Program Management/Programs/Silent Update/2011-10-04
Lessen the showing of the what's new page
Owner: Lawrence to follow up with releng team.
- bug 459972, which addresses updating the snippets XML files, is complete
- bug 682805, which addresses updating the snippets generator, has a patch and is in progress
Removal of OS security dialog for Windows
- Working on subtasks, needs lots of work
- Working on process flow doc for security review
Add-ons Default to Compatible
Owner: Chris following up.
- Chris spoke with Justin, team ready to move forward
- Reached out to Jonathan for an assignee
- Dave Townsend, Blair McBride, and Rob Strong really know this code
Apply update on shutdown
New workflow for updating users with incompatible add-ons
Owner: Rob to work with Asa.
- Rob met with Alex. Need to have a meeting with UX to make sure we both have an understanding. Need Limi as well.
Lessen the display of app update UI
- Rob will speak with security and Limi to get a number of how long to wait to prompt.
- Rob will speak with Tim about optimizing the display of the update dialog.
- From Asa: Waiting 24 or 36 hours before updating prompt. I think this would be a simple patch to change that value and I'd try to get this into 8 still. Would need a patch ASAP though. Security's already said they're OK lengthening it.
- After Rob approves today need release drivers to approve.
- Change to 24 hours approved by security.
- Patch applies to all branches. Concern that doing this on nightly is not a good thing to do. Do this on Aurora, Beta, and release. Tim has resubmitted a patch that excludes nightly.
Getting the word out
- Request from Asa: For Windows users applying a partial update, at least, the update on launch dialog could be hidden for most users I think. It's only a few seconds and I'd like to see if we could change this to not show unless more than 3 or 4 seconds have passed. If this is a trivial patch, I'd try to get it into 9.
- Rob: partials take longer than completes. Completes are very quick.
- Need to understand what is a long time. Have a concern about a slow piece of hardware as well. Pull in Limi to find out how long is too long.
- Telemetry doesn't apply as this is outside of the application.
- Chris will follow up and create feature page.