From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

(Gecko 1.9 meeting minutes « previous week | index)

This wiki page embodies two separate meetings (Firefox 3 on Tuesday then Gecko 1.9 on Wednesday), listed below, which detail the progress of Firefox 3, code named: Gran Paradiso, and the Gecko 1.9 progress. Previously, these meeting notes where separated and we sometimes covered the same information twice with conflicting results. The date/time/channel/number is listed in each meeting's section.

Firefox 3 Meeting

Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays - Firefox 3 - 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern
  • Mozilla <option> conference room
  • Wednesdays - Gecko 1.9 - 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern
  • Mozilla <table> conference room
  • 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
  • #granparadiso for backchannel

PRD Status Update

  • We have started to implement the change management process for the PRD
    • Outstanding Requests to review: bug 379313
    • AI: Basil to add microformats requiremenst to staffed PRD.
  • PRD has been wiki-fied - thanks Deb - Firefox3/Product_Requirements_Document

Open actions for PRD progress

  • AI: All. Potentially enabling HTTP Pipelining - Decision
    • Inform the decision:
      • Wikipedia Article - Mozilla Article - W3C Spec
      • Do any web sites use it? Doesn't appear to be
      • Is it enabled by default with Apache? Yes, part of HTTP/1.1 protocol
      • Does it break the web - proxy servers? Anecdotally, yes
      • Technical risk: what is involved?
      • Any other browsers supporting it?
  • Working list has been closed - Firefox3/Firefox_Requirements_Meetings/Follow_up_Actions.
  • AI: Mconnor to post to blog - Find an owner for "Get all Linux distros involved in Firefox development" - ubuntu, suse, redhat, fedora, etc
  • AI: Myk/Mconnor - "Rich search results"- proposal, including adding proposed PRD items. What's the resolution?

Work in progress

  • Places Bookmarks
    • 16 open blockers (bug 370099) for turning on bookmarks by default.
  • Password Manager
    • JS rewrite up for review (bug 374324). mconnor is working through the review still (650k diff!). hopefully landing by Friday
    • next step is design work on other PRD items
  • Content Handling
    • Fusion prototype getting pushed to Labs soon, other work ramping up soon
  • Security UI
    • Page info updates landed for a4, more things coming in a5 (johnath on vacation this week)


  • Proposed Schedule
  • Added Alpha 5 detailed deliverables and cut-off dates
  • How can we use the BZ field: "Target Milestone" to help track what gets delivered in Alpha 5 and subsequent Alphas?
  • AI: Mconnor to write up proposal for how to use Target Milestone and blocker flags for tracking release.

QA Status/Topics

Localization Topics

Round table

Gecko 1.9 Meeting

Meeting Details

  • 11:00am PDT (18:00 UTC)
  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
  • join #granparadiso for backchannel

General Discussion

  • HTTP Pipelining above: Need more details from the Platform team whether or not this will break backward compatibility.
    • We need to answer whether or not this works.
    • Is it worth breaking things for the speed?
  • Target milestones in BZ need to be set for all 1.9 blockers (at a minimum).
  • Sheriff/tree management update?

Blockers and Noms

(Schrep to update with numbers here).

See: [1]

GFX Update

  • Progress made last week (Blockers resolved last week)
    • (vlad) landed border rendering rewrite patch with some regressions (fixes 4 or so blockers)
  • What we're working on this week (Blockers this week).
    • (vlad) regressions from borders (Txul in particular)
    • (vlad) patch reviews for Masayuki's linux perf patches, should see that land this week
    • (vlad) Mac performance (image rendering in particular)
  • Issues/Concerns/Requests

Layout Update

  • Progress made last week (Blockers resolved last week)
    • Roc: working on new-textrun-cache patch, fixed gtalk regression
    • dbaron: finished up big round of writing style system mochitests
    • smontagu: finding and fixing bugs in international text with new textframe
  • What we're working on this week (Blockers this week).
    • Roc: split up new-textrun-cache patch for review
    • dbaron: work on list of reflow branch regressions
    • smontagu: fixing more bugs with international text with new textframe
  • Issues/Concerns/Requests

Content Update

  • Progress made last week (Blockers resolved last week)
    • peterv, dbaron, sicking, graydon: cycle collector performance improvements
  • What we're working on this week (Blockers this week).
  • Issues/Concerns/Requests

Mac Update

  • Progress made last week
    • Josh worked on native theme stuff, buttons in particular (bug 379297)
    • Colin removed nsINativeScrollbar and associated code, looking into blocker bug 376808
  • What we're working on this week
    • Josh working on native theme issues
    • Colin working on assorted Cocoa bugs
    • Stan working on drag'n'drop
  • Issues/Concerns/Requests
    • Josh will need to talk with layout people about layout issues with popup menu buttons

Build Tools Update

  • Firefox --enable-libxul can now be packaged like regular builds
  • The Linux refplatform machine performance issues are unresolved and there isn't a good plan going forward