Bedrock discussion 11/14
- Steven Garrity
- James Long
- Fred Wenzel
- Chris More
- Mike Alexis
- Project almost done with first pass of architecture
- download buttons working but need polishing
- l10n working but no example yet.
- Channel page working
- James showed mockup: http://markup.io/v/nnwf5gytgqmf
- we're at the point where we can start porting pages
- not a whole lot of testing yet
- now is a good time to start writing them
- the project is farther along than SO expected
- good stage for SO to get involved
How to get SO set up
- set up will be more complex
- SO will try to port a page themselves
- working on set up today
- Playdoh has good install documentation
- SO will keep tabs on where they get stuck and where we need more documentation
- 404 page good next to port over
- work with Pascal on l10n
- Playdoh is mature and should be able to solve problems
- /new page has unique optimization that doesn’t exist on other pages
- need to look at these edge cases
- Pain-points can be tackled incrementally
- New designs aren’t dependencies/blockers on porting over pages to bedrock
- SO devs eager to dig into django and learn new platform
- Time estimate
- Aurora release notes page with new design was built in a day with borrowed assets from other similar pages
- basic worklow is straight forward and would not change significantly
- dl buttons, header / footer, template work...
- l10n is where it gets complicated
- can do some parallelizing of l10n.
- make en-us just another locale instead of en-us first?
- could be complex up front but overall will save localization time
- ultimately aim is to save 10- 20% dev time
- SO getting an instance up today or tomorrow
- work on that throughout the week.