Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2013-06-18 - 11:00 am Pacific
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Warp Core / SFO-Boardroom / Tor Commons
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Key Issues
- 5 Team Stand-ups
- 5.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 5.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 5.3 B2G Simulator (dtownsend)
- 5.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 5.5 Developer Tools (dcamp/robcee)
- 5.6 DOM (jst/dougt)
- 5.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- 5.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 5.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 5.10 Firefox OS (sicking)
- 5.11 GFX (milan)
- 5.12 Identity (jedp)
- 5.13 JS (naveed)
- 5.14 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 5.15 Media (mreavy)
- 5.16 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 5.17 Performance (vladan)
- 5.18 Seceng (mmc)
- 5.19 WebAPI (overholt)
- 6 Quality Programs
- 7 Roundtable
- 8 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
- No activity in bug 874647 (Find and fix the underlying cause of the Windows XP xpcshell hangs) since it was filed 4 weeks ago. Test suite will be disabled this week.
- jst to follow-up with ctalbert and bmoss.
- OSX "code -20" test failures.
- "Code -20" (SIGCHLD) is an IPC thing that can happen to the parent process after a child process quits
- Currently 38 bugs on file. Under-represents occurrences as each failure is not always filed.
- Aborts test suite.
- If not a fatal error, can test runner not treat it as such?
- Or automatically star & retrigger?
- Filed bug 884471 to find and fix underlying issue.
- bug 878449 - aurora windows topcrash in CCliModalLoop::CCliModalLoop needs help (bbondy can't reproduce)
- bug 882433 - nightly topcrash at js::ion::InlineFrameIteratorMaybeGC needs an owner
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- FF22b6 went to build yesterday
- Desktop may ship today
- [tbd] Mobile may need to respin due to bug 884300 – CFI records broken on Linux platforms
- FF22.0 RC went to build overnight
- [tbd] Mobile may need a respin
- No issues on the tracking list that are worrisome; please email early and often if you find something possibly critical (esp. 22 regressions)
- I'd like to hijack this section and direct your attention to "Changing our Standard for Bug Verification" on dev.planning (>80 posts, go bottom up)
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 76 Trackers (non-security)|
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- B2G option for installing additional extensions in DEBUG mode landed (bug 879563).
- Looking into automated tests for Gaia a11y. (Eitan + Web QA)
- Max's recent braille improvements landed (bug 876475).
- Marco Zehe will keynote day 2 (tomorrow) at the PDF Association’s second Technical Conference.
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- Last week's meeting
- Places API proposal
- Websockets support coming real soon
- Getting repacks uploaded to AMO bug 881387
B2G Simulator (dtownsend)
B2G Services (dougt)
- Push notifications will land on desktop soon (q2 goal)
- Will be disabled on Beta+Release until CR or interop
Developer Tools (dcamp/robcee)
- Back end of Remote Inspector Landing.
- Back end for Break on DOM in Debugger landing.
- Update on the XBL Refactoring (Blake)
- Ready to land, but waiting to land after a branch point
Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- Australis still on track to land soon (beginning of the 25 train)! Try out a UX build and file bugs!
- Firefox desktop team will be having a frontend-perf-focused work week in Toronto next week
- Status update on the new Downloads API: 
- dev.platform post about background tab thumbnailing: 
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- team status updates
- Continued work on front end polish
- improvements to chrome input selection
- progress being made on getting dev tools/profiler hooked up. (bug 850019)
- Currently hooking up Async Pan Zoom Controller to Metro in (bug 849266 and bug 801154), Desktop Wiin32 to follow
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 4 contributors, 7 bugs fixed fixed and 3 are in progress \o/: bug 867567, bug 871524, bug 877783, bug 876485, bug 684380,bug 880661, bug 802093, bug 88059, bug 879088, bug 877774
- We are getting very close to preffing WebRTC bug 881875 on for Android, looks like we need bug 882136 first, though
- Fixed and uplifted through beta: bug 879651 - no audio playback on x86
- Thank you, :tn for the fix for bug 876562 - In Fennec content behind fullscreen content should not be pannable, zoomable, or visible which was uplifted through beta. *Please* test Dynamic URL bar in Fx23 as much as you can.
- bug 882196 - Android crash in nsXPCWrappedJS::AddRef top crash (23%) landed yesterday, hasn't made it to nightly yet
Firefox OS (sicking)
- See previous week
- rtc peer connection + persona auth [rseys, jedp]
- firefoxos + persona [ozten, jedp]
- first-time sign-in to firefoxos [skinny, ozten, jedp]
- Akshay Katyal [MrDHat] working on a PiCl client for contacts data sync for firefoxos [mentor=jedp]
- Compiler (JIT)
- bug 866878: BaselineCompiler: Compile try-finally
- Garbage Collection
- bug 877762: GC: Post-barrier cycle collector participants
- Front End and Other
- bug 881902: Last big part of interpreter stack refactoring - fallout from JM removal
- Front End and Other
- bug 883154: Add runtime wide cache for compiled lazy scripts
- Continue prototyping a shared memory implementation for asmjs, with the goal of running an extremely simple threaded program
- Bugs of interest that landed:
- Web Audio work is mostly done, only a few bits of the API remain to be implemented.
- Ehsan has mostly moved away from the Web Audio work, padenot, rillian, karlt and others are helping to finish the rest of the project.
- Basic WebVTT support landed behind a pref. You can test <track> in Nightly now!
- Created WebVTT wiki page for status and getting-started links.
- This week the WebVTT team is working on adding tests, fixing nits, and planning implementation of the revised WebVTTCue API.
- MediaEncoder interface landed and confirmed to be recording Opus files (Bug 868962). Bug 879688 tracks all the MediaEncoder work.
- Identified a major cause of growing audio latency in WebRTC (including B2G) on some machines (but not others); working on a solution in bug 884365
- Temporarily running WebRTC as root on B2G (until E10S changes land) causes performance issues (thread-priority and switching).
- Planning to land major update of WebRTC.org import as soon as 25 opens; already tested on Desktop and B2G. bug 880879
- bug 497003: Off-main thread OnDataDelivery patch bounced: working on fix
- doesn't work if content is gzipped: that will be follow-up. Also followups to support XHR workers, Download manager, imglib
- bug 784575, bug 871452: Starting work to allow network traffic to be measured (and choked off to wifi-only) on a per-app basis.
- bug 881804: Adding interface for speculatively doing DNS and/or prewarming TCP connections based on previous history. In API/design phase.
- New cache code: integrating & debugging initial API and filesystem patches
- bug 853388: Add-on manager refactor will tentatively land next week
- bug 863475: Integrated ARM EXIDX stack unwinding into Breakpad
- bug 867762: Patch to track all main-thread I/O in profiler has landed. To try it out:
- 1. Stop the profiler
- 2. Make sure that "Main Thread I/O" is checked in the profiler pop-out panel
- 3. Start the profiler
- Sample screenshot
- Telemetry server backend redesign:
- bug 813742: Work continues on improving reftest and crashtest suites
- bug 883253: Investigating potential benefits of using new "volatile ranges" kernel feature on B2G/Android
- bug 848358: Work continues on Talos regression teststar for tab animation smoothness
- bug 865389: Adding file "read-ahead" flags to OS.File
- Team workweek this week in MV Bridge (Mon-Wed) and SF (Thur). Drop by and say hi!
- Sandboxing planning for Q3 going on as we speak (DRI: imelven)
- Please come: Web Security 1.0 training at 12:15 in MTV 10 Forward (DRI: tvyas, rforbes)
- patches for IDB temporary storage up for review
- continued work on Promises
- W3C AC meeting
- spec work: Telephony, Fetch, Promises, icons-in-manifests
- WebAPI documentation review
- get up to speed with NavigationController
- more work on DataStore API
- review of sync IDB patches
- spec work: Telephony, Fetch, Promises, Keyboard API
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
A big week.
- Brian Hackett enabled lazy bytecode. This avoids generating bytecode (and subsequent objects, shapes and strings) for unexecuted JS functions, which in practice is ~50% of them due to websites' extensive use of libraries such as jQuery. Reduces Firefox's memory consumption by ~5% on common workloads, and significantly reduces pressure on the GC.
- Nils Maier implemented separate measurement of add-on compartments in about:memory. This doesn't catch all add-on memory consumption, but it gets a lot of it, especially for JetPack add-ons. People have been wanting this for *years*.
- The report on MemShrink's 2nd birthday includes an updated MemShrink "big ticket items" list. Three old items were crossed off, and three new ones added. Better image handling and generational GC are still #1 and #2, though both have made good progress.
- MemShrink progress report, week 103-104. Future progress reports will now be every four weeks, rather than every two weeks.
- Android-style zygote process forking is coming along nicely, currently being reviewed.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 6.36 (Previous Week: 4.10).
- Most contributors to the spike have been fixed or backed out already.
- 15 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Stability numbers continue to look good.
- Trunk saw a number of new crashes in the last days, mostly fixed by now, see yesterday's stability meeting.
- bug 884300 is an issue that gives us bogus stacks on Linux, including Android, at least on 22 and higher. If you looked at crash stacks recently, be aware of that and re-check once this is fixed.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
- Lots of big landings planned for "right after Firefox 24 branches"
- XBL refactor, download API, Australis, "major update of WebRTC.org import"
- download API is already landed and is being developed in parallel to the existing code, so there's no imminent "big landing" [gavin]
- Can we land these a day apart so each one gets its own Nightly? (For more useful regression ranges, and avoiding pileups that decrease Nightly testing)
- XBL refactor, download API, Australis, "major update of WebRTC.org import"
- [akeybl] FFOS 1.2 is targeting Gecko 27ish. Have we looked at WebRTC, gUM, audio recording, etc. on a device? Or should we plan to disable and place on the product roadmap?
<Read only beyond this point>
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
- "Changing our Standard for Bug Verification" on dev.planning (>80 posts, go bottom up)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)