- 1 Snappy Mar 7, 2013 Minutes
- 1.1 Actions
- 1.2 Incoming
- 1.3 Projects
- 1.3.1 Startup & Shutdown
- 1.3.2 Tab Strip (tab switch)
- 1.3.3 Temporary and Severe Browser Hangs (front-end, downloads, chromehang fixes, scrolling, prefs, slow sql)
- 1.3.4 Add-on and Web page introduced slowness (add-on manager start-up)
- 1.3.5 Page Load (cache, dns)
- 1.3.6 Tools (profiler, eideticker, peptest, talos)
Snappy Mar 7, 2013 Minutes
- [DONE] benwa to send lmandel list on slow shutdown add-ons for follow-up with add-on team
- Irving to test what happens when an add-on switches from unpacked to packed (look at ABP specifically)
- Taras: talk about PICL perf review
- A closer look at the performance of Google Chrome http://aptiverse.com/blog/closer_look_at_chrome/ looks at caching, coding strategy, and process isolation
- bug 844947 - Choppy scrolling on Firefox Partners website (and many others) on Mac Retina display
- telemetry-reboot (on server) https://etherpad.mozilla.org/telemetry-reboot
- https://sites.google.com/a/webpagetest.org/docs/using-webpagetest/metrics/speed-index chrome has time-to-stable-content now (Taras file bug# + find owner)
- <--idle-daily skew
- Change telemetry histogram display default to 'saved-session': METRICS-1408
Startup & Shutdown
- bug 845907: Abstracted readahead functions have landed. As a result:
- bug 810454: A/B test for cookie readahead landed in m-c this morning
- bug 810151: Ordered jar file readahead - 60% drop in omni.ja startup read time on Windows test. Landed in inbound yesterday, was backed out due to suspected xpcshell orange. Will resolve ASAP.
Tab Strip (tab switch)
- bug 829952 (slow touchpad scroll): testcase to measure cross-browser + blogged.
- landed bug 842967 (refresh driver can retarget a timestamp).
- bug 590422 (Remove timer filter): landed, backed out: lots of backfire from timing-related regressions:
- bug 845943 (fix talos tscroll) - close to finish.
- bug 749894 (Mochitest performance.now() orange) -> research -> 10% failures due to disabled high-res timer on XP on 25% of the cases -> 1. test could be improved. 2. regression of bug 822490 (simplify windows timestamp) -> elevated bug 836869 (improve high-res timer detection hueristics - Honza Bambas). Still not decided if low-res timer should pass or fail this test (right now it sometimes fail).
- (update - mconley): Australis on par with default theme, they moved on to refinements, mconley will occasionally check perf to make sure no regressions.
- (update - ttaubert) newtab performance: XUL is expensive, consider CSS3.
- keep killing regressions of bug 590422.
- bug 829952 (slow touchpad scroll): talk to masayuki, he has ideas for improvements, see where it stands.
Temporary and Severe Browser Hangs (front-end, downloads, chromehang fixes, scrolling, prefs, slow sql)
- Final patches for bug 566746 (async form history) posted (including test fixes)
- bug 820834 landed (about:home storage refactor)
- Investigate performance of LiveMargin extension distributed by Mozilla China http://firefox.com.cn/download/#other-download
- lmandel to follow up on priority of emerging markets
- In progress: bug 838577 (cut Session Restore collection in chunks).
- land bug 789348 (about:home storage migration)
Add-on and Web page introduced slowness (add-on manager start-up)
- Found bug 844958, bug 845921
- Filed bug 846921 for detailed add-on telemetry, got redirected into FHR
- Discussions with felipe et. al. about next steps for add-on manager improvement
- File bugs and finalize design for converting AddonManager.jsm and XPIProvider.jsm from sqlite to JSON
- vladan to follow up with jorge about slow add-ons
Page Load (cache, dns)
- Putting up full page load tests to test more than networking layer
- WIP patches for cache, e-mail try build to taras and vladan
Tools (profiler, eideticker, peptest, talos)
- SymbolicationServer & Profiler extension to support symbolicating Thunderbird & other apps
- bug 837724: comparison of Telemetry histograms during a Talos run from a PGO MSVC2010 build versus a non PGO MSVC2012 build
- Improving security of the profiler add-on for AMO. Parameters are chrome controlled but are passed directly to the shell. I have patches to escape them correctly.
- Worked with intel to support MSR/power profiling.
- Discussed with Vlad the profiling needs for Gaming. Planning to focus on Multi-thread/Multi-process support, runtime overhead, JS frame sizes, and delimiting frames and transaction in frames.
- JS Team is looking into adding profiling support to Baseline & asm.js