- 1 Details
- 2 General Topics / Roundtable
- 3 Friends of the Firefox team
- 4 Project Updates
- 4.1 Add-ons
- 4.2 E10s
- 4.3 Firefox Core Engineering (+ team formerly known as "performance engineering")
- 4.4 Form Autofill
- 4.5 Go Faster
- 4.6 Platform UI and other Platform Audibles
- 4.7 Privacy/Security
- 4.8 Quality of Experience
- 4.9 Search
- 4.10 Sync/FxA
- 4.11 Video control visual update (bug 1271765)
- 4.12 Content Handling Enhancement
- 5 This week I learned…
- Every two weeks - 8:00am Pacific, 11:00am Eastern, 16:00 UTC
- Handy local meeting time link
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 91337
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 91337
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 91337
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 91337
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 91337
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 91337
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 91337
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 91337
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 91337
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 91337
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- irc.mozilla.org #fx-team for backchannel
- "Firefox" Vidyo Room
General Topics / Roundtable
(tips/tricks/FYI, productivity improvements, industry news)
- Tomorrow: Firefox All Hands Team Meeting, hosted by Mark. Please attend!
- Firefox 52 ESR will be the last version to support Window XP and Vista
- Selection events shipping in Fx 52!
- Call for action: Help ridding tests of unsafe CPOWs
- High Contrast mode improvements and how you can help
- Update on L20n in Firefox
- Hitting performance snags when touching XUL nodes dynamically using JS
- Needs someone to debug a test failure of one specific unit test
- Test it out on https://hg.mozilla.org/projects/larch/
- [mconley] Note that new contributors are unlikely to know which flags to set. Monitor your mentored bugs carefully!
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=settings <-- get X-Bugzilla headers put into the email body, and then you can search / label / filter in GMail
- https://wiki.mozilla.org/BMO/UserGuide/Filtering_Bugzilla_Email_in_GMail <-- X-Bugzilla headers for great success
- If you're using Thunderbird, you can add a Message Filter for the X-Bugzilla-Mentors header when it contains your Bugzilla email address, and set a label.
- [RyanVM] Shout-out for some nice design docs from the Taipei team, making test plans much easier to write
- Download Panel overhaul
- Decoder Shutdown and Block Playback feature
- [Standard8] More eslint work is ongoing to enable more rules & coverage. jaws/Mossop/Standard8 are main co-ordinators.
- Mentored bugs for enabling more directories: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=1311338&hide_resolved=1
- no-undef https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1311312
- no-unused-vars https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1312277
- [mikedeboer] is today's host, who will it be next week?
Friends of the Firefox team
(Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Introductions)
- Resolved bugs (excluding employees): http://mzl.la/1MIprek
- More than one bug fixed:
- Tomislav Jovanovic :zombie
- New Contributors
- David Malaschonok ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=926579 )
- William CS ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1295000 )
- Sumit Tiwari ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1309249 )
- More than one bug fixed:
- Intending to implement WebExtensions permissions https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1308292
- Working with Panos team on the elm branch which will be required for this
- Aiming for 53
- Change to SDK to dramatically increase performance, currently being discussed if we should uplift to 50
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8bwrri1m85apck/lots-of-sdk.mov?dl=0 (before and after sort of worse case)
- More add-ons to be turned in Firefox 50 e10s
- A top crash that's preventing us from turning e10s on for users with ru locales is being reviewed and should be uplifted to 51
- Tab switch spinner investigations ongoing. We've got BHR stacks for hangs that occur during tab switch, and we're posting them / examining them in bug 1310255
- The team is going to do a funnelcake study to see how e10s impacts user retention and usage: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1200276
- Whitelisting add-ons that have multiprocessCompatible=true in their install.rdf is blocked on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1309351 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1309350
- Might slip target of Firefox 50
- Touch events have been enabled in Firefox 52 with e10s enabled: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1272268
- RTL support for Windows and OS X has been signed off by SV for Firefox 51
- RTL support for Linux has landed for Firefox 52
- Multiple content processes is going to be enabled in Firefox 52 Nightly ( https://mzl.la/297iqN4 ) but will not ride the trains just yet
Firefox Core Engineering (+ team formerly known as "performance engineering")
- Crash stuff:
- landed client-side stackwalking (added basic stacks in crash pings) on Nightly and Aurora last week; aiming for client stacks from release in 52 (fingers crossed): https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1280469
- content crash pings are landing this week (riding): https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1293656
- Data reporting stuff:
- telemetry-based stability dashboard (for relman) WIP: https://chutten.github.io/telemetry_crashes/: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1297146
- Update/Install stuff:
- reducing update size by changing compression algorithm: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=641212
- lots of bugs landed related to restarting update downloads (instead of restarting) due to network/connectivity errors, etc (stemming from 43.0.1 and 44.x orphan remediation analyses): https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_Core_Engineering#Orphan_remediation
- CrashSender to begin in 3-4 weeks: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1310703
- Flash blocking experimentation is needed SOON, definition and mechanics are underway: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=1277346&hide_resolved=1
- Lots of dashboard needs, new hire starting in 3 weeks will be helping on that
- symbolapi.m.o relaunch is blocked by Ops uptake
- Bug 1300988 - Implement an API in the content process to fill a form with a specific form autofill profile using @autocomplete
- Bug 1309481 - Remove leftover code specific to Logins from JSONFile.jsm and add tests
- Bug 1310049 - Refactor FormLikeFactory to its own module for use by Form Autofill
- Bug 1296638 - Switch toolkit Form Autocomplete popup from using a <xul:tree> to using a <xul:richlistbox>
- In Progress
- Bug 1016733 - Implement form auto-fill profile storage
- Bug 1300990 - Implement an API in the parent process to decide which values of an autofill profile would be filled in which field
- Bug 1019471 - Dialog to add/edit/view an autofill profile
- Next areas of focus are likely to be improving the system add-on roll-out facilities (tools to make publishing easier) & update times (time from publish to when a user is running with the update).
- Restartless system add-ons likely to land soon
- Other issues being discussed (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1307569)
Platform UI and other Platform Audibles
- scottwu's <input type="time"> picker UI has landed in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1283384 but is disabled by default behind dom.forms.datetime
- GMP installation for 64-bit OS's was fixed by daleharvey in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1309463
- seanlee has a WIP patch in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1217162 to show contextual feedback when the user is entering login data into an insecure form
- mconley is working with layout to make it easier to style checkbox / radio boxes: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=418833
- Simplify Page feature for Print Preview has been disabled in a few areas:
- Only enabled on Nightly for Linux until https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1306295 is fixed
- Enabled on Windows up to early beta until https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1306294 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1306299 are fixed
- Captive portal work picking up steam. Hoping to let it ride the trains in 52.
- The latest patch for permission prompts is in the second round of reviews.
- Doing a second user research study this week to determine if removing the close button (x) from the permission prompts is problematic for our users.
- 2 out of 3 platform bugs regarding XUL panels that are blocking the merge of elm to m-c have landed. Thanks Firefox Core Engineering!
- Bug 1240829 - Contextual insecure password warning is still targeting 52. Getting help from seanlee, jkt, mconley, and daleharvey.
Quality of Experience
- Evan Tseng is looking at Reader Mode QX bugs.
- Firefox Theming API demo building on cedar twig is chugging along:
- Meta bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1306671
- K-9 landed dynamic themes support demo!
- mikedeboer landed Chrome theme compat demo
- working on Developer Edition theme demo
- Fixed various regressions around the awesomebar (1290490, 1294887, 1295253, 1296366, 1306308), but more importantly, fixed some telemetry bugs (1306639) that were discovered after the recent changes for one-off search buttons in the location bar. The beta channel proved immune to these issues, so the SHIELD study for unified search can proceed as planned.
- Posted a new build for proposed changes to the mouseover and key handling behavior for feedback from UX (1295458).
- Started planning for the Cliqz Test Pilot experiment.
- Not Search-specific, but a notable landing nevertheless: Make browser_parsable_css.js test cover all CSS files we are shipping (1221383).
- [past] heard there is much work going on in this area wrt updating and modernizing the desktop code.
Video control visual update (bug 1271765)
- The HTML-based UI is done but blocked on a needed layout change (patch ready for review)
- Will start adding tests for the new UI, the newly added CC-button feature, and overall UI afterwards.
Content Handling Enhancement
Download Panel [seanlee / Rex Lee]
- Resolved 950058 - Split each download item so that all of the right part of it activates the action
- Resolved 1289139 - Use SVG for the button icons in the Downloads Panel
Dialog Removal [alphan]
- Investigating approaches and feasibility of bug 1270405's dependent bugs
- Waiting for Peter Dolanjski's feedback on re-scoping with Paolo
RDF Replacement [alphan/eden] working on these
- 1287664 - Revise helperApp.js and(/or) enhance nsIHandlerService API based on the result of bug 1287661
- 1287658 - Implement migration from mimeTypes.rdf to the JSON Handler Store
Protocol Handler Registration Flow [eden]
- Discussing UX spec with Gijs and Paolo