QA/Activity Stream (system add-on)
- 1 Overview
- 2 Testing summary
- 3 Requirements for testing
- 4 Test Strategy
- 5 Status
- 6 References
- 7 Testcases
- 8 Bug Work
- 9 Sign off
- 10 Approvals Required / Received
- 11 Revision History
Activity Stream is a Firefox about:newtab and about:home replacement that aims to help users return quickly and easily to contextually relevant stuff on the web. It is currently implemented as an Add-on SDK/Jetpack add-on, and has been running as a TestPilot experiment for some months. more info
The Test Plan has been moved to: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AkPOXuL-6m9Vhlnex9sC6bkTXKAwWcZSgoeZIzV93AQ/edit
- Engineering contact: Tim Spurway
- Production contact: Maria Popova
- User Experience contact: Bryan Bell
- PM for QA team - Rares Bologa
- Leading QA efforts - Paul Oiegas
- QA - Vlad Bacia
- QA - Ciprian Muresan
- QA - Peter deHaan
IRC - #activity-stream
Contact email - Activity Stream (goes to Activity Stream staff)
Scope of Testing
The scope of our testing is the Activity Stream desktop system add-on and its functionality. The testing effort for Activity Stream will be invested on the following areas:
- integration: verify the add-on integration with the current browser functionalities and UI;
- functionality: basic and advanced functionality to be verified according to the existing requirements;
- usability: the Activity Stream New Tab content must be easy to use and straightforward;
- testing how Bookmarks and History are imported in the add-on functionalities (from profile or Firefox account);
Out of Scope
The mobile testing is not in Desktop QA Engineering's scope.
Telemetry (server side) is covered by the Onyx subsystem.
Pocket (server side) is covered by Pocket internal test infrastructure.
Snippets (server side) is covered by Snippets subsystem.
Requirements for testing
Testing will be performed on the following machines:
- Intel Core i5 @2.7 GHz, RAM 8GB, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 - Mac OS X 10.10, Mac OS X 10.11, Mac OS X 10.12
- AMD FX-8320 @3.5 Ghz, RAM 16GB, ATI Radeon 3000 - Win 7 x64
- AMD FX-8320 @3.5 GHz, RAM 16GB, nVidia 210 - Win 8.1 x64, Win 10 x64, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 15.04
- Intel i5-3470 @3.2 GHz, RAM 16GB AMD R7 360 - Ubuntu 12.04 x32, Ubuntu 14.04 x64
All workstations are protected by Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 v10.3.0
Risk Assessment and Coverage
|ID||Description / Threat Description||Covered by Test Objective||Magnitude||Probability||Priority||Impact Score|
|RAC-1||Dependencies on profile History and Bookmarks||TO-2||3-High||3-Almost Certain||3-High||27|
|RAC-2||Information should be displayed as soon as the browser starts||TO-1||3-High||3-Almost Certain||3-High||27|
|RAC-5||Disable A-S from about:config||TO-7||2-Moderate||2-Possible||3-High||12|
- Magnitude: 1- Low , 2-Moderate, 3-High
- Probability: 1-Unlikely, 2-Possible, 3-Almost Certain
- Priority: 1 - Low, 2-Medium, 3-High
Impact Score Breakdown:
- An impact value of 1, 2, 3, 4 would describe an area which although should be covered there aren't expected any discoveries of critical issues.
- An impact value of 6, 8, 9, 12 would describe an area in which we expect to find issues but those issues are not expected to be critical.
- An impact value of 18 or 27 would describe an area on which it is likely to find issues and those issues to be critical or blockers.
This section details the progression test objectives that will be covered. Please note that this is at a high level. For large projects, a suite of test cases would be created which would reference directly back to this master. This could be documented in bullet form or in a table similar to the one below.
|Ref||Function||Test Objective||Evaluation Criteria||Test Type||Owners|
|1||Activity Stream functionality and content||Verify that Activity Stream content is displayed in a new tab and about:home (TBD)||Activity stream user content is displayed in each new tab or about:home (TBD)||Manual||Eng Team|
|2||Bookmarks & history||Verify that profile / account bookmarks and history are correctly imported in the add-on||All the previous stored data is displayed on the Activity Stream pages||Manual||Eng Team|
|3||Homepage override & about:home override (TBD)|| 1. Verify that Activity Stream content is displayed when navigating to clicking the "Home" button of about:home (TBD)
2. Verify that custom homepages can still be set.
| 1. Clicking the Home button or navigating to about:home (TBD) correctly redirects to the Activity Stream page
2. Navigating to about:home correctly redirects to the custom set page
|4||Private Window||Verify that the Activity Stream content is not displayed when opening a New Private window or a New Tab in the Private window||The privacy page is displayed when opening a New Private window or tab||Manual||Eng Team|
|5||Localization|| 1. Verify that the Activity Stream page and customization menu are localized.
2. Verify that the Activity Stream page and customization menu is localized in RTL locales and content is correctly displayed.
| 1. The Activity Stream page and the customization menu are localized.
2. The Activity Stream page and the customization menu are localized and correctly displayed in RTL.
|6||Accessibility|| 1. Verify that the Activity Stream page and customization menu are correctly rendered when using Windows High Contrast themes.
2. Verify that the Activity Stream page and customization menu are usable with a Screen Reader.
| 1. Areas are correctly rendered when using the high contrast themes.
2. The Screen Reader can successfully read the elements on the page.
|7||Disable / Re-enable the Activity Stream system add-on||Verify that the system add-on can be disabled and enabled without any issues.|| 1. Disable the Activity Stream system add-on from the "about:config" page, using "browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.enabled" pref ("True" for enabled and "False" for disabled).
2. Verify that the browser UI returned to default functionality on the affected areas.
3. Re-enable Activity Stream system add-on and verify that the browser has changed back.
|8||Memory usage||Compare the memory usage of the add-on with measurements from the past.|| 1. Measure the memory usage from about:memory with the sysyem add-on turned OFF.
2. Measure the memory usage from about:memory with the system add-on turned ON.
3. Compare the memory profiles over time.
Activity Stream system add-on can be found in the next builds:
- Nightly - starting with build from 2017-03-06 - a blank page
- Nightly - starting with build from 2017-04-24 - Top Sites and Search were implemented
Test Execution Schedule
The following table identifies the anticipated testing period available for test execution.
|Project phase||Start Date||End Date|
|Study documentation/specs received from developers||02/15/2016||02/16/2016|
|QA - Test plan creation||01/25/2016||02/17/2016|
|QA - Test cases/Env preparation||02/18/2016||03/02/2016|
|QA - Nightly Testing||05/16/2017||-|
|QA - Beta Testing||-||-|
Detail the tools to be used for testing, for example see the following table:
|Test plan creation||Mozilla wiki|
|Test case creation||TestRail|
|Test case execution||TestRail|
|Bugs management||GitHub / Bugzilla|
- Nightly - starting with build from 2017-04-26
List and links for specs:
- Activity Stream Wiki page.
- Activity Stream GitHub repository.
- Tracking Project
- Engineering OKRs
- Activity Stream Dashboard
- Activity Stream Desktop Trello
- Acceptance Criteria for Activity Stream
|Theme (high contrast)||Yes|
|Memory measurements (manual)||Yes|
|Verify Activity Stream is available in core set of supported locales||Yes|
|Keyboard-only operation||Yes||Navigation, selection and link opening only.|
|Display (HiDPI)||Yes||Testing on 2k and 4k resolution displays.|
|Interaction (scroll, zoom)||Yes|
|Usable with a screen reader||Yes||e.g. with NVDA|
|Usability and/or discoverability testing||Yes||The feature replaces the about:newtab page|
|Feature upgrades/downgrades data as expected||Yes|
|Does sync work across upgrades||Yes||Tested if data is kept after upgrade, after import or sync profile data.|
|Requires install testing||No|
|Affects first-run or onboarding||Yes||Requires some fetching time if the profile used has stored history and bookmarks.|
|Does this affect partner builds? Partner build testing||No|
|Verify that Activity Stream can be "disabled"||Yes||It should be able to be enabled and disabled by a toggle in about:preferences or by pref in about:config|
|Temporary or permanent telemetry monitoring||Yes||Not covered by the Engineering QA team|
|Telemetry correctness testing||Yes||Not covered by the Engineering QA team|
|Server integration testing||Yes||Not covered by the Engineering QA team|
|Offline and server failure testing||Yes||Not covered by the Engineering QA team|
|Load testing||Yes||Not covered by the Engineering QA team|
|If add-ons are available for testing feature, or is current feature will affect some add-ons, then API testing should be done for the add-on.|
|Addon API required?||No|
|Comprehensive API testing||No|
|Testing with existing/popular add-ons||Yes|
|Security is in charge of Matt Wobensmith. We should contact his team to see if security testing is necessary for current feature.|
|3rd-party security review||Yes||Not covered by the Engineering QA team|
|Privilege escalation testing||Yes||Not covered by the Engineering QA team|
|Fuzzing||Yes||Not covered by the Engineering QA team|
|Testing against target sites||No|
|Survey of many sites for compatibility||No|
|Common protocol/data format with other software: specification available. Interop testing with other common clients or servers.|
|Coordinated testing/interop across the Firefoxes: Desktop, Android, iOS||Yes|
|Interaction of this feature with other browser features||Yes|
- Full Test suite - Activity Stream Full Functional (TestRail)
- Smoke Test suite - Activity Stream Smoke suite (TestRail)
- Regression Test suite - TBD if available/needed
- Tracking bug – GitHub issues page
- Tracking bug - Bugzilla issues filter
- Test Pilot Issues found list - SV QA Engineering found bugs
- Nightly Issues found list - SV QA Engineering found bugs
- All test cases should be executed
- Has sufficient automated test coverage (as measured by code coverage tools) - coordinate with RelMan</s>
- All blockers, criticals must be fixed and verified or have an agreed-upon timeline for being fixed (as determined by engineering/RelMan/QA)
List of OSes that will be covered by testing
- Link for the tests run
- Full Test suite - N/A
Merge to Beta Sign-off
List of OSes that will be covered by testing
- Link for the tests run - N/A
- Full Test suite - N/A
|Testing Prerequisites (specs, use cases)||[DONE]|
|Testing Infrastructure setup||No|
|Test Plan Creation||[DONE]|
|Test Cases Creation||[DONE]|
|Full Functional Tests Execution||[IN PROGRESS]|
|Automation Coverage||-||Not on QA manual end.|
|Performance Testing||-||Not on QA manual end.|
|All Defects Logged|
|Critical/Blockers Fixed and Verified|
|Daily Status Report (email/etherpad statuses/ gdoc with results)|
|QA Beta - Full Testing|
|QA Signoff - Beta Release||Email to be sent|
Approvals Required / Received
The following individuals are required to/have approved this Test Plan:
|Lawrence Mandel / RyanVM||QA Manager||Product Integrity||Date|
|Tim Spurway||Software Engineer||Product Engineering||Date|
|Nick Chapman / Maria Popova||EPM||Product Management||Date|
This section describes the modifications that have been made to this wiki page. A new row has been completed each time the content of this document is updated (small corrections for typographical errors do not need to be recorded). The description of the modification contains the differences from the prior version, in terms of what sections were updated and to what extent.
|05/18/2017||1.0||Ciprian Muresan||Created the first draft for the Activity Stream system add-on|
|07/11/2017||1.1||Vlad Bacia-Mociran||Updated the document with info regarding Memory measurements|
|08/18/2017||1.2||Vlad Bacia-Mociran||Updated the document with info regarding "Approvals Required", "Risk Assessment", "Test Objectives" sections|