Snappy: Start-up & Shutdown
Users current spend more time than necessary waiting for Firefox to become useful on start-up. Firefox can also be very slow to shutdown, requiring users to kill the process.
Firefox start-up and shutdown will be fast and lightweight. This means 3-10 second start-up time and < 1 second shutdown time.
- Start-up: Time from when Firefox is launched until the browser is useful.
- Shutdown: Time from when exit is initiated (may be due to clicking X, the Quit menu item, or Restart) until the Firefox process is terminated.
- Start-up: mostly done? what work remains?
- Shutdown: need to determine what currently happens on start-up and only do a small subset of that.
- UX improvements to show the Firefox UI faster and in coherent form
- detect preexisting hung firefox and terminate when starting up
- remove SQL queries
- need to immediately terminate remaining query work (like awesomebar queries)
- gc/cc before we release memory
Size: 1-2 people ~4months Who: Perf Team