Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-05-20 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 3.5 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.6 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.8 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 3.9 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 3.10 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 3.11 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 3.12 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 3.13 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 3.14 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 3.15 Firefox OS Radio/WiFi/GPS (kenhkchang)
- 3.16 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 3.17 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3.18 GFX (milan)
- 3.19 Identity (jedp)
- 3.20 JS (naveed)
- 3.21 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.22 Media (mreavy)
- 3.23 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.24 Performance (vladan)
- 3.25 Seceng (mmc)
- 3.26 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.27 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- 30.0b6 Desktop & Mobile going to build this morning, shipping Wednesday
- We're in week 4 of beta, all tracked bugs should be assigned and we're taking less risky/forward fixes - more focus on stability, security fixes and where necessary - backouts
|Next Merge: November 1, 2021||Next Release: November 2, 2021|
|Central: 95||Aurora: 54||Beta: 94||Release: 93.0|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
- Possibility of emergency downtime Fri 1800 PT - worst case 30 min to fix some networking issues. If any reason to defer, contact hwine prior to Fri
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 7.61 (Previous Week: 8.84).
- Thanks to Mark Hammond for fixing a whole class of failures in the browser_thumbnails mochitests (bug 916497 et al).
- Thanks to Joel Maher for fixing a 1-year old Windows dromaeojs hang (bug 872788).
- bug 870205 (discussed last week) remains a top orange.
- 16 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- (Readonly) Risk still not trending well. Will shout from the hill tops next week if necessary.
- No update.
- Overall numbers look good except for Nightly, which is missing correct ADI data.
- ADI data for Nightly is being collected in different manner than before, we will get back to having numbers by the end of this week.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- bug 996785 - Bidirectional CPOWs to improve add-on compat.
- bug 913249 - OMTC for Windows landed (but was backed out).
- bug 1004745 - "zombie" joins us for his GSoC project to make Jetpack Add-on SDK e10s-compatible.
- Many crash fixes.
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
Work In Progress
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
- Add support for connecting to HTTP proxy over HTTPS (Bug 378637)
- Unify removal behavior for bookmark-history-readinglist items from Home items (Bug 921136)
- Text selection keyboard shortcuts not working (Bug 993261)
- Zoom level mangled after restoring session (Bug 1002426)
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Device porting (Gonk team)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- Continuing to work on blocking bugs for 1.3T, 1.4, 2.0
- Performance optimizations on Music/Gallery for Tarako
- Wrapping up Ringtones User Stories (in 2.0 we will have the basic features in)
- Landed Camera Touch Focus on master -- please test and file bugs
- Working on Camera Face Detection feature, targeting to land this in current sprint.
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 987529 - Implement Vsync dispatch pipeline
- bug 989945 - [B2G][WebRTC] long video lag when using H.264 codec.
- bug 981153 - Intermittent test_seek.html | Test timed out.
- bug 983489 - Crash on nsIAppStartup.quit()
- bug 997367 - Crash at CorssProcessParent
- Responsiveness: Eli Perelman
- Launch states bug 996038 design finalized and implementation in progress.
- Power Consumption: Jon Hylands
- Power Performance Server in development
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Radio/WiFi/GPS (kenhkchang)
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- OMTC desktop
- Windows landed, backed out, relanding (mostly needed to change timeout values in tests)
- Linux: getting close
- Following up on reftests failures. Currently in gradients - not just a fuzzing issue
- Flywheel scrolling seems to be OK
- Putting in a developer pref for overscroll effect so that UX can test it and see if the design feels right
- New or unplanned things
- Flame support for 1.3 (and somewhat less of a surprise, for 1.4)
- FxOS 1.4 games performance
- Intern heading for Toronto ended up in Mountain View (no fault of Mozilla) - rejigging some plans to help Walter with local support/tasks.
- Compiler (JIT)
- bug 1010775: Refactored assembler code to pass some small classes by value instead of by reference
- Garbage Collection
- Front End and Other
- bug 998392 bug 1008590 bug 1011693: ASCII/Latin1 strings support in JS - begun and ongoing
- bug 745324: our ClampDoubleToUint8 doesn't follow the algorithm stated in last ES6 spec (fix ready for the interpreter)
- Nick Nethercote blogged about AdBlock Plus memory usage in Firefox: https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2014/05/14/adblock-pluss-effect-on-firefoxs-memory-usage/
- W3C CSS Working Group F2F Meetings this week
- Notable Bug Fixes:
- bug 964646 - Add tests for async CSS Animations (OMTA)
- bug 1008787 - Plugins should be clipped to the size layout expects them to be
- bug 1009478 - Make LayerActivity properties survive across reframes of an element
- bug 1005660 - Add an "early freeze" step, to freeze flex items that clearly can't grow (or shrink, if we're shrinking).
- bug 1010470 - Use :disabled pseudoclass instead of [disabled] attribute-selector to style disabled form controls on B2G & Android.
- bug 1001233 - convert bullet frame's margin to the block frame's writing mode when positioning bullet.
- bug 992100 - mask out complex-script codepoints in fonts that lack the necessary layout tables.
- bug 1009263 - Add nsCheapSets::Clear() method that removes all entries and return it to minimal size in terms of memory use.
- bug 1008969 - [css-grid] add nsGridContainerFrame::Reflow and a few grid related nsHTMLReflowState additions
- bug 1000423 - position: fixed elements are misplaced
- bug 916315 - Enable CSS sticky positioning in release desktop builds
- bug 590790 - Add memory reporter for VectorImage's SVGDocumentWrapper's document
- bug 1004327 - input type=number limited to 3 digits of precision
- WebRTC Interim meeting in Washington DC this week
- H264 SDP and packetization code progressing; likely will land soon in support of B2G HW codecs and OpenH264
- Investigating a significant regression in call connections in WebRTC (possible ICE rate-limiting issue)
- If confirmed, will ask for uplift of a fix to Beta
- Media Capture working group (MediaStreams, getUserMedia()) likes standardizing mozCaptureStream/mozCaptureStreamUntilEnded, and extending to canvases
- New HTTP cache has landed!
- gets rid of largest sources of jank in the browser: other than some startup jank we appear to have no more janks that are longer than 100ms, even on very slow disks. (note: Honza's number's are with a patch that disabled 5 sources of startup jank)
- 1st hit (uncached) loads are now much faster, since we delay writing to cache.
- Cache no longer disappears whenever we have "unclean" shutdown (which was ~10-20% of the time)
- We still have some memory consumption issues to fix on mobile (bug 1013333, and B2G/mobile folks may want to help us decide what amount of RAM cache, etc we should use.
- TLS proxying (ie. TLS connection to HTTP proxy) has landed. (bug 378637). Enables us to work securely with web accelerating proxies.
- Akamai will be demo-ing opportunistic encryption (i.e. TLS w/o certs) with us at the upcoming IETF meeting in New York.
No update this week
- Ability to test testing public key pins landed last night. We want testers to set "security.cert_pinning.enforcement_level" to 3 and see what breaks, telemetry says errors are less than 10^-4 so we are feeling good about going to production soon.
- bug 973837 has landed and been uplifted to Beta. It blocks view-source URI's in the data attribute on <object>, which prevents a variant of the same security hole that necessitated blocking the URI on iframes a few months ago.
- No update this week.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
- (:bajaj) Firefox OS 2.0 Sprint #1 Review Report can be found here (You will need a mozilla google doc/drive account to view it!)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor Yash! Here are some highlights:
- Tom Schuster (evilpie) updated the Qt port (bug 1008668).
- Robert Utasi (hunboy) corrected some about:networking UI (bug 1011425).
- [first patch!] Svetozar Janjic improved MIPS support for SpiderMonkey (bug 996561).
- Rafael Vieira performed RefPtr/nsRefPtr maintenance (bug 1009228).
- Fred Wang (fredw) improved MathML styling (bug 930504).
- Brian Smith (bsmith) improved libpkix (bug 1006041, bug 1006958, bug 1010581, bug 989564)
- Masatoshi Kimura (emk) fixed the download manager not respecting security settings (bug 1008778, bug 1008851)
- [first patch!] Kestrel fixed dragging text selections within links (bug 998278).
- Arpad Borsos (Swatinem) fixed a SpiderMonkey spec compliance problem (bug 1007285, bug 474369)
- Julien Levesy added a new IonMonkey instruction (bug 1008707).
- Anuj Agarwal (anujagarwal464) modernized some hashtables (bug 984123).
- Adam (hobophobe) fixed an intermittent orange (bug 1008450).
- Martin Stránský fixed a GTK3 crash (bug 909082).
- [first patch!] Inanc Seylan added several IonMonkey instructions (bug 1003802, bug 1009967, bug 1010339).
- Xidorn Quan fixed a vertical positioning layout issue (bug 1011461).
- [first patch!] qeole made the plugin timeout value configurable (bug 1007490).
- Alex Vincent (WeirdAl) provided addons with a standard directory for data (bug 915838).
- Arnaud Bienner improved HTML button display (bug 1007278).
- Girish Sharma (Optimizer) added an API for determining if a module has been loaded (bug 1004487).
- [first patch!] Althaf Hameez (ahameez) improved OOM message recognition (bug 1001206).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
10:46 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from stabiliy, and I will miss the meeting due to a conflict 10:46 cpeterson: ok 11:01 blassey: cpeterson: drop the notes link? 11:01 cpeterson: blassey: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-05-20 11:02 davidb: toronto on the way 11:08 blassey: milan_: why do we need to support 1.3 on the flame? 11:08 milan_: blassey: because of "sora" device which is close to flame 11:08 milan_: blassey: and nobody has sora... 11:08 overholt: we could have Hudson/Jenkins-style weather reports next to team reports 11:08 bmoss: milan_: is there anything we can do to help you? 11:08 milan_: blassey: and you can't build 1.3 for Flame without some hoop jumping :) 11:11 blassey: I haven't heard of the sora device 11:14 davidb: grobinson, TIL bug 973837 was fixed. thanks for that :) 11:14 grobinson: davidb: yeah, np, that was all bobowen