Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 Press & Public Reactions
- 5 Questions and Concerns
- 6 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
- Jay to come back next week with an update on the feature inbox triage process -- We triaged on Monday, dispatched about half the items, others need more information and use cases before they can be evaluated.
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- The Firefox 3.5 EOL plan has been sent to release-drivers, will be sent wider today (dev-planning and blog post) if no issues are found
- Firefox 3.6.18 will be a normal release and will release at the same time as Firefox 5
- http://glow.mozilla.com showing uptake of MU nicely! :-)
Firefox 5 (Desktop)
- Add-on compatibility update from fligtar
- Automatic compatibility bump tools to be completed this week
- Aiming to do the 5.* bump in 2 weeks
- Merge to beta happens next week
- Does that mean the Firefox 5 beta release will be before the 5.* AMO compatibility bump?
- yes, quite likely. We expect to be ready to ship within a week of the merge, and since we're creating new tools for the AMO compatibility bump there's some risk to their date. After we've tested the beta merge and are ready to go we'll see where we are on the compatibility front before making the release decision.
- Current 5.* add-on compatibility is 29%, half our normal compatibility when we've shipped a beta. We don't know how this will impact uptake.
Firefox 6 (Desktop)
- Merge to aurora happens in 2 weeks
- Blog post about when to expect the channel updates
Firefox 5 (Mobile)
- Scheduled for May 17
Firefox 6 (Mobile)
- Scheduled for May 24
- Merging mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora
- Branding for Aurora has landed
- Android package ID is org.mozilla.fennec_aurora so aurora can be installed side-by-side with other channels
Myk is in China and I (Dave Mason) can't hear on the phone - read the wiki!
- Released 1.0b5 last Thursday
- On track to release first RC ~ May 25th
- On track to complete 1.0 by early June
- Grouperfish is about 2-4 weeks out from being integrated into Input. Michael is working on a few blockers
More positive this week than last week, overall.
- Windows Media Player not compatible 
- Extension compatibility (on the plus side, people say it's more responsive/faster startup)
- Youtube buffering issues  or maybe laggy/slow 
- Netflix streaming doesn't work 
- Flash game loading issues/slow. 
- Printing  -- Might be incompatible HP web printing plugin/extension (unclear) which seems to break printing on any printer, but especially web printing.
- Can't open PDFs 
- might be: bug 613756 or bug 642454
- Yahoo (can't attach files to mail) 
- Mouse scrolling issues (may be related to having a PDF open/open in background) 
- might be: bug 613756 or bug 642454
- After major update, the following issues came back:
- Want to downgrade
- How to save tabs
- Refresh button
- Back button
- Status bar
- Extensions: mainly IDM
- Much slower (?)
- PDF-related issues (can't open, scrolling around PDFs)
Press & Public Reactions
- WebGL flaws hit Firefox and Chrome
- New graphics engine imperils users of Firefox and Chrome
- Firefox and Chrome WebGL poses "multiple significant security issues"
Questions and Concerns
- Will there be a product-level signoff before the merge to beta, as per the new development process which examines whether the issues being tracked are in a good enough state to merge forward to that audience? (beltzner)
- LegNeato: yes! this will happen at Monday's [Firefox/Beta|Firefox Beta] meeting
- Axel: did mail outreach to locales on aurora yesterday, feedback says that we won't have complete status before monday. should be expecting some landings on beta post branch. open questions about double merge onto aurora as well as beta - possible impact to next merge from aurora->beta. joduinn and axel to take offline.
Actions this week
- Cheng to coordinate with product marketing and UX to determine what, if any, response we should have to the problems of 4.0 users being confused about session restore changes.