Today’s meeting leader is: K88hudson
- 1 General Topics / Roundtable
- 2 Friends of the Firefox team
- 3 Project Updates
- 3.1 Accessibility
- 3.2 Add-ons / Web Extensions
- 3.3 Applications
- 3.4 Firefox Accounts
- 3.5 Sync and Storage
- 3.6 Push
- 3.7 Developer Tools
- 3.8 Fission
- 3.9 Form Autofill
- 3.10 Installer & Updater
- 3.11 Lint
- 3.12 New Tab Page
- 3.13 NodeJS
- 3.14 Password Manager
- 3.15 PDFs & Printing
- 3.16 Performance
- 3.17 Performance Tools
- 3.18 Picture-in-Picture
- 3.19 Privacy/Security
- 3.20 Remote Protocol (Chrome DevTools Protocol subset)
- 3.21 Search and Navigation
- 3.22 User Journey
- 3.23 WebRTC UI
- 4 This week I learned
General Topics / Roundtable
- [mconley] We have a small front-end Desktop project getting started that would be a good opportunity for a contributor to dive in. Interested? Contact Rachel for more details.
- [Mossop] Limiting access to this meeting, discussion: https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/firefox-dev/c/7u0SuzSUKMU
Friends of the Firefox team
Fixed more than one bug
- Farooq AR
New contributors (🌟 = first patch)
- <Will be filled in after the meeting>
Add-ons / Web Extensions
Addon Manager & about:addons
- Shane worked on some AOM changes needed to allow Firefox to “stage install” langpacks for app updates (Bug 1639705, Bug 1648214, Bug 1648818)
- Fixed an issue that was preventing Firefox from fully unregister extensions that did fail early during their startup (Bug 1651844)
- dw-dev contributed a fix to the downloads API to ensure that the ‘Save As’ dialog will use a file filter derived from the filename set by the extension in the download API call (Bug 1651175). Thanks to dw-dev for contributing this nice enhancement!
- Fixed a regression on the downloads API when used in private browsing mode on an extension-created blob url (originally introduced in Firefox 79 by Bug 1579911), the fix has been uplifted to Firefox 79 (Bug 1649463)
Sync and Storage
- Background page thumbnailer is now fission compatible
- Only four bugs left in milestone 6a, three have patches.
Installer & Updater
Upgraded ESLint to 7.5.0 (from 6.8.0). As a result in-tree ESLint now has support for globalThis. We also have several new rules enabled by default:
New Tab Page
- No updates
- Dismissed login capture doorhanger does not show when password field is edited and in its own Shadow Root
- Password Manager code does not run when DOMInputPasswordAdded occurs between DOMContentLoaded and load events
- Automatically restore from logins-backup.json when logins.json is missing or corrupt
- Hold CSV Import to Nightly for Fx80
- [Doorhanger V2 Show all base domain logins in doorhanger] and a bunch of related doorhanger follow-ups
- Working on moving the print/print preview to be a tab modal Meta bug Mocks
Targeting 81, hoping to turn it on in Nightly as an experiment or entirely within a week
Currently we have some print settings which are mostly functional bug with some bugs we need to work out. Modal and preview coming soon
- bigiri is fixing the last few dozen failing tests with porting ASRouter to JSWindowActors
- The DLL prefetch experiment is still underway. The team hopes to have a sense of the impact on user startup times after we’ve collected more data.
dthayer has moved Nightly to Stage 3 of FastShutdown
A really nice dropoff in shutdown times!
Seeing a really nice dropoff on twinopen Talos times! We’re definitely trending in the right direction.
- Gijs has landed probes for the slow script notification warnings
Another shoutout to the IOUtils module by keefer!
Still somewhat in early stages, but usable enough to do OMT reading, writing and stating of files!
- mconley is soliciting feedback on a plan for making it easier for the front-end to annotate BHR reports
- Changed the UI to use sample counts, and added explicit support for traced profiles.
- Renamed IPC message tooltip labels to be more descriptive.
IPC Speed -> IPC Send Duration
IPC Latency -> IPC Recv Latency
- Started to use the appropriate time unit in the marker chart.
- Recently landed patches to experiment with new toggle variations and placement
- Glitch prototype
Toggle experiment preferences:
- Default = -1
- Mode 1 = 1
- Mode 2 = 2
- “right” = right side (default)
- “left” = left side
media.videocontrols.picture-in-picture.video-toggle.has-used (only affects Mode 2)
- true - the user has used Picture-in-Picture before in 80+
- false (default) - the user has not used Picture-in-Picture before in 80+
- Reliability and clean-up fixes to modern configuration and region detection
- Region.jsm is now documented at https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/toolkit/modules/toolkit_modules/Region.html
- Tail search suggestions have been enabled for release in Firefox 80 - Bug 1653085
- Resolved a bug causing some characters to be dropped when typing fast - Bug 1653436
- Resolved a bug where autofill may not happen for some bookmarked origins - Bug 1654316
- The work on design update2 started, but it’s not yet ready for Nightly testing. You can check the proposed non-definitive designs: one-off-shortcuts, tab-to-search
- Showing locale/geo-matching default sites on about:welcome matching about:newtab
- Preparing multistage welcome experiment analysis of v1/78 and starting v2/79
- Improving some multistage about:welcome accessibility (hover-only text) and localization (multiline “zap” style) issues
- Supporting “One Scene Send-to-Device” snippet template for mobile, e.g., Fenix
- Holding the new WebRTC global sharing indicator to Nightly for now while we sort out default placement.
- We’re going to ship it on in an experiment in Firefox 80 on release to get a sense of how it’s being used in the wild