- 1 What is a disposable project branch?
- 2 Using a custom mozconfig
- 3 Enabling/Disabling of platforms, tests, nightly updates
- 4 BOOKING SCHEDULE
- 5 Indefinite booking
What is a disposable project branch?
These are project branches that can be cloned fresh from any mozilla-central based repo with the full gamut of tests enabled. No l10n or nightlies for now. Similar to TryServer but for longer, and just for you. Unlike Try, the commit level on these branches is level_2 (and above) contributors only so please bear that in mind.
Do you need a disposable branch?
Ask yourself the following:
Does your project have an end date?
If your answer is No then you should follow the process at Project Branch Planning
If your project is a temporary feature sprint that needs its own rapid test coverage but will eventually be merged into mozilla-central and no longer be on its own by all means, please go ahead and
Book one of our fabulous "disposable" project branches
NOTE: The number of disposable branches is limited by CI capacity. If there are no available branches, contact the owners of existing branches to see if you can "sub let".
- Sign up below in the BOOKING SCHEDULE
- Make a request (example: bug 1518167) to VCS to reset the repo for you. You can specify the source repository and target revision to use, or default to mozilla-central:tip. Ask that they run the `hgmo-reset-twig.yml` Ansible playbook found in version-control-tools to accomplish this.
- NOTE: Your repository will have no hooks enabled after a reset. You'll need to specify in the request if you need any configured.
- After Developer Services runs the reset, they will also notify the teams who operate the automation, so they can adjust their schedulers to recognize the reset. If you don't see the expected builds, check with the automation teams to ensure their reset occurred.
- Sit back and watch your builds and test results roll in (eg Birch, Cedar, Larch, Maple).
When you're done with one of our fabulous "disposable" project branches
Simply clear your data (bug, contact, dates) from the BOOKING SCHEDULE below. If someone is listed in the "Next in Line" column, please let them know you are done.
That's all there is to it!
Using a custom mozconfig
The mozconfigs used for builds live in the same source tree as the main code, eg
- Firefox: browser/config/mozconfigs/<platform>
- Mobile Native: mobile/android/config/mozconfigs/android
- Mobile XUL: mobile/xul/config/mozconfigs/android-xul
The 'nightly' file is used for optimised builds, 'debug' for debug. If you are unsure which file you need consult a build log to see which is used. You can adjust these as needed on your branch, and they will be carried over to mozilla-central when you merge back. Please take care with any mozconfig changes you merge back (eg exclude local conveniences).
Enabling/Disabling of platforms, tests, nightly updates
If the specific builds/tests you want are not enabled, or if there are builds/tests which you do not need on your branch, ask RelEng to enable/disable them by filing a bug here.
Nightly builds and updates are disabled by default but can be enabled on request.
|Project Branch||Regist. bug||email address of borrower||User/Dev Team contact||Booking Dates||Next in Line|
|Ash||bug firstname.lastname@example.org||aleca, darktrojan||2022-08-19 - 2023-08-31|
|Elm||bug 1728404 libwebrtc update 2H2020email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org||2021-07-31 - 2021-12-31|
|Cedar||bug email@example.com||:vp, Browser Architecture usage||2019-06-01 - 2019-08-01|
|Holly||bug firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com||<-||2019-12-02 - 2020-04-02||-|
|Larch||bug 1322426 socket process firstname.lastname@example.org||necko, :mayhemer||2018-08-20 - 2020-08-20||-|
|Oak||bug 1689520 and other risky updater email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com||nalexander, bytesized||2021-03-11 - 2021-12-31||-|
|Pine||bug firstname.lastname@example.org||Mossop||2021-02-08 - 2021-09-01||-|
Be sure to keep a copy of anything you need from the repo prior to unbooking it.
See also ReleaseEngineering/SpecialBranches for more info on these branches.
|Project Branch||Regist. bug||email address of borrower||User/Dev Team contact||Booking Dates|
|Date||disabled||disabled||disabled||DO NOT USE - https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseEngineering/DisposableProjectRepositories|
|Jamun||bug email@example.com||comm-central as a branch||2020-10-21 - ?|
|Birch||bug firstname.lastname@example.org||tc release promotion||2017-12-19 - indefinite|
|Maple||bug email@example.com||tc release promotion||2017-10-02 - indefinite|