Platform/2013-11-05

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


« previous week | index | next week »

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-11-05 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Actions

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
Stability
Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

  • Firefox 25 release now unthrottled
  • Firefox 26.0b2 sign off expected this aft (desktop)
    • Mobile beta 2 will have the fix for Android 4.4 crashes
Next Merge: May 11, 2015 Next Release: May 12, 2015
Trains
Central: 40 Aurora: 39 Beta: 38 Release:
  1. REDIRECT Template:Version/Gecko/release/current
39 bugs (25 bugs last week)
76 bugs (61 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 39 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 38 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

  • Two tree closures in November:
    • 16nov: rejuggle all network cables in SCL3 colo - long downtime?
    • 23nov: power outage in 650castro (impacts tegras)

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

  • New bugzilla flag! "a11y-review"
    • Definition/Usage: This flag is used to ask the accessibility team to look over a bug. Typically used if a bug has the potential to affect accessibility, regresses accessibility, and/or is a new user facing feature.
    • Currently available for these products: Firefox, Firefox for Android, Core, Toolkit, Firefox OS.
    • We're here to help.

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

  • Testing a fix for the places intermittent failures

App Tools (dtownsend)

  • Working on beefing up tests
  • Trying to figure out a problem debugging phones from Brazil
  • Fixed the crasher on OSX 10.9

B2G Services (dougt)

  • Blog posted on stumbling. Created 4 new developers, lots of interest.

Developer Tools (robcee)

<Read Only>

DOM (jst/dougt)

<Read Only>

  • Converted almost all of the APIs on workers to WebIDL, and got rid of the separate worker event dispatch system, paying off a lot of technical debt. Bugs 919885, 925531, 934785, and 928312.

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

  • Q4/end of year goals to be discussed on firefox-dev in the next week

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

<Read Only>

  • Profile sharing work is underway, completed work includes:
    • Shared base app name which implies shared profile
    • Relaunch in Desktop feature (From the Metro browser)
    • Relaunch in Metro feature (From the Desktop browser)
    • Split preference files within the same profile
    • Split startup cache files within the same profile
  • Latest shared profile builds are available on oak for any risky work until it is safe to land on mozilla-central after QA'ing is done: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-oak/firefox-28.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe
  • Tracking bug or other shared profile work is here: bug 924860
  • Blog post going out with details of shared profiles from Brian Bondy's blog tomorrow.

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • Reviews in progress for bug 909974 - Background thread hang monitoring
  • new about:home improvements (so far, well received on beta) bug 918007, bug 925722, bug 924968
  • UI Telemetry gaining traction bug 932092
  • Uplifted to Aurora: bug 926430 - The wrong thumbnails are displayed in empty grid positions. This makes favicon display faster and should have improved startup speed a bit
  • We are considering uplifting to Fx27 as the memory gains are ginormous and we think it could solve a smattering of OOMs... Bug 931843 - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError @ android.graphics.BitmapFactory.nativeDecodeAsset in TabsAdapter.assignValues(TabsTray.java:259

Firefox OS Communications (scravag)

<Read Only>

  • is getting lower 8 koi+ and 7 koi?
  • DSDS is in a good shape.
  • Risk on DSDS with gecko and gaia integration

Firefox OS Devices Porting/Bluetooth (ttsai/mchen)

<Read Only>

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • bug 891704 - [MediaEncoder] Implement MP4Writer
  • bug 879668 - [MediaEncoder] Implement VideoOmxEncoder on B2G
  • bug 920934 - [MediaEncoder] Implement AudioOmxEncoder on B2G
  • bug 920921 - [Flatfish]: Flatfish has bad performance on Homescreen wiping
  • bug 898949 - [B2G getUserMedia] Display front/back camera list on permission prompt

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)

<Read Only>

Last week:

  • Temporarily drove koi+ bugs to zero! Then a couple more snuck in -- but generally we are in good shape for 1.2.
  • Finished up the new features for Clock in 1.2. We now have a timer, a stopwatch, and an updated look.
  • Continued progress on POP3 support in 1.3.
  • Started work on redesigning the Drawer functionality that is used for app navigation in Email and Calendar. This is targeted for 1.3 as part of the first steps toward Haida. Design is here: https://mozilla.box.com/s/10ab2eoqoabvx6dhh82v

This week:

  • A couple of us are spending time at the FxOS Systems work week in San Francisco to discuss Haida and other things coming up in the next few releases.

Firefox OS Radio/GPS (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • Last week
    • Fix koi+ issues.
    • RTSP Client, to add suspend and resume functions and to support rtsp protocol in url bar.
    • NFC, to refine the NFCD code and prepare for landing code.
    • EAP-SIM, Partner will provide their solution for us. And we will verify it.
    • Multi-SIM, to implement webapi for DSDS.
    • WPA-EAP, to import PKCS#12 CA by wifimanager. Reviewer is asking to have a discussion with him.
    • WIFI-Direct, to implement the main codes of wifi-direct.
    • Power metering, to discuss the WebAPI with Jonas.
    • Network metering, to centralize the code for network per-app metering.
  • This week
    • Fix koi+ issues.
    • RTSP Client, to add suspend and resume functions and to support rtsp protocol in url bar.
    • NFC, to add test cases.
    • EAP-SIM, Partner are going to do more porting for EAP-SIM.
    • Multi-SIM, to land all DSDS implementations into Gecko.
    • WPA-EAP, to import PKCS#12 CA by wifimanager, reviewing.
    • WIFI-Direct, to implement the main codes of wifi-direct, reviewing.
    • Power metering, to implement PowerStats API.
    • Network metering, to centralize the code for network per-app metering.

Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)

Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

  • Cursor management: working on bug 924692. investigating the possibility to do bug 931495 to support the feature.
  • DSDS: Gecko API in discussion however Gaia patch is ready in review, will start landing patches after Gecko
  • NFC: UI feedback+, BT handover spec updated.
  • Tablet: gallery & video in review, FTU landed, photo frame blocked on UX revise.
  • 3rd-party keyboard: koi+=6 bugs, will clean up this week; remaining features will be v1.3+.
  • Settings: EAP-SIM: to start this week. Format SD card: waiting on step.
  • CDMA: koi+~=2, not may 1.3 bugs for now.
  • Window management: no update.
  • build script: start working on working on home screen customization tool. variant.py change landed, multilocale.py and additional-extensions.py landed.
  • Zhuyin IME: no update.
  • Bluetooth: patch ready, will land after graphic fine tune
  • IME API w/ hardware keyboard: on halt
  • Bluetooth keyboard: on halt
  • Hardware keyboard events: on halt.
  • New Camera App features: on halt
  • Engineering mode: Fixed some small issues
  • Screenshot tool: reviewing
  • getUserMedia permission: working with w/ TEF devs on very late v1.2 features.

Read our updates at: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Team/Taipei/Meetings/2013-11-05

GFX (milan)

  • Desktop
    • We think the performance blocker on the Mac for Australis landing is out of the way.
  • B2G
    • Fallback for running out of pmem is in place, but it requires a non-default flash or a change to the base image to show up on the phones. This is slowing down the testing.
    • Flatfish (tablet) off the 1.2 radar
  • Metro:
    • Triaging and fixing Metro specific APZC bugs. About two dozen tagged as needing to be fixed before 28 goes beta.
  • Android:
    • Variable caching for SkiaGL is in place.
    • Moz2D recording

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

All are presently at FxOS FE work week in SF (hence the read-only request)

Updates for Firefox Accounts sign-in on FTE:

  • Architecture: L.png
  • Tracking bug: bug 920135
  • Clients for 1.3 are Marketplace and WheresMyFox
    • Olav, Sergi, and Shane have consolidated UI into single /shared area: https://github.com/ferjm/gaia/pull/1/commits
    • Fernando has completed core IAC API work: bug 929388
    • Jed, Sam, and Zach working on pulling elm patches into m-c:
      • bug 904612 - First version of Firefox Account Sign up/sign in screen on Desktop
      • bug 911384 - add HAWK support (HTTP client authentication protocol). r=rnewman
      • bug 919698 - Update account tests location. r=jaws
      • bug 909967 - Introduce a Firefox Accounts module for storing/retrieving user credentials. r=gavin,gps
      • bug 913199 - Use HTTPS for FxAccounts server URL. r=rnewman
      • bug 911378 - A BrowserID/Hawk based IdentityManager for Sync. r=rnewman
    • Working next week with dougt and nsm (w00t!)

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

    • Compiler (JIT)
    • Garbage Collection
      • Continue plugging away at rooting hazards
    • Front End and Other
      • Work on Module loaders

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • New Servo style system (CSS parsing, selector matching, cascading, inheritance and computed values) landed.
  • Vertical Text (Writing Modes) in progress. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=735577
  • Low-level Text Performance work ongoing. See bugs 934710, 934770
  • SVG Performance work ongoing. See bug 934411
  • CSS Variables now in final code reviews. See bug 773296

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • IETF conference is this week, W3 conference is the week after. Several WebRTC team members are at these.
  • Update to webrtc.org code (moving to version 3.43) will probably land this week. If you have questions, please contact Randell Jesup.
  • If you haven't seen it already, check out: https://brendaneich.com/2013/10/ciscos-h-264-good-news/

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • No update

Performance (vladan)

  • No update

Seceng (mmc)

<Read Only>

  • TLS 1.2 On by default landed bug 861266
  • Mixed content blocker: bug 915951 landed and uplifted to Aurora/Beta to fix missing doorhanger affecting CtP and mixed content sites

WebAPI (overholt)

  • No update

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

CritSmash (dbolter)

MemShrink (njn)

The trees were closed for several days due to shutdown leaks. From the post-mortem:

TL;DR: Win7 M2 and Mbc test were OOMing frequently at shutdown because too many DOM windows were open. This was due to a combination of: (a) multiple badly written tests, (b) multiple social API leaks, (c) multiple devtool leaks. Bug 932898 will improve our shutdown leak detection; bug 934288 may also help. Bug 932900 will (if implemented) will make some of these leaks impossible(?).

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week's OrangeFactor: 4.22 (Previous Week: 4.56).
  • Thanks to those who helped to investigate and fix the mochitest leaks that closed the tree for 2 days last week.
  • 7 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers are stabilizing on Beta and Release, Aurora needs some uplifts from recent Nightly fixes - note that metro is now on that dashboard as well, but has a small amount of testers.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

  • [gps] If you use MacBook Pros as your primary developer machine, consider getting a 2013 model ASAP.

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:

  • Tom Schuster (evilpie) fixed a SpiderMonkey assertion and did some maintenance (bug 760460, bug 933810, bug 933946).
  • [first patch!] Felix H. Dahlke improved the OS.File removal API (bug 921229).
  • Landry Breuil (gaston) fixed a ctypes/ffi alignment error on BSD (bug 928381).
  • Yura Zenevich (yzen) improved B2G accessibility for input elements (bug 932158).
  • Antonio Manuel Amaya Calvo (amac) fixed installing apps without a network connection in some cases (bug 932843).
  • James Kitchener (jkitch) made zero-length strings not allocate (bug 328755).
  • Chris Manchester (chmanchester) made OS.File.open errors less platform-dependent (bug 885480).
  • Nils Maier (nmaier) improved SDK addon reporting and stacks for Promise rejections (bug 929120, bug 932548).
  • Brian O'Keefe performed ongoing build system conversion (bug 870401).
  • Robert Longson (longsonr) simplified nsSVGDataParser (bug 929011).
  • Andy Wingo (wingo) cleaned up parts of SpiderMonkey (bug 881226, bug 932180, bug 932216).
  • Dan Gohman (sunfish) made a bunch of SpiderMonkey changes (bug 930708, bug 930714, bug 931487, bug 931488, bug 934173, bug 934174, bug 934520).
  • Sankha Narayan Guria (sankha93) implemented more ES6 parts of Array (bug 894658).
  • Chiaki Ishikawa fixed a problem with nsLocalFile (bug 931720).
  • Bharath Thiruveedula (tbharath) made geolocation errors occur when the network provider fails (bug 684722, bug 933456).
  • Juan Gomez (AtilA_) fixed a Galaxy S2 crash (bug 931573).
  • Michael (Earth4) fixed a PSM leak (bug 933998).
  • Cykesiopka performed ongoing build conversion (bug 887832).

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

[1:59pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-11-05
[2:00pm] RyanVM|sheriffduty: lmandel: no
[2:00pm] lmandel: RyanVM|sheriffduty: thx
[2:00pm] milan left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:01pm] gavin: lmandel: yes
[2:02pm] RyanVM|sheriffduty: my aren't we a happy-looking group today
[2:02pm] myk joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] myk left the chat room. (Input/output error)
[2:02pm] myk joined the chat room.
[2:03pm] jimb left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:03pm] lsblakk: there is some serious face in this meeting today
[2:04pm] robcee: it's a serious meeting
[2:04pm] curtisk|afk is now known as curtisk.
[2:09pm] RyanVM|sheriffduty: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
[2:09pm] kbrosnan: the lenovos got haswell in the last week too
[2:09pm] lmandel: roundtable items?
[2:09pm] kbrosnan: but not the carbon
[2:09pm] RyanVM|sheriffduty: kbrosnan: hopefully hi-dip at some point too
[2:09pm] RyanVM|sheriffduty: dpi*
[2:10pm] milan_ left the chat room. (Connection reset by peer)
[2:10pm] cviecco joined the chat room.
[2:10pm] milan joined the chat room.
[2:11pm] milan left the chat room. (Input/output error)
[2:11pm] milan joined the chat room.
[2:12pm] coop is now known as coop|lunch.
[2:13pm] kbrosnan: RyanVM|sheriffduty: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t540p/
[2:14pm] RyanVM|sheriffduty: kbrosnan: niiiice
[2:14pm] kbrosnan: though not that i want to lug a 15.6" laptop around
[2:14pm] kbrosnan: also
[2:14pm] kbrosnan: 'to be released soon'