Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
- Vidyo Room: Warp Core
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 UX & User Research
- 5 Market Insights
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
Release (3.6, 6) | Beta (7) | Aurora (8)
- Had to do a chemspill release for an issue with DigiNotar.
- Style inspector! https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=582596
- History deleting much faster in previously horribly slow cases https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=681420
- Temporal URLs for audio and video! https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=648595
- Further Lion-izing of Firefox on Mac 10.7 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=679708
- Type Inference has landed!
- This is Brian Hackett's work + some help from contributor Jan de Mooij
- 30% improvement on V8-v6 benchmark
- Even more on Kraken, fast on lots of other stuff too
m-c Nightly (9)
- Beta (7) - Instant Sync
- Firefox 9+:
Release (1.0 -> Firefox 5 & 6)
- per last week: 1.0 is not fully compatible with Firefox 7, so we will be repacking 1.0-based addons with 1.1
- mossop, dbuc, myk, and clouserw met this morning, crafted a plan to test the repacking process before initiating it for reals, and are starting to execute on it today (test plan)
Stabilization (1.1 -> Firefox 7)
- first candidate build, 1.1rc1, spun and distributed yesterday, Tuesday, August 30 (release announcement)
- testing so far has identified one potential blocker (regression bug 679554)
- final release remains on schedule for Tuesday, September 13 (draft of release notes)
Development (1.2 -> Firefox 8)
- development continues apace
- Grouperfish stood up and integrated with Input by the end of September; To do list and documentation can be found on their Read the Docs home
- Tell Us More slated for end of September, beginning of October
- Some reports that Flash is "marked incompatible" in 6.0.1 and that some flash video isn't working.
- Actually "Adobe Flash Plugin 184.108.40.206" is a malware extension... *shrug*.
- Some dutch comments with "ID cards" not working but my Dutch is rusty.
- New: Users are not sure where the Unsorted Bookmarks in the bookmarks menu comes from. (caused by bug 625325)
- Everything else much the same as before
- New: We may have broken session restore from about:home in a recent beta but menu still works.
- Loss of http is sad-making
- 32 new questions last week
- 12879 views on mobile support home page, up from 11557 last week.
- 929 'I have this problem too' votes, up from 700 last week
- No flash and new device support continue to be most voted problems on SUMO
FF6 comments (78); all languages:
Dissatisfiers FF6; 1 star & 2 star ratings (35), week of August 22-28:
- slow and unstable=25
- no flash=7
- UI=6 (zoom, copy/paste)
- hogs resources=6
- update broke it=2 (DroidX)
FF7 comments (58); all languages:
Dissatisfiers FF7; 1 star and 2 star ratings (23), week of August 16-22:
- UI=9 (text entry issues)
- no flash=11
- Praise: 331
- Issue: 96 (25 no flash, 6 slow performance, and UI: history/zoom/text reflow; are the clustered issues)
- Praise: 116
- Issue: 99 (20 no flash, 6 slow performance, and UI: history/zoom/complexity; are the clustered issues)
UX & User Research
- Chrome Dev builds now sync a users "Omnibox history" (i.e. all search and navigation requests and history) and Chromium builds show an option to sync "Foreign sessions" (i.e. tabs on other machines).
- Chrome Canary Builds show an option to "Enable automatic sign in for Google sites", although in testing, this isn't fully functional.
- Google released an offline Gmail app - Chrome lost Gmail offline capability at the start of the summer after dropping support for Gears.
- MuteTab was released - an extension that allows you to quieten a specific Chrome tab.
- Google is placing increasing emphasis on gaming for the Chrome platform beyond casual gaming. Google is the Premium Sponsor of New Game conference, and has been copromoting a number of games in the Chrome app store, and there have been discussions in the Chromium project about integrating the Joystick API.
- Fastsoft, a "world leader web acceleration", announced it will integrate mod_pagespeed, a web server module to take advantage of the SPDY protocol.
- A Beta of Windows 8 is expected at the BUILD conference, starting September 12th; it's likely that an IE10 beta will be released, at the very minimum, product features (beyond platform support) can be expected announced.
Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.
- Opera reported record results, with most revenues coming from mobile operator deals
- Mobotap launched an iPhone version of the Dolphin browser with a similar look and feel, as well as key features
- Samsung presented 3 new Bada handsets and is preparing new Android device announcements tomorrow
- The first, 7-inch, Amazon tablet is rumoured to be shipping in October, followed by a 10-inch version early 2012
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- Mozilla Brings the Best of Honeycomb to Firefox for Tablets
- Firefox to talk pretty to tablets, one day
- Mozilla Unveils Slick "Firefox For Tablets" Web Browser
- Fraudulent Google credential found in the wild
- Fake Google Certificate Puts Gmail at Risk
- Fraudulent Google Certificate Points To Internet Attack
Questions, Comments, FYI
- myk: Where's the template for these notes? I'd like to edit the section title that shows up each week for the Add-on SDK.
- What do we think of shipping the update 4 days after pushing to website? -- This will really help the add-on situation IMO. (Cheng)
Actions this week
- Dave Mason to come back with information about jetpack adoption metrics as viewed through AMO
- Michelle to scour mobile "flash fail" feedback to see if it's clustered around a small number of sites