From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous mtg | QA Staff Home | next mtg »

QA Staff Meeting Notes March 14, 2012

Meeting Details

 # Every Weds @ 1:30p Pacific Time - Mozilla HQ, Warp Core 
 # Vidyo:
 # Phone:  +1 650 903 0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
 #         +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US Toll Free)
 #         +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312 (Canada)
 # IRC:    irc://

QA Org Items

  • New Hires & Interviews
    • item
  • Community Members Onboarding
    • item
  • Upcoming Events
    • (jsmith) Gecko vs. Webkit Apps Analysis Presentation at Layout & DOM Work Week on March 27th
  • PTOs
    • Juan: March 27 - April 7 (2 weeks unplugged)
    • Tony: March 31
    • Jhammink: March 14

QA Team Updates

Desktop Firefox (Juan)

  • Fx.Next
    • Fx12b1 due to ship Thursday; Fx13a1, Friday.
    • Silent Update UAC Service is now in Beta -- no more UAC prompting!
    • Background Update is now in Aurora -- restarts should be fairly instantaneous!
  • Firefox ESR (ashughes)
    • 10.0.3esr shipped, 10.0.4esr planned to release parallel with Firefox 12
  • Firefox 3.6 (ashughes)
    • 3.6.28 is our last official 1.9.2 release unless something comes up in the next 6 weeks
  • Crash Investigation
  • Test Automation
    • Continuing to focus on test failures and refactoring for Mozmill-2.0

Apps Desktop and Mobile (DavidC)

  • What happened this week?
    • (dclarke)
      • Began testing mozilla-central implementation, and filing respective bugs.
      • Appsync setup on staging environment.
      • Bug Triage for extension vs m-c implementation.
  • What's next?
    • (dclarke)
      • Submit patch for mozmill tests to moz-central
      • Resolve / Verify associated bugs
    • (jsmith)
      • Continued analysis of gecko vs. webkit top apps and preparation for work week presentation for this
      • Continued definition of web apps integration into desktop test plan
      • Triage existing OWA extension bugs into mozilla central web apps integration into desktop feature

Browser Technologies (Tony)

  • Highlights
    • Fennec: Maple has merged into Nightly branch. Testers, please focus on tile caching, layout rendering, panning/ zooming, viewport issues, and crashes.
    • BrowserID: bug 732142 - 3/1 train, set to roll out today.
  • Fennec (Kevin/Aaron)
    • Maple (OMTC) landed. on m-c. Ongoing work/testing and verifications coming up to stabilize.
    • More Sync pieces landing (remote tabs, passwords)
    • 12.0b1 XUL
    • Stability (nhirata)
  • Sync (Tracy)
    • Verified client train around bug 732605
    • Testing around Android Tab sync
    • Will test around Form History and Password Sync on Android when they land. (possibly this week)
    • Porting Litmus testcases into Case Conductor .8 on stage this week.
  • Test pilot (tracy)
    • nothing for QA this week.
  • Sync Server (jbonacci/jrgm)
    • Work continues on Sync 2.0 API testing
    • Tracking/Planning continues for MetLog, BiPostal, TokenServer, Queuey, and AITC
  • BrowserID (jbonacci/jrgm)
    • Completed testing of Train 22: Bug 732142 - QA and deploy BrowserID train-2012.03.01 to production
    • The BID team decided to hold on this release since there were too many open/unresolved issues with work in progress.
    • Multi-datacenter support was successfully launched yesterday.
  • Pancake (nhirata)
    • Tested last week; UI need hooked in, testing is blocked by no UI for certain parts
    • UI changes are starting to go in fast; still trying to aim a release by end of Quarter
  • B2G (tchung)
    • A roadmap of milestones has been published
    • working toward testing a 2.5 milestone, 4/1
    • Tracking daily test results here

WebQA (Stephen)

  • Affiliates
  • AMO
    • Updated pytest
    • Focused on refactoring tests
  • Engagement Projects
    • Betafarm is in process, testing slated to begin 3/23
    • Just shipped another Firefox Flicks release
      • New front page, more locales, copy/style edits
    • BrowserQuest is going out 3/22
  • Flightdeck
  • Mozillians
    • 3/14 release at risk
  • MDN
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
    • A contributor has migrated test suite to use WebDriver. Thanks Leah -- will give her a shoutout in Monday's weekly meeting
    • On continuous deployment

Community (Marcia)

  • Events
    • MDN event tracker
    • MozCamp Latin America in planning phase.
    • Plan for other MozCamps as published on Mozilla Reps list:
      • Q2: LatAm
      • Q3: Europe
      • Q4: Asia
      • Late Q4: Africa + Middle East
      • No plans for a North American event at this time
  • Upcoming Testdays/BugDays/Meetups
    • Next week will be testing Silent Update UAC Service (Softvision driving)
  • Video Work
    • No updates this week
  • (Raymond):
  • Miscellaneous
    • Test instance of Basecamp has been set up. If you are interested in joining the trial please let Marcia know. We have a trial instance until 4/21/12.
      • Backstory on this is that there was a feeling that we needed a project management tool to track community initiatives.

QA Automation Service (Henrik, David)


Project updates

On-Demand Test Framework (Geo)
  • Jenkins update exposed node install issue on Win2K
  • Solving execution issues on other platforms
  • Expect to be functional after issues resolved
Mozmill 2.0 Automation Scripts Update (Henrik)
CI system for daily and l10n Firefox Builds (Henrik)
  • Test-runs have now a branch specific execution model (configurable via config settings)
  • Next: Create Jenkins nodes for all platforms and setup platform independent execution
Mozmill Dashboard Validation (DavidB)
  • Initial code is there. Have asked the team for feedback on which items that need validation.
MemChaser extension
  • A couple of pull requests are under review - targeting another release with a couple of new features until end of March
Open Positions (DavidB)
  • No update
Weekly Blog Posts
Case Conductor
  • Carl Meyer is in town today and tomorrow. Sitting where Al used to sit.
  • We are renaming the tool!
    • We have an internal branding effort going on
    • And we're going to open it up to the Community. I'm going to create a Survey Monkey survey to get feedback. I'll advertize it an next Monday's MoCo and on my blog:
    • I'll also rename the blog...
  • Still on track for 1.0 at EOQ
  • Planning 1.1 and beyond features in Pivotal Tracker
  • Will do a UX "over the shoulder" with Kevin B and Tony C today or tomorrow
  • Security and Privacy reviews are underway
  • Selenium tests now running in Jenkins

Roundtable/Discussion Items

  • Any update on the hiring plans for this year?
  • Covering releases on weekends
  • Writing manual testcases for Mozilla projects in a common style-guide (tony)
  • Someone owning the Facebook MozQA account? (tony)
    • Please include the account information here.
      • This was discussed via email. Marcia is admin and you will have to friend her on Facebook to be granted Admin on that page. She will not be posting for everyone in the QA team. That information has been added to the wiki.
  • was suspended a while back. That site was the main repository for much of the 1:1 information. Tony was able to get one day access to it but could not do anything with the over 200 pads, some of which were password protected.
    • Thoughts about that data and whether we should pursue further?
    • How are teams tracking 1:1 discussions now?
  • When will the QA reorg actually take place? (Henrik)

Notes, Takeaways and Action Items


  • Notes
    • At next meeting we should have thoughts about the topic of covering weekend releases
  • Action Items
    • tchung to follow up on mozqa sync pad issue and try to get it opened up for a month

Last Meeting

  • Action Items