This section describes the modifications that have been made to this wiki page. A new row has been completed each time the content of this document is updated (small corrections for typographical errors do not need to be recorded). The description of the modification contains the differences from the prior version, in terms of what sections were updated and to what extent.
|09/20/2016||1.0||Adrian Florinescu||Initial Draft|
- 1 Overview
- 2 Testing summary
- 3 Requirements for testing
- 4 Test Strategy
- 5 Status
- 6 References
- 7 Testcases
- 8 Bug Work
- 9 Sign off
The redesign of the Download Manager with additional changes to the Content Handling is documented from the test point of view in Content_Handling TestPlan. Working and landing the finished or in progress work is done in stages which cover a reduced area. This test plan cover such a stage which is part of the Download Panel UX Redesign.
This wiki details the testing that will be performed by the project team for the Content Handler project. It defines the overall testing requirements and provides an integrated view of the project test activities. Its purpose is to document:
- What will be tested
- How testing will be performed
• EPM (Manager: Vance Chen)
• UX (Manager: Harly Hsu)
• Front End (Manager Evelyn Hung)
• Platform (Manager: Ben Tian)
Scope of Testing
As specified in the Overview section, The DownloadPanel Dropmarker is a small redesign section of a bigger redesign and refactoring project: see [meta] Firefox Download Panel UX Redesign). The work contained in this small section surrounds the dropmarker area and some additional visual enhancements. The development tracking issues are the following: 1269962 , 1282689 , 1297039 , 1297657 , 1298276 , 1299712.
- Signoff Smoke Testing
- Functional Testing
- Regression testing
- Usability testing
Out of Scope
Following areas/features are considered out of scope and will not be considered as testing zones to be handled in this test plan.
- Download manager features: DownloadPanel DropMarker set of features handles mostly visual changes and it brings reduced functionality adjustments, therefore from functionality point of view, QA will only check if regressions have crept with the new design adjustments. Download manager features should remain unchanged, for which purpose Smoke Tests for the Download Manager have been added.
- Performance testing will also not be covered since it is not seen as a risk for this stage.
Requirements for testing
- Ubuntu 14.04 x64
- OS X 10.10
- Windows 8.1 x 64
- Windows 10 x 64
This section details the progression test objectives that will be covered. Please note that this is at a high level. For large projects, a suite of test cases would be created which would reference directly back to this master. This could be documented in bullet form or in a table similar to the one below.
|Ref||Function||Test Objective||Evaluation Criteria||Test Type||Owners|
|1||Download panel :: Show All Downloads||Verify "Show All Downloads" session in Downloads Panel|| 1. - A new button for dropdown menu to display the two new features.
- Clear List
- Open Downloads Folder
- Display “Show All Downloads” section when the mouse hover on the summary section. This only happens when the extra summary section is shown.
|Manual||QA Eng Team|
|2||Download panel :: Summary Section||Verify the new UI and flow||- Download Summary is properly displayed </br> - Download Summary is displayed on hover when 5+ downloads are present||Manual||QA Eng Team|
|3||ToolBar Icon :: Display alert mark badges for exceptional download||Verify the new UI and exceptional downloads flow||Toolbar icon will display additional alert badges when exceptional downloads are performed||Manual||QA Eng Team|
|4||Dropmarker Preference:: Config to turn feature on/off||about:config||The Dropmarker can be turned on/off||Manual||QA Eng Team|
This section should contain links for builds with the feature -
Test Execution Schedule
The following table identifies the anticipated testing period available for test execution.
|Project phase||Start Date||End Date|
|Study documentation/specs received from developers||2016-09-02||2016-09-13|
|QA - Test plan creation||2016-09-20||2016-09-21|
|QA - Test cases/Env preparation||2016-09-01||2016-09-09|
|QA - Nightly Testing||2016-09-12||2016-09-16|
|QA - Aurora Testing||TBD||TBD|
|QA - Beta Testing||TBD||TBD|
Detail the tools to be used for testing, for example see the following table:
|Test plan creation||Mozilla wiki|
|Test case creation||Test Rail|
|Test case execution||Test Rail|
Track the dates and build number where feature was released to Nightly: 2016-08-02 Track the dates and build number where feature was merged to Aurora: 2016-09-19 Track the dates and build number where feature was merged to Release/Beta
Testing Risk Assesment
Due to the nature of this project: the fact that a small number of incomplete implementation are to be verified (see the In Scope), the following risks can be identified:
- Process integration : It often occurs when testing and engineering processes are poorly integrated. We sometimes take a "one-size-fits-all" approach taken to testing, regardless of the specific needs of the project.
- Test communication risk : This problems often occurs when test documents are not maintained or inadequate communication.
- Test Coverage: Most often on features that are still work in progress, inadequate tests, test runs and bugs are executed and logged.
- Regressions: Although, due to the nature of this feature which contains mostly design changes, this risk is minimal, we are still taking it under consideration.
- UX Specification : https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8
- MANA : https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/PM/Content+Handling+Enhancement
- Part of Meta: Bug 1269956 [meta] Firefox Download Panel UX Redesign as follows:
- Bug 1269962 Implement the new features at "Show All Downloads" in Downloads panel.
- Bug 1282689 Show an alert mark on badges if there are exceptional status to download files.
- Bug 1297039 Implement the preference for showing dropmarker or not in Downloads Panel.
- Bug 1297657 Correct the dropmarker design in Downloads Panel for RTL and plain style.
- Bug 1298276 Change the hover behavior in summary section with downloading file
- Bug 1299712 Use a new downloadTypeIcon in Summary Section of Downloads Panel
- Test cases are available on TestRail:
Note: Please note that the above are the testcases which will cover the implementation of the Metabug: Bug 1269956 [meta] Firefox Download Panel UX Redesign. For accurate testcases covering the Dropmarker selection, see: https://testrail.stage.mozaws.net/index.php?/plans/view/651
|Theme (high contrast)||YES|
|Interraction (scroll, zoom)||YES|
|Usable with a screen reader||N/A||e.g. with NVDA|
|Usability and/or discoverability testing||YES||UX team will help with it|
|Help/support interface required||TBD||Make sure link to support/help page exist and is easy reachable.|
|Support documents planned(written)||TBD||Make sure support documents are written and are correct.|
|Feature upgrades/downgrades data as expected||N/A|
|Does sync work across upgrades||YES|
|Requires install testing||NO||separate feature/application installation needed (not only Firefox)|
|Affects first-run or onboarding||N/A|
|Does this affect partner builds? Partner build testing||N/A|
|Enterprise||Raise up the topic to developers to see if they are expecting to work different on ESR builds|
|ESR behavior changes||N/A|
|Temporary or permanent telemetry monitoring||N/A||List of error conditions to monitor|
|Telemetry correctness testing||N/A|
|Server integration testing||N/A|
|Offline and server failure testing||N/A|
|Add-ons||If add-ons are available for testing feature, or is current feature will affect some add-ons, then API testing should be done for the add-on.|
|Addon API required?||N/A|
|Comprehensive API testing||N/A|
|Testing with existing/popular addons||NO|
|Security||Security is in charge of Matt Wobensmith. We should contact his team to see if security testing is necessary for current feature.|
|3rd-party security review||YES||Security team will help with it|
|Privilege escalation testing||NO|
|Web Compatibility||depends on the feature|
|Testing against target sites||NO|
|Survey of many sites for compatibility||NO|
|Interoperability||depends on the feature|
|Common protocol/data format with other software: specification available. Interop testing with other common clients or servers.||NO|
|Coordinated testing/interop across the Firefoxes: Desktop, Android, iOS||NO|
|Interaction of this feature with other browser features||NO|
Full Test suite - TestRail TestRun (requires VPN access) Smoke Test suite - N/A Regression Test suite - Link with test - if available/needed.
1301658 - High Contrast Theme - both options are highlighted in the downloads dropmarker
1301708 - Inconsistent number of clicks when dismissing the downloads panel + dropmarker
1302070 - Windows 7 (Aero) Theme - Open Downloads Folder button contains separator and is not properly highlighted
1303032 - On arabic build "Open Downloads Folder" case is bigger than Download Panel
1303289 - Download Panel color doesn't change if you download malicious or uncommon files
1303007 - Dropmarker options are not translated
0 Total; 0 Open (0%); 0 Resolved (0%); 0 Verified (0%);
- All test cases should be executed
- Has sufficient automated test coverage (as measured by code coverage tools) - coordinate with RelMan
- All blockers, criticals must be fixed and verified or have an agreed-upon timeline for being fixed (as determined by engineering/RelMan/QA)
List of OSes that will be covered by testing
- Link for the tests run
Merge to Aurora Sign-off
List of OSes that will be covered by testing
- Link for the tests run
- Full Test suite
|Testing Prerequisites (specs, use cases)||[DONE]|
|Testing Infrastructure setup||[NOT STARTED]|
|Test Plan Creation||[DONE]|
|Test Cases Creation||[DONE]|
|Full Functional Tests Execution||[DONE]|
|Automation Coverage||[NOT STARTED]|
|Performance Testing||[NOT STARTED]|
|All Defects Logged||[DONE]|
|Critical/Blockers Fixed and Verified||[DONE]|
|Daily Status Report (email/etherpad statuses/ gdoc with results)||[DONE]|
|QA Signoff - Nightly Release||[DONE]|
|QA Aurora - Full Testing||[NOT STARTED]|
|QA Signoff - Aurora Release||[NOT STARTED]|
|QA Beta - Full Testing||[NOT STARTED]|
|QA Signoff - Beta Release||[NOT STARTED]|