to ask for help in attacking the bug right in the bug itself, in #fx-team on irc.mozilla.org, or on the firefox-dev mailing list!
- For people who like to code but haven't found anything above, What can you do for Mozilla?
- For people who would are not programmers: Contributions by Time Available
- Mozilla Developer Network
- Mozilla Developer's Cheatsheet by Brian Bondy
- MXR - Mozilla Source Code Cross-reference
- DXR - Newer Cross-reference
- "Bugzilla for Humans" video, by Johnath Nightingale
- Bugzilla Tweaks Add-on
- BugzillaJS Add-on
- From Web-dev to Firefox Hacker - slides from a David Dahl's talk at MozCamp Asia in Kuala Lumpur
- Adding a Feature to Firefox, by Paolo Amadini
Do you have ideas to improve this page but not enough time to actually make those improvements today? Please add them to this list so that they won't become forgotten! :)
Need to include:
- more about who to talk to about what (ux, core features, toolkit stuff, platform specific, link to mobile gateway)
- build instructions
- firefox reviewers page
- firefox code review page
- module owners page
- where to report a bug
- which irc channels (#fx-team, #ux)
- list main & related bugzilla components (linked)
- what needs help?
- what's our highest priorities? features page
- hacking Firefox MDN page
- bugs ahoy
- ohloh and any other social competition angles