Weekly updates from Mozilla IT on things we're doing to support and empower all of Mozilla in our mission keep the web a global public resource, open and accessible to all. An Internet that truly puts people first, where individuals can shape their own experience and are empowered, safe and independent.
- New Wifi Authentication in offices! Reminder: There’s a new way to log in to WiFi at our spaces! Set up your new login before your deadline to keep using Mozilla WiFi (and other stuff) in the office. Most offices are done now, but Berlin, Mountain View, and London, you need to do this by this Friday! Generate your password at login.mozilla.com/wifi. For more info and how-tos, check out the project Mana page.
- Use a Password Manager to make Wifi, and everything else, easier and more secure! Mozilla's InfoSec team recommends the use of a password manager to keep yourself and Mozilla safe. You can use a password manager to easily take care of wifi authentication across multiple devices. Mozilla has enterprise licenses for 1Password and LastPass. You can learn more about password managers in Mana, and can get your license by submitting a request through The Hub. Be safe out there!
- Happy Thanksgiving to all Mozillians in the USA! Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on the bounty the harvest season has brought us, and to share that bounty with friends, family, and everyone around. I'm thankful to work with all of you at Mozilla, working to make the web better for everyone. And yes, there is a Thanksgiving song! Thanksgiving, by Poi Dog Pondering
Somehow I find myself far out of line/ From the ones I had drawn/ Wasn't the best of paths, you could attest to that, but I'm keeping on /Would our paths cross if every great loss had turned out our gain?/ Would our paths cross if the pain it had cost us was paid in vain? Thanksgiving for every wrong move, Thanksgiving for every wrong move that made it right...
- New Wifi Authentication in offices! Reminder: There’s a new way to log in to WiFi at our spaces! Set up your new login before your deadline to keep using Mozilla WiFi (and other stuff) in the office. Congrats to Portland to making the change last week!Paris, SF, Toronto, Vancouver, and Taipei, you need to migrate by this Friday! Other spaces are due next week. Generate your new Wifi password at login.mozilla.com/wifi. For more info and how-tos, check out the project Mana page.
- MDC Databot Sticker Contest!- Bring out your artistic side to design a sticker for MDC Databot. Stickers will be distributed at the Dec 2018 All Hands in Orlando and you will get a chance to win a hoodie jacket with your winning design. Details here: https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=87361136
- Connected Workforce Work Week in PDX!- Speaking of Slackbots, IT's Connected Workforce team is having a work week this week in Portland! Our focus is on delivering valuable collaboration tools on the Slack platform to help all of us be able to work better together. Share your slackbot ideas in Slack in the #slackbot-ideas channel, and see how our team is using Slack to better enable our own collaborative work in the #connected-workforce channel.
- More content coming in #little-learnings! Later this week, I'll be starting a new series based on my presentation on Enterprise Architecture as an Astrolabe to Guide Innovation in the #little-learnings Slack channel. The presentation spans astrolabes, Yoko Ono, ways to look at capabilities, and ideas on how to apply capabilities to innovation processes that help achieve long-range visions- like Innovating Like A DJ! Come join in the learning on Slack!
- IT Brown Bag this Friday- This Friday's monthly IT Brown Bag session will be at the more globally-friendly time at 1700 Europe- 1600 UK- 1100 EST- 0800 PST, to accommodate a slate of international speakers. Dietrich Ayala will be giving his rescheduled session on Mozilla and Distributed Web from Istanbul, Alberto del Barrio will be speaking from Berlin about Visualizing Traffic across Mozilla Network Borders (from an IdeaBox suggestion), and Valeria Gonzalez will present from Seattle on the Mozilla Enterprise project. Join us on AirMo or in the #BrownBags Vidyo channel, and join the discussion in the #it-brownbags Slack channel.
- Wireless Authentication Changes: There will be a new way to log in to WiFi at our spaces. The authentication required for wireless, specifically the Mozilla SSID, is migrating away from your LDAP Password to Single-Purpose Password (WiFi Password). Action is likely required on your part to stay online in a MozSpace.
- MVK is going to MozFest! At MozFest, I'll be presenting Innovate Like A DJ!, teaching people how to use some of the skills and thought processes DJ use to innovate on the issues affecting the open web. There will be musical toys! And then on October 30th at Software Architecture 2018, I'll be presenting Enterprise Architecture at Mozilla: An Astrolabe To Guide The Future. It's essentially the same concepts, remixed for a crown of professional architects. The MozFest presentation will be streaming on AirMo, and the Architecture presentation will be available later. See you across the pond!
- This month’s IT Brown Bag Presentation will be Friday, Octrober 19th, at 12 Noon PDT, available in the #BrownBags Vidyo channel or live streaming on AirMo!. We have two exciing presentations: Dietrich Ayala from Emerging Tech will share about Mozilla and the Distributed Web, and Michael Van Kleeck will share survey results and gather learnings and next steps from the IT Hackathon. Please join us for the learning! All Mozilla staff and volunteers with NDA’s are welcome.
- MVK will be giving 2 presentations in London on innovation! At MozFest, I'll be presenting How to Innovate Like A DJ!, teaching people how to use some of the skills and thought processes DJ use to innovate on the issues affecting the open web. There will be musical toys! And then on October 30th at Software Architecture 2018, I'll be presenting Enterprise Architecture at Mozilla: An Astrolabe To Guide The Future. It's essentially the same concepts, remixed for a crown of professional architects. The MozFest presentation will be streaming on AirMo, and the Architecture presentation will be available later. See you across the pond!
- The IT Hackathon was last Thursday, October 4th, and it was a huge success! Close to 40 people participated in tracks on AirMo, Service Delivery, Conference Rooms, and Service Lifecycle. For Mozilla IT, it demonstrated our new orientation as a collaborative, experiment-driven, solution-building organization. We look forward to sharing what we've learned as we work with all Mozillians to find new ways to build and preserve the web.
- MDC (Mozilla Data Collective) has been upgraded to the latest release 5.3.1. Databot is now integrated with and available in MDC. Databot is now in #mozdatacollective, #mdcdatabot_test1 and #mdcdatabot_test2 slack channels. We would like to thank everyone who participated in the testing of the alpha version of databot. Your feedback is really valuable to the release of this feature in MDC. Thank You! Here’s a link to Quick How-To Databot
- Berlin 6th Floor Expansion!- Sehr gut, und sehr schick!!! On Monday October 1st, the Berlin office opened the doors to their newly expanded space on the 6th floor. As part of the expansion, 17 newly standardized conference rooms were introduced. In addition, the 3rd and 4th floor existing systems were upgraded to meet the current standard and provide the same user experience across all 3 floors. In total, we touched 37 conference rooms across a ~2 week span. In support of the expansion, IDF buildout and 24 additional AP’s were installed to accommodate conferencing needs and 36 workstations. These efforts could not have been possible without the dedication, support, and collaboration from the multitude of staff members within IT and WPR. Alles gut! Wunderbar! Wir lieben unsere Mozillians auf Deutschland!
- Doing the work of our mission is rewarding and exciting, and the open web needs Mozilla’s leadership now more than ever. To lead, we need to be strong and united and need to trust one another. Please take care of each other and support your fellow Mozillians. Can you think of 1 or 2 people who have done great work? Reach out and thank them! Everyone feels better when they know their work is being seen and appreciated.
- The Service Desk has designed a set of tools, documents, videos and services that can be self-administered by you. Such tools will allow you to address certain issues that you encounter with your technical environment, or to find answers to some common questions or situations. Look out for an email and a Hub banner to be posted soon.
- Do you have Slackbot ideas? I'll be leading an IT effort to deliver Slackbots to help us better collaborate and to make our day-to-day work easier. Help us deliver what you want and need! Have you worked with particularly helpful Slackbots? Do you have ideas, especially for Slackbots to improve our international and community reach? Share your ideas in Slack in our new slackbot-ideas channel!
- The IT Hackathon is this Thursday, October 4, with 4 separate sessions. A session hacking AirMo will start at 5 AM PST to better enable global participation, and three additional sessions will start at 8 AM PST, with readouts later in the day. The AirMo team would love your help hacking ways to identify and improve issues with streams in general, and Nightly in particular. The Hackathon is open to all! Sign up here and hack and learn with us!
- THE FINAL COUNTDOWN- 2 DAYS to the SCL3 DATACENTER SHUTDOWN! Many teams across Mozilla have been working for months to migrate services out of the SCL3 datacenter that we will be closing THIS WEEK. We are down to the LAST 2 DAYS in the datacenter, with THIS WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12th being the last day that power and connectivity will be provided. Beyond that date we will be tearing down the physical infrastructure in that space. If there are any concerns please get in touch with Corey Shields.
In the spirit of Florence and the Machine:
Shake it out, Shake it out, Shake it out, Shake it out, Whoa!/ And it's hard to dance with a server on your back so shake it out/ 'Cause we are done with SCL3/ So Wednesday we'll cut it and we'll be free/ Cause we like to keep our apps running strong/ Cloud and MDC are our new dawn!
- THE FINAL COUNTDOWN- 16 DAYS to the SCL3 Datacenter shutdown! Many teams across Mozilla have been working for months to migrate services out of the SCL3 datacenter that we will be closing soon. We are down to the final days in the datacenter, with September 12th being the last day that power and connectivity will be provided. Beyond that date we will be tearing down the physical infrastructure in that space. If there are any concerns please get in touch with Corey Shields. IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!
- VPN Move - As part of The Final Countdown, the Mozilla VPN is moving out of SCL3. Reiterating the email that was sent on Friday: If you use the VPN, you must download a new configuration bundle at https://login.mozilla.com and use that. The old VPN will be turned off on September 12th. Any transition issues, please bring up with #servicedesk on Slack.
- AirMozilla public access unavailable until September 22, 2018. Any public events will need to be viewed on the Mozilla YouTube Channel or by logging in with any email address. Once a security update has been moved to production on September 22, air.mozilla.org will again point to the public page so that public webcasts are easily available via a single click. Until then, air.mozilla.org will point to airmo.mozilla.org. Public webcasts are always available on the Mozilla YouTube Channel or by logging in to airmo with any email. Staff and NDA Mozillians will need to log in via SSO to view secure content. Thank you for watching AirMozilla!
- Mozilla Tests and Experiments- With lots of exciting tests and experiments happening across Mozilla, it can sometimes be hard to know where you can find all of the tests. IT has put together a quick reference page on Mana so you can easily find those tests you want to contribute to. We will also refer new Mozillians to this page during new hire on-boarding going forward.