Today’s meeting leader is: jaws
- 1 General Topics / Roundtable
- 2 Friends of the Firefox team
- 3 Project Updates
- 3.1 Accessibility
- 3.2 Add-ons / Web Extensions
- 3.3 Applications
- 3.4 Developer Tools
- 3.5 Fission
- 3.6 Form Autofill
- 3.7 Installer & Updater
- 3.8 Lint
- 3.9 New Tab Page
- 3.10 NodeJS
- 3.11 Password Manager
- 3.12 PDFs & Printing
- 3.13 Performance
- 3.14 Performance Tools
- 3.15 Picture-in-Picture
- 3.16 Privacy/Security
- 3.17 Remote Protocol (Chrome DevTools Protocol subset)
- 3.18 Search and Navigation
- 3.19 WebRTC UI
- 3.20 Bookmarks & Downloads
- 4 This week I learned
General Topics / Roundtable
- Code coverage added to SearchFox
- Project meeting
Friends of the Firefox team
Fixed more than one bug
- Niklas Baumgardner
New contributors (🌟 = first patch)
- 🌟 Niklas Baumgardner fixed the Picture-in-Picture tab indicator icon so that it no longer acts as the mute toggle. We show the mute toggle over the favicon instead.
- Chris Jackson added a test to ensure that the Picture-in-Picture keyboard shortcut chooses the right video.
Add-ons / Web Extensions
Addon Manager & about:addons
- AddonManager.maybeInstalBuiltinAddon has been fixed to return a promise, as it was actually already documented in its jsdoc inline comment (Bug 1665150)
- kmag landed some Fission-related changes to make some additional parts of the WebExtensions internals Fission-aware (in particular related to the “activeTab permission’s window matching” and “checking parent frames on content script injection”) - Bug 1646573
Sync and Storage
- DevTools Fission status page (wiki)
- Nightly experiment to roll out hopefully by next week. 7 bugs remain. Link to monitoring dashboard.
Installer & Updater
- Gijs updated us to newer ESLint and eslint-plugin-no-unsanitized versions so we can now use `??=` and other logical assignment operators.
New Tab Page
- No updates (I’m also out today)
- Bug 1134852 - Update password manager recipes from a server/kinto/Remote Settings. Thanks tgiles, this was a complex task spanning multiple products and components
- Bug 1626764 - The "Sign in to Firefox" button should not have the label wrap to two lines. Thanks to contributor kenrick95
- Bug 1647934 - Clean up a user's login backup when it may no longer be useful
- Bug 1660231 - Enable MASTER_PASSWORD_ENABLED telemetry probe on release
- Bianca is starting to transition off to her new role in the Privacy and Security Product team, thanks for your service!
- And we said goodbye to Severin, thanks again for all your work!
Emma added support for setting custom margins bug 1664570
- Sam fixed a bug where printers reporting no available paper sizes would see errors bug 1663503
- Mark has a patch to support submitting the print form immediately after opening with Enter bug 1666776
- We’ve been ramping up our test coverage
Doug has patches up for review for animating it and is continuing to work on fixing bugs and oddities with it. Eg. ensuring it correctly handles maximized windows, which is hairier than expected.
Emma has been looking at getting the bounds of the urlbar rect for the early blank window paint
(Reminder: set the pref browser.startup.preXulSkeletonUI to dogfood this. Windows-only.)
- As a team we’ve started discussing problems and paths forward for BHR.
- Gijs has a patch for slow script telemetry from the parent process. This is to report on telemetry the cases where we would have previously shown a slow script dialog, which isn’t useful for the parent process.
- Gijs landed more IO-off-the-main-thread work for downloads
- You can name the profiles by clicking on the top left profile title now.
- It's now possible to delete the profiles you’ve uploaded. Go to https://profiler.firefox.com/uploaded-recordings/ and click on the delete button for the profiles you want to delete.
- Florian added a GetService marker that shows when an xpcom service gets first instantiated. The marker text only shows the cid; the contract id, or service name is shown in a label frame in the stack. Example profile: https://share.firefox.dev/2SutTKn
Our contributors made some improvements on the track context menu:
Track context menu now shows only the right clicked process instead of showing everything. (Thanks adityachirania!)
Added a Hide "Track Name" to the track context menu. (Thanks CipherGirl!)
Students are currently working on:
- The team is focusing on new opportunities related to vertical search, experiments will follow.
Consolidation of aliases and search keywords - Bug 1650874
UX working on better layout of search preferences
Development is temporarily on pause to concentrate on higher priorities
Urlbar Update 2
Polishing the feature to release in Firefox 83.
Clicking on the urlbar opens Top Sites also in Private Browsing windows, unless they have been disabled in urlbar preferences. Bug 1659752
Search Mode will always show search suggestions at the top. Bug 1664760
Tab-to-search has been enabled in Nightly! When the urlbar autofills an origin having an installed search engine, users can press tab or down to pick a special shortcut result and enter Search Mode. Bug 1667470
Device sharing state indicator icons have been added to the system tray on Windows:
The global sharing indicator now only displays if the user is sharing their screen, and the microphone and camera mute toggles have been hidden by default.
You can turn these back on by going to about:preferences#experimental, and checking “WebRTC Global Mute Toggles”.
These are experimental because many sites don’t pay attention to the “muted” event, so they don’t update their UI when mute state is set.
- The global sharing indicator is currently slated to ride out in Firefox 83.
Bookmarks & Downloads
- Micah landed a keyboard shortcut to show/hide the Bookmarks Toolbar (Ctrl+Shift+B on Windows/Linux, Cmd+Shift+B on macOS). The Library will now use Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+O
This week I learned
[Luca] If by running `mach static-analysis check path/to/your_new_file.cpp` locally you do not get any of the results you see on phabricator, then it is likely that the "compile_commands.json" file you have locally is outdated (apparently `mach static-analysis check` does not currently check that automatically):
An easy workaround is to just remove the "compile_commands.json" file (or manually regenerating it using “mach build-backend -b CompileDB”) and run `mach static-analysis check ...` again, the json file will be recreated and the cpp file should now be checked as expected.