What is a disposable project branch?
These are project branches that can be cloned fresh from any mozilla-central based repo with the full gamut of tests enabled. No l10n or nightlies for now. Similar to TryServer but for longer, and just for you. Unlike Try, the commit level on these branches is level_2 (and above) contributors only so please bear that in mind.
Do you need a disposable branch?
Ask yourself the following:
Does your project have an end date?
If your answer is No then you should follow the process at Project Branch Planning
If your project is a temporary feature sprint that needs its own rapid test coverage but will eventually be merged into mozilla-central and no longer be on its own by all means, please go ahead and
Book one of our fabulous "disposable" project branches
- Sign up below in the BOOKING SCHEDULE
- Make a request (example: bug 951811) to IT to reset the repo for you as a clone from your own project repo (or default mozilla-central:tip). Copy the script below into bug request, replacing the REPO_PATH and TWIG with your repo and booked branch.
export REPO_PATH=[path to your repo] # eg: users/lsblakk_mozilla.com/staging or comm-central export TWIG=[alder|birch|cedar|holly|larch|maple] # whichever twig you booked cd /repo/hg/scripts/ ./reset_pp_repo.sh -s /repo/hg/mozilla/$REPO_PATH -r tip -d $TWIG
- NOTE: Coordinate with IT when this repo gets reset to push immediately without hitting the webheads. Otherwise, the permissions won't be set correctly.
- NOTE: Your repository will have no hooks enabled after a reset. You'll need to specify in the request if you need any configured.
- Sit back and watch your builds and test results roll in (eg Alder, Birch, Cedar,Holly, Larch, Maple).
- Special note: the first push to your newly cloned repo may not trigger builds if the repo had been pushed to previously, which is bug 774862. If it does not, please re-open the bug and move it to mozilla.org :: Release Engineering with a comment 'Please reconfigure the build scheduler'.
- It will take 3 build runs for the leak checking tools to establish themselves. Before the third run expect to see the builds marked as burning. Other than the leak check the builds should compile and test fine.
When you're done with one of our fabulous "disposable" project branches
Simply clear your data (bug, contact, dates) from the BOOKING SCHEDULE below. If someone is listed in the "Next in Line" column, please let them know you are done.
That's all there is to it!
Using a custom mozconfig
The mozconfigs used for builds live in the same source tree as the main code, eg
- Firefox: browser/config/mozconfigs/<platform>
- Mobile Native: mobile/android/config/mozconfigs/android
- Mobile XUL: mobile/xul/config/mozconfigs/android-xul
The 'nightly' file is used for optimised builds, 'debug' for debug. If you are unsure which file you need consult a build log to see which is used. You can adjust these as needed on your branch, and they will be carried over to mozilla-central when you merge back. Please take care with any mozconfig changes you merge back (eg exclude local conveniences).
Enabling/Disabling of platforms, tests, nightly updates
If the specific builds/tests you want are not enabled, or if there are builds/tests which you do not need on your branch, ask RelEng to enable/disable them by filing a bug here.
Nightly builds and updates are disabled by default but can be enabled on request.
|Project Branch||Regist. bug||email address of borrower||User/Dev Team contact||Booking Dates||Next in Line|
|Alder||bug 929033 cc-rework: bug 648979||Pidgeot18@gmail.com (:jcranmer)||jcranmer: final steps for cc-rework||2013-10-21 - indefinite|
|Birch||Build firstname.lastname@example.org||glandium: Various build stuff||2013-10-09 - 2014-03-31||-|
|Dateemail@example.com||64 bit Windows builds testing||2013-06-25 - indefinite|
|Elm||bug firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com||b2g reftests on EC2||2014-02-10 - 2014-03-31||-|
|Fig||bug firstname.lastname@example.org||Mulet work||2014-02-10 - ???||-|
|Gum||Cache Workemail@example.com||DougT: Cache||2013-12-31|
|Holly||bug firstname.lastname@example.org||:jaws on IRC, Australis backout branch||2013-07-10 - indefinite (should be one or two Nightly trains)||-|
|Jamun||bug 701634, bug 961049, bug email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org||:bent, :janv, IndexedDB and QuotaManager on PBackground||2014-01-21 - unknown||-|
|Larch||Camera feature email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org||:mikeh, :djf (IRC #ffos_media)||until ~March 18, 2014||—|
|Maple||bug email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com||Generational GC||2014-02-04 - 2014-05-04||-|
|Oak||bug firstname.lastname@example.org||bbondy||2012-09-11 - 2014-06-01||-|
|Pine||bug email@example.com||:gwagner, debug B2G builds and unit tests||2013-10-21 - indefinite||-|
Be sure to keep a copy of anything you need from the repo prior to unbooking it.
See also ReleaseEngineering/SpecialBranches for more info on these branches.
|Project Branch||Regist. bug||email address of borrower||User/Dev Team contact||Booking Dates|
|Ashfirstname.lastname@example.org||Staging area for mozharness testing||2013-04-12 - indefinite|
|Cedaremail@example.com||new build/test testing for #ateam and #releng||2012-06-25 - indefinite|
|Cypressfirstname.lastname@example.org||armenzg: mozharness default branch testing||2013-12-13 - indefinite|