Program Management/Programs/Silent Update/2011-09-27
- 1 Features
- 1.1 Lessen the showing of the what's new page
- 1.2 OS dialog for Mac
- 1.3 Removal of OS security dialog for Windows
- 1.4 Add-ons Default to Compatible
- 1.5 Move most of update to pre-shutdown
- 1.6 New workflow for updating users with incompatible add-ons
- 1.7 Lessen the display of pre-shutdown app update UI
- 2 Getting the word out
- 3 Other
Need details on staffing, timeline, and if anything is blocked.
Lessen the showing of the what's new page
- Lawrence spoke with Ben Hearsum from releng. Currently rewriting server side, which will make it easier to control the what's new page, eta 4-6 months
- releng should be able to help out in the short term with adequate notice (at least 2 weeks)
- need to be clear on the requirements from product management
- bug 459972, releng team has submitted the majority of the work
OS dialog for Mac
- This is really about making the update less silent on Mac, this is a security bug
Removal of OS security dialog for Windows
- Brian Bondy is working on this.
- Initial version to review this week.
- Bypasses UAC as required.
- Still need to prompt in limited user account case. This is work to be completed.
- Should be able to land in 2-3 weeks for FF10.
Add-ons Default to Compatible
- No work for update team.
- Chris will follow up.
Move most of update to pre-shutdown
- Secondary item.
- Mainly moving update to app shutdown as opposed to startup.
- Brian suggests waiting until after the service part is done.
- This will cross all platforms.
- Need to deal with OS shutdown so that we don't end up in an inconsistent state.
- Ehsan will investigate.
- Feature page
New workflow for updating users with incompatible add-ons
- Rob spoke with Asa about this. Need specification better defined.
- Rob will work with UX to flush this out.
- How often will we remind users?
Lessen the display of pre-shutdown app update UI
- Need to firm up how much time we're going to wait.
- Won't add additional value to update.xml in the first version.
- Rob will speak with security and Limi to get a number of how long to wait to prompt.
- Rob will speak with Tim about optimizing the display of the update dialog.
- Feature page
Getting the word out
- Get this into the public's view.
- Rob will put together an overview of the silent update effort.
- wiki page
- blog posts - lmandel, YOUR NAME HERE