Team & Translation Rules
If you want to help this team in translations, please follow the following basic rules:
Name of the Language
The native name of the language is فارسی /fâr-sii/ (not پارسی /pâr-sii/)
The English name of the language is Persian (not Parsi, not Farsi).
- Iranian Constitution, Article 15 (English Wikipedia)
- Iranian Constitution, Article 15 (Persian Wikisource)
During translation, we face two factors: Apprehensibility & Purity. Apprehensibility means a translation that every Persian speaker will understand it without problem. Purity means a translation that is pure Persian, without the use of Arabic or English words. The importance of these 2 factors are as below:
So if you find your translation inapprehensible, you're free to use Arabic or English words as few as possible. Download Firefox Aurora (Listed on main page) to see examples.
You probably need to get the Iranian Standard or Enhanced Microsoft Persian keyboard layouts, so you can type Persian characters correctly and easily.
Academy of Persian Language and Literature is a body presiding over the use of the Persian language in Iran and other Persian speaking countries.
- Persian Script Guideline (دستور خطّ فارسى) (Persian)
- Persian Academy Glossary (واژههای مصوّب) (Persian)
Also known as Nim fāseleh, Fāseleh-ye majāzi, Fāseleh-ye sefr, Pseudo-space.
It's wrong to use SPACE in the middle of a word to break the joining. You should use ZWNJ in this cases.
- You can type this character by pressing:
- Iranian Standard Persian: Shift + B or Shift + Space
- Microsoft Persian: Ctrl + Shift + 2
- Microsoft Enhanced Persian: Ctrl + Shift + 2 or Shift + Space
- or hold down Alt and type 0 1 5 7 on numpad, then release Alt
- Linux: Shift+Space or Shift+B
Correct form with ZWNJ: میخواهم Incorrect (with space): می خواهم Incorrect (joined) : میخواهم
- More on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_non-joiner and http://www.laits.utexas.edu/rfpit/persianword/zwnj.htm
Glossary of Persian Mozilla
English to Persian Dictionary
You can use farsilookup.com for other words that do not exist in the Glossaries.