From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

QA Staff Meeting Notes Sep-19-2012

Meeting Details

 # Every Weds @ 1:30p Pacific Time - Mozilla HQ, Warp Core 
 # Vidyo:
 # Phone:  +1 650 903 0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 9245 (US/INTL)
 #         +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 9245 (US Toll Free)
 #         +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 9245 (Canada)
 # IRC:    irc://

QA Org Items

  • New Hires & Interviews
    • Phone screened a Bugmaster candidate today
    • item
  • Upcoming Events/Conferences
    • item

Travel / PTO

  • mbrandt - 9/20 - 9/30 Cambridge, Massachusetts. MIT Job Fair and presentations [travel]
  • camd - 1/2 time today after tonsilectomy recovery. Transitioning to full-time as I can. Taking it day by day.
  • bmoss in Toronto all of next week
  • jrgm 9-27, 9-28 and work week 10-1 to 10-5

QA Team Updates

Desktop (Juan)

  • Firefox
    • New Flash version available to Windows users, please update and keep an eye out for issues
    • Beta (juanb)
      • Hotfix to OSX 10.5 users next week warning them of the impending de-support
    • Aurora (ashughes)
      • Click-to-Play plugin blocklisting support will be uplifted to Firefox 17 this week
      • Contact ashughes if you want to help with Aurora testing
  • ESR (ashughes)
    • 9 security fixes remain to be verified before October 8th
    • Contact ashughes if you want to help with ESR testing
  • Stability (marcia)
  • Automation (ashughes)
    • Contact ashughes if you want to help with Firefox Desktop test automation
  • Sync Client (Tracy)
  • Community
    • item

Mobile (Tony)

  • Issues
  • Fennec (Kevin/Aaron)
    • CM, affected across all channels
    • Concerned bugs from 16 Beta 3 testing:
      • bug 771774 crash with eglMakeCurrent failed (EGL error 3000) and abort message: "OpenGL-accelerated layers are a hard requirement on this platform [...]" on Vivante GPUs (e.g. in Rockchip rk29board and in imapx200 chipsets)
      • bug 778175 Startup crash on devices incompatible with OpenGL ES 2.0 (e.g. HTC Wildfire)
    • Added a few more Armv6 devices to QA inventory. See Armv6 test results page
    • Testday next friday, 9/28
    • Beta 4 testing this week
    • Compiling Fx17 features
    • Driving down regressionwindowwanted and similar bugs
    • creating a matrix of graphics chipsets and roms to test for h264 decoding
    • Stability (nhirata)
      • see stability report in Platform, Mobile and Channel meetings.
  • B2G (Geo/jhammink)
    • Estimates (jhammink)
      • Assembling T-Shirt Estimate of Gaia apps, based on Req health check - eventually we will get same metrics from Moztrap
      • Link here:
    • Testcase Porting(jhammink & team)
      • Porting several test areas to Moztrap; with help of team
      • plan is to have all P0 and P1 in moztrap by 9/28
    • Smoketest (jhammink)
      • minor changes being made to steps;
      • additional metrics (# of reboots) collected as part of a t-shirt type estimate of build stability
    • L10n (nhirata)
      • Stas Malolepszy is leading the l10n effort
      • String freeze/schedule :
        • Homescreen is an if, Settings moved to second bucket.
      • bugs should be listed in bugzilla as late-l10n and a similar label to be made in github.
      • There is a set deadline for l10n assuming no delays
      • main languages to be translated : pt-BR, es, en-US; any other is bonus (e.g. Italian, French, German should be ready but they're not P1).
      • For names of apps, even though that the manifest files hold the names... Properties file is separate from manifest files and when releng builds l10n builds, they will take the and they will put it inside the json in the manifest for the app, so it should just work. No need to worry about manifest for apps.
    • Stability (nhirata)
      • Need to get releng to take ownership of building, so symbol server can be populated
      • devices are not sending crash reports because devices cannot detect when the device is online
      • desktop builds are the only ones that can send reports, however mac builds are the only ones that have symbols currently
      • Gaia need for front end as well:
    • BIRT reports
      • feature point estimation and prioritization will occur next week with camd
      • Sec review for access to prod data concluded - bug 790756
    • API testing
      • Perms testing development continues with security assurance, working to finalize approach and figure out who's doing what for the rest of the effort.
      • API smoketest sprint uncovered lots of questions regarding dealing with access issues to the API, particularly surrounding permissions. Collecting list of blockers/issues to solve so we can start working through them. Putting together iteration one suite from the APIs we were able to access.
    • Other
      • Created a script to export from MozTrap to TEF's import template for JIRA.
      • IT is setting up an account & VPN access to Moztrap's production data - bug 786813
  • Apps (Jason)
    • Proof of concept testing of mozPay on device against mock payment provider
    • Ported lots of spreadsheet apps test cases to MozTrap
    • App type permissions testing
    • Android WebRT - continued testing support as needed (e.g. bug verifications)
  • Pancake (nhirata)
    • French Toast is being worked on.
  • Community Members Onboarding
    • item

Services (jrgm)

  • Sync Server: Sync Server
    • TokenServer work continues in Dev and Stage
      • Includes BID and ToS requirements for Production
    • AITC work continues in Dev and Stage
    • Sync 2.0 is on the back burner bubbling away
  • BrowserID: BrowserID
    • Persona Beta release deployed to production 2012-09-18
      • difficulties with database changes took some time to solve
      • short, unfortunate interruption of service
      • but otherwise the code deployment had no known problems
      • Bug 787708 - Deploy train-2012.08.17 to staging environment
      • Bug 787707 - Persona: Schema change: add column to user - lastPasswordReset TIMESTAMP DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL
  • Hiring and Training
    • Recruiters are phone screening; tchung phone screen this week

Web (Stephen)

  • Affiliates
    • 2012-09-20 release on-track for tomorrow
    • bug 760631 under Sec review: Allow affiliates to link back to a personal website - display website on leaderboard
  • Firefox Marketplace
  • MDN
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
    • SUMO new UI went out - the response has all been positive thus far!
    • Continuous Deployment; smooth sailing
  • Community Members Onboarding
    • updates are in the Community section

Community (Marcia)

  • Gear Store
    • Gear Store is supposed to be having a demo session tomorrow for all gear coordinators. Should know more after that session.
  • Projects
    • Italy workshop has been proposed for October 13-14, but I have not yet gotten commitments from any of the people who would need to present. Currently having the event on that date is at risk.
      • We have a venue that could accommodate ~70 people on the campus with good internet access
  • Tools
    • Open Hatch might be a good place to put our tasks
  • QA TaskBoard
    • Met yesterday, 9/18 - meeting notes
    • Next steps:
      • create a prototype/Mockup (mbrandt, stephend, rbillings, marcia) that can be used as a straw-man
      • find drivers for functional areas of QA to represent feature needs
      • explore existing options, can we use an existing system -- Ubuntu's "5 a day," taskrabbit, openhatch, etc
      • Explore writing a MozCamp proposal - M.C. a community hak/BoF session to create the app
        • This is predicated on having people interested in attending MozCamp Asia and giving the presentation
  • Upcoming Events
    • MozCamp Asia - November
    • Call for paid staff has not gone out yet
  • Video Work
  • (Raymond):
  • Community Members Onboarding
    • Next COMMUNITY Spotlight QMO post about Bob Silverberg: spotlight post
  • Syracuse Update [Adi_J]
    • First Presentation : Link

Automation Development (Henrik, Dave)


  • IT is working hard to get us the new ESX cluster for Mozmill-CI by end of this quarter!
  • David Burns is continuing Owens work with the Mozmill Dashboard and let test results go into a MySQL database
  • Rob Wood blogged about his attendance at MozCamp EU
  • Patches have landed for Marionette support for Fennec. There's more to land, but good progress.


  • TBD
MozTrap (Cameron)
  • TBD
Community Members Onboarding
  • Mentored by Henrik
    • Arky - L10n Mozmill Tests
    • Anas - L10n Mozmill Tests
    • mysyk - Mozmill and Mozmill Automation
    • abhishekp - Mozmill Tests
    • pranavrc - Mozmill Tests and Mozmill

Basecamp Roundtable/Discussion Items

  • [jsmith] Post Feature Freeze - The Move to Bugzilla from GitHub - see discussion

Other Roundtable/Discussion Items

  • Contact Us forum on the QA site, I am willing to make one and embed a mibbit chat to the page as its possible for wordpress [Satdav]
  • Move Agendas over to Etherpad the reason is because you don't need to refresh the site

for a example of a etherpad agenda [Satdav]

Notes, Takeaways and Action Items


  • Today's Notes:
    • satdav and stephen to work offline re: embedding Mibbit chat in QMO
    • bmoss to look into potentially posting goals on a public wiki
    • please update your Goals
    • Next week there will be no QA staff meeting
    • Next meeting we will try using an etherpad for the meeting agenda.
    • Leads/Anyone should think about their task workflows and get them to mbrandt

Last Meeting

  • Action Items