Participation/Global Gatherings 2015/Singapore/Content/IoT Demos And Hacking
Connected Devices: IoT Demos and Hacking
- Observe: View and hear descriptions of common embedded device hardware relevant to Firefox OS use cases.
- Build: Feel and examine real embedded device hardware hands on and up close.
- Demo: Influence B2G use by studying its behaviour on several device classes.
- Apply: Install a physical web application on our fresh B2G devices to foster experimentation.
- Inspire: Understand how relevant and easy to use IoT is, and foster enthusiasm of Firefox OS in the IoT.
- Sausage contact (10 min): We form a circle of human devices and connect the circuit using a sausage.
- Physical web cases (15 min): We stand up and walk to Bluetooth and Internet connected devices, receiving notifications on our phones.
- Whirlwind device tour (40 min): We review a number of common embedded devices on which Firefox OS could run or communicate with.
- Hands on breakout (30 min): We feel and experience hardware up close. Particle Photon, MakeyMakey, and nRF-51 devices are distributed.
- Fun: We had a lot of fun tapping bongos and holding hands.
- Attended: We filled capacity (60?) with standing room only.
- Learned: The degree of learning about IoT relevance and ease was met.
- Use cases: Some B2G adaptations were not demonstrated due to technical problems.
- Application: ...of the Physical Web on Foxfood devices failed due to planning problems.
- Hands on: ...with loaned embedded devices only partially succeeded due to lack of time.
- Participation: ...from a helpful young man enriched our knowledge of the Chirimen platform.
- Inspire: We hope that folks came away with a positive regard to Firefox OS and it's pivot to connected devices.
- This session combined aspects of previously delivered lectures and workshops which was experimental in nature.
Session documents & Relevant Links: