Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-03-11 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Team Stand-ups
- 4.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 4.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 4.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 4.4 Developer Tools (Mossop)
- 4.5 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 4.6 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 4.7 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 4.8 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 4.9 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 4.10 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 4.11 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 4.12 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 4.13 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 4.14 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 4.15 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 4.16 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 4.17 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 4.18 GFX (milan)
- 4.19 Identity (jedp)
- 4.20 JS (naveed)
- 4.21 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 4.22 Media (jesup)
- 4.23 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 4.24 Performance (vladan)
- 4.25 Seceng (grobinson)
- 4.26 Shumway (mbx)
- 4.27 WebAPI (overholt)
- 5 Quality Programs
- 6 Roundtable
- 7 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
- bug 976479 - Crashes in [@ mozilla::ipc::IToplevelProtocol::~IToplevelProtocol()]. Having difficulty finding someone who knows the IPC code with time to investigate.
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- Metro has been pulled from shipping in FF28 bug 981166
- QA is doing extra testing around this for the 28.0RC shipping tomorrow
- FF Desktop 28.0rc shipping tomorrow (Wed)
- FF 28.0b10 Mobile shipping later today
- Merge Day is next Monday
- Pwn2Own starts tomorrow, we are prepared for possibility of respinning FF28 over the weekend if some exploit is discovered (and fixed)
- Very unlikely to do a 27.0.2 as we are shipping 28 on Tuesday and should conserve resources as well as user update fatigue
|Next Merge: November 1, 2021||Next Release: November 2, 2021|
|Central: 95||Aurora: 54||Beta: 94||Release: 93.0|
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 94 Trackers (non-security)|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
- (On-going) Bugzilla issues of late:
- Max attachment ID was hit yesterday due in part by an accidental large increment of the autoinc value and by not monitoring the situation. Caused intermittent problems for several hours as we switched the column to unsigned bigint on all slaves and a few db inconsistencies that were manually fixed. Back to normal now; other columns updated at the same time, and bug filed for nagios monitoring.
- Slave replication lag; IT identified main culprit as being use of MyISAM, which locks tables on full-text searches (and there are some very, very big searches going on). Switching to InnoDB soon; more solutions, like moving long queries and polling to a separate slave, are being pursued.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (Mossop)
- DevTools dark theme: use higher contrast text for main body content bug 971418
- Add preferences in options panel to hide command buttons on DevTools tabbar bug 974947
- Move event-emitter to toolkit bug 976679
- The Web Console logging API (console.*) has been disabled by a script on this page bug 970914
- Syntax highlight all JS objects and functions in console output bug 584733
75 Bugs Fixed
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Much progress is being made on Firefox Hub (ability to add more home panels). Recent landings include:bug 942878, bug 975841, bug 959290. We'll be making incremental progress and plan on launching the full feature as of Fx32
- FxA authenticated Sync (v1.5): progress is steady, a number of issues have been fixed according to the latest info from identity so give it another shot if you've been testing on Android an
- There is a go-no/go for Synthetic APK support for Fx Marketplace Apps for Android for Fx29: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/fxmarketplaceGONOGO
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Device porting (Gonk team)
- Build steps are ready (bug 978888)
- Open C
- Keyboard audio is delayed or missing on tarako (bug 967581)
- Usb charging detection cannot work well on device with higher power consumption (bug 951005)
- Camcorder doesn't work on KK (bug 978196)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu)
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)
- No update.
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- Team is focused on madai camera (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=966764) with the help of contributions from partner. And working on bug fixing for 1.3/1.3T and 1.4 releases.
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 980241 - Vsync-triggered RefreshDriver
- bug 983039 [Media encoder] Support YV12 GrallocImage in OMXVideoEncoder on B2G
- bug 974297 - Media Recording - support aspect-ratio change in ISO media format container
- bug 959490 - [MediaEncoder] Support *.3gp with AMR-NB audio format on certificated application
- bug 922680 - Run b2g reftests out of process
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- To fix 1.3+ bugs,
- bug 964228 - Race condition in NetworkStatsService.jsm
- To fix 1.4+ bugs,
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- FxA/Sync work-week in SF (ckarlof)
- Please keep testing Sync!
- FxA for FxOS (spenrose)
- Final push for 1.4 code freeze
- Attached Services (contacts sync proof-of-concept) (jedp)
- UX mocks (skinny, jgruen):
- We can export mozContacts as VCard
- Fruux can authenticate us with a browserid assertion from Firefox Accounts
- bug 979865 - Implement ES6 array and generator comprehensions
- Progress towards removing the legacy JSD1 debugger in Firefox 31 (bug 800200)
- Fixing GGC fuzz bugs
- Layout work week in Taiwan next week
- Cherry-picked fix for upstream regression in A/V sync (bug 981680). The fix will be in Nightly tomorrow and uplifted to Aurora by end of the week
- Chrome had the regression for Chrome 31 and 32; just fixed in 33
- Changed platform-specific AEC tunings for WebRTC (2/28). Echo cancellation should be much better. (bug 974537)
- See WebRTC AEC Tuning if you have any echo problems in Nightly (and soon Aurora); the tuning can be done entirely with prefs
- Media Playback work week is happening now in Taipei
- Expect MediaStreamGraph refactors to start landing soon
- Update next week
- baku landed bug 923247 - windows now have 2 new properties: audioMuted and audioVolume
- cascading audio volume/mute, works with HTML media (ex. <video>, <audio>) and Web Audio
- contrived UI that can be built:
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- brace your talented selves for pwn2own.
Andrew McCreight is making good progress on getting LeakSanitizer enabled as part of the AddressSanitizer runs on TBPL. Some leaks that it found have already been fixed; see the blocker list in the LSAN bug.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 6.51 (Previous Week: 5.72).
- Shout out to Ehsan for doggedly working to chase down bug 968200 to an issue with how Tegras are cleaned up.
- 17 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall numbers look good, 28 looks like it will be one of the more stable releases on desktop and mobile!
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:
- Alessio Placitelli removed support for Blob.mozSlice (bug 961804).
- Guillermo López (willyaranda) fixed a push notification problem (bug 980846).
- Doug Crosher (dougc) fixed a SpiderMonkey alignment issue (bug 978498).
- Masatoshi Kimura (emk) got rid of legacy XPIDL dictionaries (bug 978611, bug 979252).
- Andy Wingo (wingo) improved some ES6 generator support (bug 956166, bug 979865, bug 980263, bug 981522).
- Robert Longson (longsonr) fixed an SVG assertion (bug 979407).
- Mihaela Velimiroviciu (mihaelav) added tests for CSS variables (bug 959973).
- Alex Henrie fixed a bunch of layout padding problems (bug 893509, bug 963970, bug 981262).
- Chiaki Ishikawa improved a download manager error (bug 928250).
- Kent James (rkent) fixed an HTTP auth assertion (bug 977736).
- Romain Perier improved IonMonkey (bug 968296).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
10:42 cpeterson: RyanVM: what makes 976479 a hot bug? It doesn't look like it has a lot of reported failures, if I am reading the bug correctly. 10:45 philor: cpeterson: freshly introduced so it doesn't have a high total, yet, but has a high rate, crashes so we have to retrigger the run, happens in pretty much any test so we have to manually star most of them 10:50 philor: cpeterson: yeah, combination of that and the way there's nothing we can do about it, since we can't just stop running mochitest-2 and mochitest-3 and browser-chrome on OS X, so it's going to have to become owned by and fixed by someone ... 11:03 cpeterson: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-03-11 11:03 dholbert: FWIW: there's a Mountain View office-moving brown-bag happening right now, if mountain view attendance is a bit low 11:03 jesup: khuey or jduell perhaps 11:04 khuey: hmm? 11:04 davidb: the OMGCHANGE should ramp up 11:05 davidb: (re australis moving to beta) 11:05 Noah_: Callek_disconnected: hmm, I'm not sure if you're online or not - was wondering if you ever got a answer to your old sync question? 11:07 khuey: jesup: what's up? 11:08 jesup: orange factor IPC issues on mac - they're looking for an owner (or someone to find an owner) 11:08 jesup: you were mentioned verbally by someone 11:08 dveditz_: "ran out of numbers" -- the db was obviously not made by mathematicians 11:09 khuey: lol do not want 11:09 jesup: khuey: the downside of not being there to object ;-) 11:09 philor: you thought just palming it off on smaug in the bug would be enough? 11:09 khuey: yes 11:09 mcote: dveditz_: :)