Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-06-17 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Need To Know
- 2 Quality Programs
- 3 Team Stand-ups
- 3.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 3.2 App Tools (prouget)
- 3.3 B2G Services (dougt)
- 3.4 Cloud Services (mmayo)
- 3.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 3.6 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 3.7 Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- 3.8 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 3.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 3.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 3.11 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- 3.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 3.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 3.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 3.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 3.16 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 3.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 3.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3.19 GFX (milan)
- 3.20 Identity (jedp)
- 3.21 JS (naveed)
- 3.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 3.23 Media (mreavy)
- 3.24 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 3.25 Performance (vladan)
- 3.26 Seceng (tanvi)
- 3.27 Shumway (tschneidereit)
- 3.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 4 Roundtable
- 5 <Read only beyond this point>
Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: February 13, 2023||Next Release: February 14, 2023|
|Central: 111||Aurora: 54||Beta: 110||Release: 109|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
- Unified builds now enabled for B2G device builds bug 950676
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 7.36 (Previous Week: 9.66).
- #4: bug 1016310 - Intermittent browser_console_optimized_out_vars.js | Test timed out.
- Tracking down a ~2x regression in B2G reftest runtime between Gecko 30 and Gecko 32 (bug 1025961).
- 20 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Thanks to Randell Jesup for fixing various WebRTC crashes and Gijs Kruitbosch for fixing a couple frequent Australis oranges.
- Some more big memory usage improvements landed in pdf.js.
- Jed Davis wrote some patches for profiling the copy-on-write behavior of Nuwa. Unsurprisingly most of the page faults occur when we finish loading JS after forking.
- Signatures for OOM crashes are now either "OOM | small" (<256k), "OOM | large | foo" (needs fallible allocation), or "OOM | unknown | foo" (needs OOMAllocationSize annotation). See dev-platform/firefox-dev post from bsmedberg for more details.
- arewestableyet dashboard now shows more realistic green/yellow/red coding based on experiences of recent release trains.
- Desktop Beta 31 has bug 988549 (_VEC_memzero | _VEC_memzero, startup) being >9% of all crashes, we will needs GFX team to investigate even though we do not have STR at this time. QA is trying to get as much data as possible out of crash-stats to help, but we will need devs on it.
- Release suffers from 3rd-party crashes with adware and banking plugins, see recent CrashKill meeting agenda for details on that and other issues causing high crash rates right now.
- Switch to more reliable ADI infrastructure is coming near, tracked by bug 981663.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Cloud Services (mmayo)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- Jon Morton (DOM intern) is picking up the work done last year by Morris Tseng on WebGL in Workers bug 709490
- Landed patches to feed the HTML parser without going through the main thread for non-HTTP channels (especially relevant to b2g) bug 1024388
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
Work In Progress
- Improve tab management (1004850,817716)
- Intent-driven distribution selection and download for partners (1013024)
- bug 1012720 Fix deleting prototype getters in Fennec code
- Folks looking into several things for Gonzales (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Gonzales)
- Integrating Search Activity into m-c bug 1021864
- bug 1014848 - Improve interactions for "toolbar" (activating/deactivating awesome bar)
- bug 1014335 - Make "Pull to Refresh" in Synced Tabs and Home Panels feel excellent.
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
- support add-on hot fixes (Bug 1004571)
- Blacklist Top Sites suggestions that have been "removed" by user (Bug 1010266)
- crash in js::GCMarker::drainMarkStack(js::SliceBudget&) (Bug 1011474)
- crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid selection notification range: 0 to #, length: # at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoEditable.onSelectionChange(GeckoEditable.java) (Bug 1011059)
- Add a way to distinguish chrome hangs from content ones in BHR (Bug 1013326)
- Distribution handling is triggered by ActivityChooserModel during initial startup (Bug 1014242)
- Finish BrowserHealthRecorder initialization after distribution processing (Bug 1014283)
- Polish button toast appearance (Bug 1019318)
- First tap in the Marketplace page will open the same page in a new tab (Bug 1019613)
- Undo close tab super toast blocks access to the address bar (Bug 1019735)
- String bundles from .properties files don't reflect locale changes until browser restart (Bug 1020502)
- Text selection action bar is invoked on long tapping a images in Google Images (Bug 1020995)
- Record telemetry for browser database operations (Bug 1021922)
- Regression: Removing Item from Reading List by tapping banner icon fails (Bug 1022238)
- Fix suface stride calculation for 16-bit images (Bug 1023194)
- Disable undo close tab toast for Fx32 (Bug 1023406)
- Disable switch-to-new-tab button toast for Fx32 (Bug 1023407)
- No way to remove dynamic panel added by home feeds add-on (Bug 1023544)
- Empty state image cut off (Bug 1023914)
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)
- Device porting (Gonk team)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- bug 1017438 - A short period of sound at the end of a song would be cut off too early (1.4+)
- bug 1000522 - [B2G]Video cannot be played more than 3-5 times in the row, gets stuck and requires app restart (2.0+)
- bug 941302 - PlatformDecoderModule for FirefoxOS/B2G (2.1 feature)
- bug 1009410 - Expose graphic Buffer to MediaCodec
- bug 904177 - Integrate MediaCodec into gecko for media playback (2.1 feature)
- Audios and videos can be played right now. Polishing.
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen)
- bug 855952 - DeviceStorage API: File append (r+)
- Studied MTP spec and Android implementation
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 987040 - Implement mozbrowserSelection
- bug 918984 - Direct video stream texturing support on WebGL
- bug 1020261 - [Touch Caret] Enable touch caret sanity test on B2G
- bug 1011149 - Video freezes when audio track is disabled on remote stream.
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- bug 1010252 - Wifi known network is forgotten while auto-connection failed
- bug 921326 - Cellbroadcast API: support multiple sim cards
- bug 1023695 - [B2G][SMS] Introduce sms-deleted event to provide the awareness of change in MobileMessageDB for multiple apps interested in SMS
- bug 1020212 - Wifi can't access keystore in gecko on Flame.
- bug 1020866 - WPA-EAP doesn't use phase 2 authentication.
- bug 1023115 - WPA-EAP doesn't stop retry connection failed network.
- bug 1017485 - [Follow up of Bug 984207] Define timing to enable/disable P2p mode.
- bug 997576 - [NFC] Testcase for reading empty NFC tag.
- bug 843452 - B2G RIL: use ipdl as IPC in MozMobileConnection.
- bug 1020956 - [RTSP][V2.0] The kernel crash happened if RTSP streaming is interrupted several times by incoming call.
- bug 1021006 - [RTSP][2.0] Browser pops up a network warning message in the end of video RTSP streaming.
- bug 1020980 - [RTSP][2.0] E/OMX-VDEC-1080P( 300): Error: Insufficient size allocated for extra-data.
- bug 935843 - B2G RIL: Parse EF_IMG from SIM.
- bug 1010356 - Network location provider should try to send neighboring cell data.
- bug 1017950 - [Flatfish][Wifi] Not able to scan and connect to wifi.
- bug 1020305 - Wi-Fi usage shows wrong graphic.
- bug 1023029 - [Network Information API] Add type 'unknown' in to 'ConnectionType' enum.
- bug 859764 - WebSMS: move to MozMobileMessage WebIDL.
- bug 1010292 - crash in strstr | update_ctrl_interface.
- bug 1003775 - B2G NFC: removePeerTarget in Nfc.js doesn't work for Browser app.
- bug 963541 - B2G NFC: Have a clear definition with NFCTag.connect and NFCTag.close.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- OMTC on Windows is still enabled on Aurora, and we know there are regressions, especially when it comes to WebGL. There is enough real world benefit (e.g., async video) to make disabling OMTC on Aurora a difficult decision. Stay tuned.
- With the layout team working on CSSOM-View scroll-behavior 1010538, we're coordinating with them and UX when it comes to APZ, etc.
- Low resolution tiling for B2G is on trunk/aurora, we have some correctness regressions, some of them in Fennec.
- Accelerated (flywheel) scrolling created more checkerboarding opportunities, as the far content is requested sooner.
- Good conversations about tiling+apz on desktop between graphics and layout teams. No hard dates yet, but things are moving in the right direction.
- There is this thing that was too slow on Firefox OS 1.4, and is now fast enough, and that's a big deal and everybody is really excited.
- Notable Fixes:
- Fira Sans is now available as a reftest font. Use it.
- bug 1004377 - Dispatch events for CSS Animations with empty keyframes rules
- bug 1018862 - Make tests for CSS Transitions (OMTA) confirm the animation is being performed on the compositor
- bug 1023727 - SVG Shadow DOM fixes
- bug 1023655 - Remove DOCTYPEs from SVG documents to avoid failed DTD loads
- bug 1017798 - CSS Shadow DOM fixes
- bug 940845 - [PERF] Add a blur cache for rectangular blurs
- bug 1023464 - Add support for the --setpref argument to mach reftest.
- bug 1021420 - [Flame] Marketplace does not scroll vertically
- bug 1022624 - Implement support for gradients with ExtendMode::REFLECT in DrawTargetCG
- bug 63895 - positioned internal table elements not abs pos containing block
- bug 1007639 - stop shipping .woff fonts as part of the desktop browser product.
- bug 1007629 - eliminate use of "embedded" fonts in about:preferences.
- bug 1020143 - prefer tabular numerals for list numbering.
- bug 1025497 - Stop using gfxImageSurface in Cocoa widget code
- bug 1025491 - Remove the DumpAsPNG() code in FilterNodeSoftware.cpp
- bug 1019753 - Use Moz2D DataSourceSurfaces instead of Thebes gfxImageSurfaces
- bug 1023336 - Avoid jank caused by oversized data wrapping DataSourceSurfaces
- bug 1015785 - Fix Moz2D's AlignedArray::Realloc() to not over allocate.
- bug 1014252 - [PERF] Optimize clearing of textruns via RemoveInFlows.
- about:webrtc now has buttons to enable internal webrtc.org logging, and to enable AEC input/outout dumps to files.
- There are prefs to set the destinations, with platform-appropriate defaults (media.webrtc.debug.*)
- You can now turn on webrtc.org logging (formerly only available via NSPR_LOG_MODULES=webrtc_trace:NNNN) in about:config
- Identified some-macs-only echo issue with (analog) headsets, where there's a 1-second non-airpath (non-acoustic) echo coming from somewhere in the OS/system.
- Load Manager for webrtc is now on by default, and there's a known regression when it reduces send resolution that causes horizontal artifacts.
- We expect to move the webrtc and other media tests on b2g emulator to ix hardware slaves (from AWS) to try to rein in performance-induced oranges. We expect this in the next week or so.
- Lots of work fixing holes and timing issues in the ICE/etc code, both for Loop/field issues and also trying to tamp down all the "ICE failed to connect"/etc oranges especially on B2G emulator (see previous note as well).
- Ten year old bug finally fixed: Download manager couldn't detect incomplete downloads (bug 237623)
- We now fail partial transfers with a new error (NS_ERROR_NET_PARTIAL_TRANSFER): possible we've missed some code that needs to handle/ignore it to work as it did before. (we fixed imglib and some other call sites).
- bug 998863: Aaron Klotz has a prototype of a patch to asynchronously initialize plugins (e.g. Flash) in web pages. This will mitigate 4 out of the top 10 most common sources of long Firefox janks!
- Blog post, including a video explanation of how it works: http://dblohm7.ca/blog/2014/06/17/asynchronous-plugin-initialization-an-introduction/
- Aaron is currently working on fixing a few stability issues, it's not quite ready for user testing yet.
- You can now see the evolution of your Telemetry data across versions/channels with a new view on http://telemetry.mozilla.org. Simply click on "Add Series". Let us know if you find bugs. Metrics team will work on improving the UX.
- bug 987728: Roberto Vitillo is working on replacing localstore.rdf with a non-RDF version and moving its I/O off the main thread.
- bug 1017055, bug 1019101, bug 1019611: We're looking into pausing GC and CC during UI animations. The first step is to collect Telemetry to determine how much of a benefit we could gain from this.
- bug 1020663: Avi Halachmi is adding WebGL performance tests to Talos.
- bug 946567: We're aware of many Talos regressions from turning OMTC on by default on Windows. Gfx team is working on fixing these
- bug 1004352 Enabled pinning for google in FF 33.
- bug 1020485 Enabled test mode pinning for accounts.firefox.com
- Service worker meetup in SF next week.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor Sushant Dinesh! Here are some highlights:
- [first patch!] Zorro improved the bootstrap process (bug 972329).
- Stefan (stefanh) improved some platform CSS colors (bug 1022912).
- Caio Lima (caiolima) added an IonMonkey JIT instruction (bug 1020637).
- Guillermo López (willyaranda) improved some push code (bug 1024579).
- Douglas Crosher (dougc) fixed some ARM SpiderMonkey problems (bug 1020141, bug 1021754).
- Giovanni Sferro (agi) made input labels not apply to hidden inputs (bug 597650, bug 995901).
- Guillaume Abadie (guillaume) fixed a number of WebGL problems (bug 1022077, bug 1022272, bug 973815).
- Robert Longson (longsonr) corrected an SVG gradient issue (bug 989230).
- Julien Levensy fixed a JIT assertion (bug 1015498).
- Ekanan Ketunuti added words to the dictionary (bug 1022271, bug 956541).
- [first patch!] Guptha implemented an ES6 feature (bug 1021368).
- [first patch!] Bernardo Rittmeyer (rittme) made about:support list locked prefs (bug 804430).
- Sankha Narayan Guria (sankha93) fixed a SpiderMonkey parse issue (bug 957513).
- Martin Stransky corrected a number of GTK3 problems (bug 1023004, bug 957396, bug 968196).
- Inanc Seylan added an IonMonkey instruction (bug 1008110).
- [first patch!] Lucas Golven allowed the screensaver to be disabled on OS X (bug 772347).
- Xidorn Quan added a number of CSS counter styles (bug 1025359, bug 966166, bug 982355, bug 985825).
- Althaf Hameez (ahameez) fixed a Places backup problem (bug 1016953).
- Jan Beich (jbeich) corrected a number of BSD build problems (bug 1015547, bug 1016744, bug 1022686, bug 1023028, bug 1023399, bug 1024510).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
11:01 blassey: cpeterson: link? 11:01 cpeterson: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-06-17 11:05 catlee: cpeterson: just a quick note from releng actually - Unified builds now enabled for B2G device builds (bug 950676) 11:08 jet: cpeterson: just updated Layout section <read only> 11:08 cpeterson: jet: thanks 11:18 vladan: cpeterson: fyi, i'm on the call and will read the update, but my webcam isn't working 11:19 kip: 'grats on 15fps! 11:19 cpeterson: vladan: ok 11:23 dveditz: bye all