Gaia Weekly Meeting
- Date: 2016-03-01
- Meeting notes: https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/b2g-weekly-meeting
- Meeting connection details: https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G#Meetings
- Host: Ben Francis
- Minutes copied to the wiki by host each week https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Meeting_Notes
Alternate Meeting Times:
- "TPE/EU" meeting time: Tuesdays 02:00 Pacific, 11:00 CEST
- "EU/US" meeting time: Tuesdays 9:00 Pacific, 19:00 CEST
- B2G OS Transition Project - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.fxos/fUcCZh1p4WM/9_mbwVYpCAAJ
- More details to be added - https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/Community_Ownership_Transition
- B2G OS Transition Plan - Fabrice
- Plan: Bring the B2G codebase closer to Firefox browser codebase, for easier maintenance and closer alignment with the Web platform, so that the community can take over the smartphone project.
- Lots of stuff will break.
- Remove packaged apps altogether
- Certified permissions model is gone
- Some APIs like the IAC and DataStore APIs will go away
- System Messages API goes away
- WebActivities will be gone
- Language packs gone
- mozApps API is gone
- Marketplace is gone
- Themes are gone (can be replaced by WebExtensions)
- Sensor APIs, anything permissions based (compared to certified) will not be removed (but might be broken)
- Temporary strategy is local HTTP server to serve apps from until Service Workers is ready.
- Work will be carried out on a "transition" Gaia branch and use the "pine" Gecko branch
- Aus working on automation for builds and making sure we’re not breaking the build
- Can’t merge back to master/m-c until TV branches for their 2.6 release
- Staff will get the platform to the point at which it’s functional enough for community to take over.
- Profile migration will not be supported. This means a device will basically be wiped when upgrading to this new system.
- Lots of open questions, such as who is going to maintain build infrastructure, etc.
- System app is booting and homescreen is starting but basically everything else is broken
- Experimenting with making the system app into chrome
- Experimenting with turning some DOM APIs into local web services
- Result is closer to the Web
- Codebase is closer to regular Firefox
- What do we tell people coming to our channels asking about building Firefox OS apps - point to contemporary web apps, acknowledging those aren’t quite ready yet
- Would be good to have a migration guide for FxOS app developers
- WADI is active, engage them to help orient FxOS app devs to contemporary Web apps
- Ari posted a blog post about the direction : https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2016/03/01/update-on-connected-devices/
- Dogfood Aries devices both whitelisted and nonwhitelisted builds are being switched to dogfood=0 dogfood builds. People will be able to disable the metricking if they want.
- Phones are TBD what will happen with them, a thought is to let the dogfooders keep them and do whatever they want with them (at their own risk).
- Note: After transition they will have to reflash their phone.