Gaia Weekly Meeting
- Date: 2015-11-24
- Meeting notes: https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/gaia-meeting-notes
- Meeting connection details: https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G#Meetings
- Host: Ben Francis
- Minutes copied to the wiki by host each week https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Meeting_Notes
Alternate Meeting Times:
- "TPE/EU" meeting time: Tuesdays 02:00 Pacific, 11:00 CEST
- "EU/US" meeting time: Tuesdays 9:00 Pacific, 19:00 CEST
- Please claim RTL bugs. Scheduled for 2.5 (P3 and below) http://mzl.la/1HaXpfE, all apps: http://mzl.la/1I1L5hX
New Architecture (NGA)
Retrospective: Retrospective was done and High level Planning. Minutes in https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lels5HA1CgWSrVek5JFuR9sYq--y4mmjXmpRQBWLdkU/edit Identified the platform dependencies and are being followed with Platform team Product has prioritized the Gaia apps to start with the BE/FE and views split
- As everyone could imagine, BE/FE separation is benefitial for everyone :)
- Using bridge.js as well has been remarked as a great success as it allow us to allow developers to decide where to run the BE parts of the app.
- Splitting views as well brings great goodies, we get a better organization of the code, pretty clear separation with per view css and specific strings, small dom easy to mantain, and easy to replace or customise.
- With the splitted views we still need to solve the navigation problem, until pre-render is available in the platform.
- Using workers is a good excercise, clearly aligned with the separation from BE/FE, it forces it, but definitely in the current state (payload to start, and lack of apis in workers) is recommended to not to use them in the critical path of the app.
- Huge improvement with new l20n library, around 100ms.
- SW are not there :(
- We need more coordination with platform. Also we need alternative plans in case that some platform features have to ride a different train.
- Telemetry on the way, collecting several stuff, also provides custom metrics that we can use in our apps.
- DataSync sync all the things, exciting features coming from them.
Also check the section related to new ideas and discussion on how splitting views could help with apps running in different form factors.
- Telemetry library
- Web app bridge
- Service workers
- SMS app conversion
- Music app conversion
- Contacts app conversion
New Security Model (NSEC)
- Francisco started trying it out
- Offline part works
- Permissions not working
New Experience (Alopex)
- Feedback wanted - Prototype of "TabZero" navigation model https://github.com/fxos-product-design/alopex/issues/12
- Working on presentation for Mozlando
- Dialer and contacts to be split!
- Vivien has a prototype of the music app split into a back end service app and front end app, talking via inter-app messaging
Systems Front End
- Started first sprint of 2.6 feature development
- Pin the Web
- Control Panel
- Any feature requirements/nits from consumers of systems front end? Transitions, dialogs, utility tray etc. Are they working for you?
- Sam will send out an email
- Maria and Wilson drafted a proposal for Web Components, so apps can start using it
Draft proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BmGLrm1tVsgv2S8mt-nTkNUN0kj8PqXq_7Wt-PP3lwE/edit Ping wilsonpage or maria if you want to get involved, do you want to own a component?