Program Management/Programs/Silent Update/2011-10-13
Lessen the showing of the what's new page
- We landed this change for 8. Great work.
- Change allows to show or hide the what's new page.
- Will show the what's new page for users moving up from 3.6 but not for users moving up from 7.
Removal of OS security dialog for Windows
- Security review went well (review notes)
- New ideas for test cases.
- Open issues like how do we handle crash reports.
- Don't know how to store certificates to do updates - need to find out if a registry or settings file will be acceptable
- This feature needs to land on nightly.
- Currently blocked by bug 663055 - need to wait for driver signing before we can land it, can land code but can't turn it on beforehand
- Lawrence to follow-up with Chris Atlee
- This change won't be visible by end users until release +1 as the service needs to be installed. This means if it ships in FF10, users won't see the results of this change until FF11.
Add-ons Default to Compatible
- Met with Justin Scott and team yesterday.
- Work prioritized. Earliest we'll start to see changes that can land is 3 weeks.
Apply update on shutdown
- Two options being considered, review and comment in Implementation Strategies wiki page.
- Asked bsmedberg and a couple of other people for feedback.
- More than likely this will make FF11.
- Should have a better idea of when this can be done by next week.
- Think that this should improve the Linux and Mac experience quite a bit.
New workflow for updating users with incompatible add-ons
Owner: Rob to work with Asa.
- Need a meeting with UX to ensure that the experience is acceptable
- Should we ignore the fact that they have incompatible add-ons?
- Some UI would need to be included to allow users to override our override.
Lessen the display of app update UI
- Landed change for display delay from 12 to 24 hours in FF8.
- Delay is per session as when you exit your session you apply the update.
- Remaining work
- If there's a newer update we should cancel the older update and download the newer one, this affects nightly and aurora and is less important for release as the updates are every 6 weeks.
Getting the word out
- Mozilla blog mirrored Brian's post
- Press coverage from Brian's article
- To increase exposure Lawrence listed silent update work on the planning call this week. Will add to development call next week as well.
- Curtis raised a concern over the updates being too silent. We have the ability to inform users via the "know your rights" popup if we need to. We can investigate further if required.