Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-05-13 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 3.5 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.6 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.8 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 3.9 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 3.10 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 3.11 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 3.12 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 3.13 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 3.14 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 3.15 Firefox OS Radio/WiFi/GPS (kenhkchang)
- 3.16 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 3.17 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3.18 GFX (milan)
- 3.19 Identity (jedp)
- 3.20 JS (naveed)
- 3.21 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.22 Media (mreavy)
- 3.23 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.24 Performance (vladan)
- 3.25 Seceng (mmc)
- 3.26 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.27 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- FF29 Post Mortem notes
- We are in week #3 of Beta cycle
- No more speculative landings after this Thursday, tracked issues and very low risk patches going forward
- EARLIER_BETA_OR_EARLIER toggle landing this week to disable features using that flag in the rest of 30 Beta cycle
- FF30.0b4 desktop release delayed due to build failures, will ship tomorrow morning instead of today
|Next Merge: October 21, 2019||Next Release: October 22, 2019|
|Central: 71||Aurora: 54||Beta: 70||Release: 69.0|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
- Data centre migrations beginning next week, and will continue for 6-8 weeks. No tree closures expected, but may have degraded capacity at times, especially Monday and Tuesday mornings.
- We've limited coalescing on TBPL to merge at most 3 jobs. Please let us know what you think.
- Experimenting with dynamic jacuzzi allocations. (dedicated machines per job type)
- See https://github.com/bhearsum/static-jacuzzis/commits/master for activity
- The aim is to dedicate a number of machines to each job type so as to minimize wait times but still keep wins from having a small set of machines per job.
- http://atlee.ca/blog/posts/initial-jacuzzi-results.html for background and previous results.
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 8.84 (Previous Week: N/A).
- As discussed on dev-platform, the Test Disabling Policy has gone into effect so that more consistent practice is being followed for disabling flaky tests.
- bug 870205 - Intermittent browser_bug295977_autoscroll_overflow.js | e should have scrolled vertically, b should have scrolled vertically, | b should have scrolled horizontally.
- Spiked after mochitest-bc chunking changes landed. #5 on OrangeFactor.
- bug 924622 - Frequent Android crashes after "ABORT: mismatched CxxStackFrame ctor/dtors"
- nical has been trying to land a fix which is currently held up due to mochitest-e10s shutdown hangs (bug 1007284).
- bug 1008357 - Intermittent B2G crashes [@ js::ShapeTable::search(jsid, bool)].
- Appears to have started after bug 993282 (lazy loading more js modules on B2G) landed.
- 16 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Risk factor growing (third week reporting this). Ping team mates on security bugs.
- Honza Bambas fixed a rare but bad memory leak (one user had 10 GiB+!) in cache2.
- Jonathan Watt added memory reporting for SVG images.
- Overall numbers look good with exception of Nightly, but issues there are well-tracked (some smaller ones still to be filed by QA, though).
- Some ADI issues over the weekend due to known problems with collection of data, bug 1006615 landed for switching to newer systems on Nightly but collection for that is being worked on, so some Nightly ADI numbers might not show up yet.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- Thursday is Global Accessibility Awareness Day!
- Ways to participate. Consider accessibility in your context, for example: "Is my foo demo usable without the mouse?", "Is our design process incorporating accessibility?".
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- The team continues to work towards our M1 milestone, fixing Firefox usability and add-on support.
- And welcome David Parks (handyman)! David is a contractor who will be working on e10s gfx issues.
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- Firefox iteration 32.2 plan published by Chad on firefox-dev: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2014-May/001686.html
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
Work In Progress
- Firefox Hub (817716,1004153,1005107,1007408,965452,999756,701725)
- Sync (1003877,1005072,891600,965924)
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
Recent Uplifts for 29.0.1
- Character Encoding selection broken in Fennec 29 (Bug 1003897)
- JB & KK crash in java.util.ConcurrentModificationException: at java.util.LinkedList$LinkIterator.next(LinkedList.java) (Bug 987867)
- Re-enable 'Send Tab to Devices' on Beta and Release with a string swap (Bug 1005074)
- crash in gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*) (Bug 952721)
- Improper rendering of Indic scripts on some Samsung devices, due to bad DroidSansFallback font (Bug 992100)
- Firefox on Asus Memopad HD7 with Android 4.2.2 plays video frames out of order (Bug 998603)
- Regression: After MP4 video playback, video can not be played again (Bug 1005622)
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- Responsiveness: Eli Perelman
- Launch states bug 996038 in progress
- Finalizing design with Zibi Braniecki [:gandalf].
- Power Consumption: Jon Hylands
- Thursday, May 15 @ 12 PDT: Brownbag: Building power harnesses and ammeters.
- Power Performance Server in development
- Tools: Dave Huseby
- Profiler Markers bug 972075 landed last week.
- Adds profile markers for key windowing events: loadstart, loadend, titlechange, firstpaint, documentfirstpaint.
- screenshot: https://bug972075.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8414531
- Profiler Markers bug 972075 landed last week.
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Radio/WiFi/GPS (kenhkchang)
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- ICE connectivity fixes/improvements by bwc
- Lots of work on H.264 OMX webrtc support
- Working with other teams to prepare for OpenH264 support (download) on desktop
- webrtc orange factor down (some tests disabled though)
- Good work on fixing timing issues in both code and tests ongoing
- about:webrtc improvements
- new HTTP cache looks very likely to be pref'd on this week.
- Discovered that deadlock detector added enough time to time out jsreftests when we held 3 locks. Went away when we dropped to 2 locks. Bug in deadlock detector?
- close to landing fix for download manager--just waiting on imglib review (bug 237623)
- also close to landing network change detector (bug 939318)
- David Teller gave a presentation at the Zedge tech conference "How to make your next web application appear janky and clumsy"
- Taras blogged about How Mozilla Amazon EC2 Usage Got 15X Cheaper in 8 Months and the Demise of Special Snowflake Infrastructure
- It will soon be possible to look at Telemetry data from multiple Firefox versions in the Telemetry dashboard http://amozillastory.blogspot.ca/2014/05/the-good-bad-and-ugly.html
- Started work on a Telemetry dashboard for chrome hangs
- bug 880864: User dictionary (persdict.dat) was being read on the main thread on startup. Fixed
- bug 1006765: Dialogs shown while Windows lock screen is up don't paint correctly. Fixed
- lots more display list compliance tests passing in nat branch.
- stress testing started in earnest; currently crashes the browser quite a bit.
- filter parsing and rendering in 3D renderer done, serialization and rendering in 2D renderer pending
- progress on dirty-region tracking/invalidation
- No update this week.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:
- Robert Utasi (hunboy) made clickable alerts more obvious (bug 1001204).
- Neil Rashbrook (NeilAway) fixed a longstanding XPCOM footgun (bug 514280).
- Fred Wang (fredw) improved some MathML code (bug 1005657, bug 1007093).
- Giovanni Sferro (agi) fixed some number input problems (bug 1003741, bug 1005593, bug 942321).
- Aaro Koskinen corrected some SpiderMonkey code for uncommon architectures (bug 940061).
- Michael Pruett improved the saved passwords dialog usability (bug 1004881).
- Marco Castelluccio (marco) removed OS.File usage in apps code (bug 981085).
- Arpad Borsos (Swatinem) removed nsVoidArray usages (bug 1004933, bug 1007604).
- Anuj Agrawal (anujagrawal464) fixed a MathML font problem (bug 848725).
- [first patch!] Shashank corrected some QCMS conditionals (bug 692922).
- Nick Lebedev corrected some touch event sequences when zooming (bug 964750).
- Mounir Lamouri (mounir) implemented navigator.languages (bug 889335).
- Sankha Narayan Guria (sankha93) fixed a JS tokenizer problem (bug 957513).
- [first patch!] Branko Krznaric improved MathML code (bug 914031).
- [first patch!] amarok fixed a new/delete mismatch (bug 1005652).
- [first patch!] Igor Kolupaev cleaned up an nsIFile API (bug 997141).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
bmoss: is everyone at the b2g meetings this week? bmoss: pretty light attendance cpeterson: bmoss: yes, B2G meetings