MailNews Talk:Memory Bloat and Leak Tests
NOTE: This page (and its related content page) has been moved to the Mozilla Developer Center. Please refer to that page for recent updates and discussions.
bug 458351 is the master meta bug for tracking improvements.
Master list for wanted improvements
These are the ones we really want short-term and would like folks to work on. Please put other ideas in the section below.
|bug 458352||GristMill/MozMill integration||GristMill is a tool designed to allow UI automation for testing. It is suited to bloat tests, because it will make it easy to consistently test the UI and we will be able to test the UI is working at the same time as testing leak/bloat.|
|bug 458353||SMTP fake server integration - sending messages||We already have a fake server for SMTP in mailnews. Integrating it into our tests will allow checking of the mail sending process (from compose window to server) at a UI level and for leak/bloat.|
Note: leaving the main wanted improvements to those at the moment. MozMill integration would be the biggest win and provide us with much easier ways of generating tests for the code. Meanwhile getting the appropriate hooks in place for a fake SMTP server and allowing that to run is probably also a reasonable amount of work, but separate to the MozMill integration. --Standard8 10:45, 3 October 2008 (UTC)
Add these to the basic profile
- I've added IMAP & NNTP to the future requirements for the profile, as I mentioned in my posting, the initial task is to get some basic data asap. I will try and add these if there is time before I do the tests --Standard8 00:34, 9 April 2008 (PDT)
Server support required
- IMAP server with a private account which tester controls the mail available.
- NNTP server with a private group which tester controls and maintains postings.
The NNTP requirement can be fulfilled by MoFo creating an athentication controled news group. This has an advantage of verifying the authentication code as well as the additional memory requirements.
- We want a server running on the tinderbox to avoid network problems and latencies. The server would use a consistent data set and wouldn't be changeable from outside. --Standard8 00:34, 9 April 2008 (PDT)
- NNTP, Port:563 SSL/TLS workout
- SMTP w/SSL or TLS
- RSS feed
- Lightning CalDav, etc.
- Other Protocols as added
The more code we open and close will yeald a better simulation of daily use.
--Ron K. 15:00, 8 April 2008 (PDT)
Agreed we will need to open up more code once we get the basic tests running day-to-day. --Standard8 00:34, 9 April 2008 (PDT)
- Large Message folders and selection thereof.
- Large Address Books.