Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-03-18 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Team Stand-ups
- 4.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 4.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 4.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 4.4 Developer Tools (Mossop)
- 4.5 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 4.6 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 4.7 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 4.8 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 4.9 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 4.10 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 4.11 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 4.12 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 4.13 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 4.14 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 4.15 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 4.16 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 4.17 GFX (milan)
- 4.18 Identity (jedp)
- 4.19 JS (naveed)
- 4.20 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 4.21 Media (mreavy)
- 4.22 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 4.23 Performance (vladan)
- 4.24 Seceng (mmc)
- 4.25 Shumway (mbx)
- 4.26 WebAPI (overholt)
- 5 Quality Programs
- 6 Roundtable
- 7 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
- No progress on bug 976479 from last week. Will attempt to bisect on Try and backout regressing patch if found.
- bug 983948 tracks a big slowdown in Linux debug mochitest-bc. Appears to be related to GC frequency.
- bug 984230 is shipped in 28 - regressed h.264 video playback on certain devices, doesn't present in FF29, QA looking into it to see if we can find a fix that would justify a respin
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- Firefox 28.0 released
- Metro is still currently enabled in pre-release channels while bug 981166 is looking to cleanly remove it without breaking current users
- We've MERGED!
- Australis and new Sync begin the 6 week beta cycle headed toward public release this Thursday - please please please be using Beta for the coming weeks to help catch *anything* we can fix prior to ship
- Reminder that Sylvestre is getting his stripes by being the point RM for FF29, Lukas shadowing
|Next Merge: January 6, 2020||Next Release: January 7, 2020|
|Central: 73||Aurora: 54||Beta: 72||Release: 71.0|
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 72 Trackers (non-security)|
- mozilla-central/master are now v1.5, and 1.4 is now branched
- Gecko 30 (the underlying 1.4 platform version) will be on mozilla-aurora
- Gaia 1.4 has moved to the 1.4 branch
- Security uplifts are no longer needed on the B2G18 branch and no 1.1 or 1.1HD builds will be generated
- Product Team is working on 1.5 feature planning and https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/Roadmap should be updated soon along with more messaging on schedule
- Wrapping up work on 1.3 and focus completely on 1.3T and stabilization for 1.4
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
- RelEng will be having a post-mortem for merge day issues, in particular why m-c was closed for so long. Please contact :hwine if you want to be notified of this meeting.
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- Working hard at our goals and they are on track.
- Now that Gaia has branched we will be landing more a11y goodness on master.
- Trevor has some a11y events working across process (e10s).
- MarcoZ is driving our position on assistive technology detection from content via bug 979298.
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (Mossop)
- New box model highlighter landed: bug 663778
- Working through concerns over test lengths: bug 984930
- Editable box model landed: bug 850336
- Network monitor working on Firefox OS: bug 917227
- Add-on SDK page-mods debuggable in the website debugger: bug 964545
- Blog post on Add-on SDK features for Australis
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- General desktop update
- Australis and Sync riding the train to beta
- New Desktop process rolled out to half of the team, and will expand to the rest of the team as Australis/Sync in 29 work winds down
- Apart from Australis/Sync, the team is making progress on: directory tiles, translation, and many other smaller polish fixes/improvements
- Changes to the Firefox privacy in support of Telemetry Experiments have been proposed in mozilla.dev.privacy, which will involve turning Telemetry on by default in the beta channel.
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Single GLContext Skia patch and associated patches landed before the merge! bug 939276
- Progress continues for Firefox Hub, including UI Telemetry which we are expanding our reach on and awareness about: bug 968308,bug 969060, bug 967742, bug 969055, bug 963817
- If you are currently testing and/or are interesting in Fx Hub, we have an add-on for subscribing to arbitrary RSS feeds - bug 977200 and you can try it out: http://people.mozilla.org/~mleibovic/rss.xpi
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Device porting (Gonk team)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- New member: Jocelyn Liu
- The first time in-house WebBluetooth API discussion with Gaia developers has been done. One more week would be needed to get the draft done.
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- Media Playback work week @ Taipei, 3/10 ~ 3/14. All team members attended and gave presentations.
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)
- About:Service got r+. Ready to land.
- Took over Feature Detection API implementation (bug 983502). Target version is FxOS 1.5.
- More functions in Device Storgate API are needed to sense state change and distinguish real/fake volumes, sharable, formattable ... etc. Target version is also FxOS 1.5.
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- bug 911046 WebRTC OmxCodec coding path support.
- bug 971641 - [MediaEncoder] Support AMR audio format in 3GP
- bug 961674 - [gonk-kk] gdb from prebuilts toolchain cannot work
- bug 922680 - Run b2g reftests out of process
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- bug 889737 - [MMI] Unify both sendMMI() and dial() functions
- bug 964228 - Race condition in NetworkStatsService.jsm
- bug 975356 - [DSDS][RIL] iccId is not correctly set on the message received from SystemMessenger
- bug 945089 - There is some case that concatenated SMS data is lost
- bug 933588 - B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++.
- bug 917102 - Import Cert by WifiManager
- bug 917176 - List imported Certs by WifiManager.
- bug 978027 - [B2G] Need to implement API for getCdmaPrlVersion.
- bug 949675 - Support HTTP->Rtsp Channel redirects.
- bug 971593 - [RTSP] Resource leak of HTMLMediaElement containing RTSP media resource
- bug 975778 - [B2G] [Emulator] Support CDMA_FLASH command for Cdma call waiting and 3way calling senarion
- bug 984327 - B2G RIL: dun apn type is not included in isNetworkTypeSecondaryMobile(...)
- bug 970263 - B2G NFC: Unlock screen when running marionette test.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- More than half of the time of the team are occupied by 1.3/1.4 blocking bugs.
- DSDS Settings 1.4 looks managable, some 1.4? bugs need clarify.
- Copy-paste Gaia work to be addressed in 1.5 release
- New keyboard codebase is targeted to ship in 1.5
- Bubble-tea is merging
- Lock screen changes is likely usable by madai release, working on lockscreen-as-app interfaces
- Gaia build script refactor is on-going, a major "copy rule" patch is ready to land.
- System2 refactor is on-going, bubble-tea conflicts need to be resolved.
- Settings2 refactor is on-going
- Layout Work Week in Taipei this week
- Turned off Nagle algorithm for WebRTC DataChannels bug 976115
- Added more stats to about:webrtc (RTT)
- Updated SCTP library from upstream bug 916427
- Landed first cut of resolution/frame-rate adaptation due to load and bandwidth (not enabled by default) bug 877954
- We'll be tuning and enabling this during 31
- Landed the fix for upstream bustage in a/v sync code bug 981680 and uplifted to 29
- Fixed audio GetUserMedia on Android Gingerbread devices bug 974378
- We fixed issue with using stale DNS for Amazon webservices and other sites: bug 981447
- Workweek last week--made lots of progress on prioritizing future goals.
- bug 772484: It's now possible to cancel the "incompatible add-ons" dialog that pops up after a Firefox version upgrade
- bug 961665: OS.File's read() functionality was re-implemented in C++ for better performance
- bug 873060: Assisting with making the Australis "customization mode" transition animation smoother
- bug 967619: Talos tests will soon be able to profile Firefox during the interesting parts of the test, and will produce a link to the resulting profile
- bug 978974: Making it possible to run Win32 unit tests on Amazon EC2 (Windows Server 2012)
- Prototype of a power usage dashboard: http://people.mozilla.org/~rvitillo/dashboard/
- New, distributed power use benchmark: https://github.com/vitillo/energia
- Lots of new power bugs, tracked in meta bug 962573: Vimeo.com, Sohu.com, HTML5 player on YouTube, OMTC on Windows, etc.
- We'll need help from gfx and layout teams to fix the issues we've found. Fixing these bugs will help performance, not just laptop/Fennec/B2G battery life
- Roberto Vitillo: Initial findings from Telemetry main-thread I/O reporting
- Taras: More & Faster C-I for Less on AWS
- Glandium: Linux and Android try builds, now up to twice as fast
- Glandium: Analyzing shared cache on try
- Mark Reid: Scheduling Telemetry analysis
Please dogfood our new certificate verification library: mozpkix (formerly/also known as insanity::pkix)
- http://bugwd.com/mission-subject-ski (bug 915930)
- http://bugwd.com/postage-silence-fax (bug 976961)
- Enable by adding the pref "security.use_insanity_verification" and setting it to true
- More information here
- No update this week.
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Heroic pwn2own engineering response! Great collaboration and focus.
- No update.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 4.09  (Previous Week: 6.51).
- 19 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall numbers for the "old" versions look good across channels, looking forward to seeing how this week's releases/betas/auroras perform!
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
- room reservation in new MV office?
- about:healthreport for Android is now available in all the usual locales (shipped quietly last week)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor Alexandru Niculae! Here are some highlights:
- Arnaud Bienner fixed a color input problem (bug 975468).
- Neil Rashbrook (NeilAway) corrected some test issues preventing splitting browser-chrome (bug 937407).
- Giovanni Sferro (agi90) improved spec correctness for some HTML element types (bug 968637).
- [first patch!] Tom Hindle corrected a contenteditable bug (bug 970363).
- Andy Wingo (wingo) improved ES6 compliance (bug 901987).
- Rik Cabanier added alpha support to canvas objects (bug 982480).
- Rick Eyre (reyre) improved WebVTT compliance (bug 882664, bug 978163, bug 982183).
- Tooru Fujisawa (arai) fixed a layout problem (bug 982302, bug 983570).
- Martin Stransky worked on the GTK2->GTK3 port (bug 980249, bug 982694).
- YF (Yang) made some addons tab text selectable (bug 616437).
- Romain Perier added unreachable support to OdinMonkey (bug 947601).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
- Matt Brubeck's Bugwords: Transform boring old bug numbers into short, memorable phrases (that are also easier to read aloud in meetings):
- Read about Fennec's ANR dashboard: http://www.jnchen.com/blog/2014/03/fennec-app-not-responding-dashboard
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
10:26 KaiRo: bsmedberg: any audible for stability from you on the platform meeting today? 10:36 bsmedberg: KaiRo: well... going to talk briefly about telemetry experiments but that's not precisely stability 10:52 KaiRo: bsmedberg: yes, I guess that belongs in some other section - but surely interesting 10:53 KaiRo: cpeterson: so, no stability audible today - that said, bsmedberg wants to bring up telemetry experiments but not sure where that belongs 10:53 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok 10:54 cpeterson: I'll add it to the Roundtable 10:54 Waldo: repeat: have we perma-squatted a room in the new office for the platform meeting yet? 11:00 cpeterson: vidyo is sad 11:01 bajaj: cpeterson: does not work well for us as well from the new MV office 11:02 Waldo: bajaj: where are people meeting in MV? 11:02 bajaj: we are in startrek 11:02 cpeterson: bajaj: we are waiting for MV. do you think you all will be able to login? 11:02 KaiRo: also is seeing nothing on airmo 11:02 cpeterson: KaiRo: airmo is not live yet because we are waiting for MV 11:02 KaiRo: ah, ok 11:03 bajaj: cpeterson: we are trying to connect to Engineering, see no one though 11:03 RyanVM|sheriffduty: good...goooood... 11:04 KaiRo: another vidyo netsplit issue? 11:04 RyanVM|sheriffduty: ohai? 11:04 catlee: vidyo laggy 11:05 Waldo: we are in an apparently vidyo-issues room or something 11:05 RyanVM|sheriffduty: cpeterson: hot bugs? 11:05 bajaj: cpeterson: my notices and schedule section is read-only for FxOS 11:05 catlee: moto lost audio... 11:05 cpeterson: RyanVM: you didn't answer so we can loop back 11:05 cpeterson: to you 11:05 bajaj: :( given the vidyo challenges! 11:05 RyanVM|sheriffduty: cpeterson: you pinged? 11:05 cpeterson: on vidyo 11:05 KaiRo: airmo also lost audio 11:05 lmandel: Do others still have audio? 11:05 cviecco_adium: I am on vidyo in mv office in 'Engineering' but alas there is nobody here. 11:06 KaiRo: audio is back on airmo 11:06 catlee: gone again 11:06 KaiRo: yup 11:06 KaiRo: this is fun 11:06 catlee: jlin: we're having audio come and go in vidyo 11:07 catlee: we're in finch in MoTo 11:07 ctalbert: SF has lost connection to vidyo 11:07 cpeterson: if you can't hear me, we're going to end this meeting early. 11:07 cpeterson: thanks! 11:07 KaiRo: back 11:07 laura: mulitmaster vidyo! 11:07 Waldo: woo xor 11:07 Tyler: KaiRo: So here is the crash for 28, https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/efb9714c-0aa9-4e30-916b-e53402140318 which points to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=956967 which was supposedly fixed in 28 :/ 11:08 catlee: whee 11:08 KaiRo: audio gone again on airmo 11:08 davidb: we are reconnecting to vidyo 11:08 davidb: (toronto) 11:08 Waldo: vidyoooooooooooooooo 11:08 davidb: (aka Tronna) 11:09 cpeterson: davidb: the meeting is aborted :| 11:09 lsblakk: most importantly, will telemetry by default cause me to glow in the dark? 11:09 lmandel: blassey: Thanks for stepping in 11:09 lsblakk: cpeterson: we're still going :) 11:09 lsblakk: blassey: took over 11:09 davidb: ok, we hear something now... on lmandel's laptop 11:09 lmandel: cpeterson: live on air mozilla 11:10 KaiRo: Tyler: hmm, could be a different crash that turns up the same signature, but not sure 11:12 Tyler: KaiRo: want me to file a new bug 11:12 Tyler: ? 11:14 blassey: is vladan on irc? 11:14 KaiRo: Tyler: probably makes sense 11:14 laura: I added a roundtable item if anyone cares to refresh 11:14 laura: no audible, just FYI 11:14 Waldo: woo, getting rid of crazy Java-by-macros code (!) (?) ... 11:16 laura: blassey: ^ 11:17 KaiRo: blassey: no vioice update for stability 11:17 overholt: are we still looking for someone to work on bug 976479? 11:17 RyanVM|sheriffduty: overholt: yes 11:18 overholt: RyanVM|sheriffduty, k, I'll get back on that 11:18 blassey: vladan: we were just talking about getting a power monitoring rig for our pandas 11:18 blassey: and running that in automation 11:18 blassey: does that sound like a thing that would fit with what you're doing? 11:18 cviecco_adium: there is a link in the wiki page 11:19 RyanVM|sheriffduty: keeler: I think a couple backports missed aurora29, btw 11:19 dveditz: what was the problem with rooms joining? 11:19 dveditz: I did see one portland room on the call 11:19 keeler: RyanVM|sheriffduty: backports for mozilla::pkix/insanity::pkix? 11:20 RyanVM|sheriffduty: yes 11:20 KaiRo: dveditz: unknown vidyo problems 11:20 dveditz: odd that it seemed universal, yet not portland 11:20 keeler: RyanVM|sheriffduty: do you know which ones? 11:21 vladan: blassey mfinkle: a bit. our tests run on live pages, i don't know if you guys are ok with that. we also rely on Intel Power Gadget to get the power use info from the CPU & GPU, and we're also looking at Intel's Battery Life Analyzer. I think you guys can take a look at our tests and talk to rvitillo about lessons learned regarding confgiuration/reproducibility/etc 11:21 RyanVM|sheriffduty: keeler: one sec 11:22 vladan: blassey mfinkle: however, i think all of the power usage issues we've found so far also affect Fennec 11:22 cviecco_adium: ryanvm: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=982754 11:22 KaiRo: dveditz: we have seen some vidyo issues with people not being able to connect correctly yesterday and today in multiple meetings - I personally guess that some vidyo server being moved along with the MTV office has something to do with it, but I also heard that we might now be using a new vidyo server version 11:22 KaiRo: might all play into that 11:23 Callek: KaiRo: has that been raised to IT afayk? 11:23 vladan: blassey mfinkle: we're working with jmaher to make it possible to trigger these tests from try.. you can probably copy some pieces of what we've done 11:24 vladan: blassey mfinkle: our benchmark: https://github.com/vitillo/energia , power bugs found: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=962573 11:24 mfinkle: vladan, is that data found via automation now 11:24 RyanVM|sheriffduty: keeler: bug 978120, bug 978528 11:24 dveditz: I wonder if people who upgraded to new clients can't connect with old client people? 11:24 mfinkle: or is it manual? 11:25 mfinkle: vladan, i have a test rig for firefox android 11:25 dveditz: or if it's an issue with named project "rooms" 11:25 mfinkle: and want to setup some testing system 11:25 jlin: i was out for a bit 11:25 jlin: but yes IT knows re the vidyo troubles 11:25 jlin: looking into it 11:25 Mossop: dveditz: I updated my client a week or so ago and had no issue talking to people on old clients 11:27 keeler: RyanVM|sheriffduty: ok - thanks for the heads-up 11:27 vladan: mfinkle: the data in the power dashboard comes from rvitillo running the benchmark himself, but we're working on getting it into automation 11:27 vladan: mfinkle: ping rvitillo directly, he'll have a better idea of which parts can be reused 11:28 mfinkle: vladan, ok 11:28 mfinkle: thanks 11:29 hoosteeno: Preeti: the "gecko" link on the right side of this page is broken. what's the right url for that? http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/os/notes/1.3/ 11:30 hoosteeno: next to "get the code' 11:30 KaiRo: Callek: not sure to what extent it has been brought up with the right people yet 11:30 KaiRo: Callek: ok, jlin says they're looking into it 11:31 KaiRo: jlin: is there some bug or similar that we can follow? 11:31 jlin: let me find something 11:32 Preeti: hoosteeno 11:32 Preeti: looking one sec 11:32 jlin: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=985009 11:33 jlin: kairo it's a moco bug though 11:33 Preeti: hoosteeno: https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-b2g28_v1_3 11:35 KaiRo: jlin: thanks - and most of us who are using vidyo all the time are moco anyhow :)