SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Action Items
- 1.2 Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- 1.3 Release Train
- 1.4 Extensions Compatibility Tracking
- 1.5 2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 1.6 Feature List, Planning
- 1.7 Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
- 1.8 Any other business?
- Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
- Tony Mechelynck for organising the bug event.
- Px and Mnyromyr for lots of bug triaging during the bug event.
- Callek and the Mozilla RelEng team for services above and beyond the call of duty in getting SeaMonkey builds working again.
- Please note A person or entity can't be nominated twice in a row.
(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- IanN to write the "Friends of the Fish Tank" F.A.Q.
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Callek said:
- "What Happened?"
- One XServe that hosts "Parallels" in Mozilla died, taking down with it all the data it housed. (There were two problems to appear here)
- "What VM's does that translate to?"
- Parallels can only reliably (for us anyway) run 7 total VM's; Which are: 1 "Linux32 CentOS5.0 Buildbot Master", 2 "Linux32 Centos5.0 Buildbot Slaves", 1 "Linux64 Centos5.0 Buildbot Slave", 3 "Win32 w2k3 Buildbot Slaves"
- "Don't you have refimages?"
- Sadly we don't have anything current. I had just updated both our masters software heavily and our Linux32 slaves.
- "What can I do to help?"
- Not sure there is too much build/releng related that you, in general can do. I suspect it will be more work in the end to get many of you into the loop after thinking about it. Primarily because it would mean me handholding a bit, getting you access to the machines with <secret-password> and meaning I'll want to verify that nothing is out of whack....
- "What does this mean for our Release"
- We missed one planned beta because of this, and at the rate things are going, we'll miss the next beta date too. We might likely be delaying the Gecko 8 ship date at that, I'm trying hard to make that not the case though.
- "Where do we stand with the machine right now?"
- Mozilla IT gave me rough ETA of Wednesday 26th before Host OS is installed setup, VM software is installed (parallels or maybe even VMWare Fusion, not sure), and we get the base image/OS's installed for the now-lost VM's. I'll start work on the buildmaster as _SOON_ as I get confirmation the system is ready.
- "Can you get help from other Mozilla Departments?"
- Maybe, I have sent a request to Mozilla Releng to see if they can spare a few machines, and give me access to them to do my release-work at the least. So I can have a beta/release out with relatively little delay. I don't really expect an answer until after their weekly meeting on Monday 24th, if even that early. Beyond that there really is no easy path to getting additional help.
- "When can I land my patches?"
- I'll make the confirmation now, that any patches slated to land on aurora/beta and any [simple] regression fixes, and any bustage fixes, can land with explicit approval. And all must have been tested locally. Where possible also test other OS's as well. If in doubt, ask yourself if the risk of it landing with no builds is worse than the trouble the bug causes. (since at this point, I'm unsure if any beta patches will be able to have coverage before my next/final beta build)
Current Situation (To be updated)
- Callek has a temporary buildbot master up and running and we have been able to get some builds out. Some nightlies are available from the 30th onwards.
- We still don't have all machines up (about half of the Linux and Windows machines and the Linux64 machine are still missing), but we have some coverage on the major platforms. Windows will just take longer than usual to build due to only having 2 of 5 machines up.
- Tree is still closed unless you have tested things up, down, and sideways.
- Callek says we can open the tree to METERED.
- What's METERED? Approval required and try to not get too many pushes in short order.
- Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).
- Patch updated. Awaiting review. Although it looks like Corey has taken over the bug from Callek.
- 2.5b3 shipped 14th October.
- Target date for 2.5 is around 8th November. (Note: This sounds unlikely given the tree closure. Update/new ETA needed.)
- We expect at least 1 more beta, perhaps two. The buildbot master being down (went down two weeks ago) may cause a delay and we will probably miss one beta. buildbot down is bug 695278). A brief chat with IT indicates it may require a colo-trip. Unfortunately only one person really knows how to administer the machine those VM's are on.
- Update: Callek is on the East Coast so he's probably been hit by storm related power cuts. We will need to discuss VM administration when Callek is back online.
Extensions Compatibility Tracking
- Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley, with help from some community members like DERoss.
- Recent changes can be found here.
- [InvisibleSmiley:] The External Sources part is still TODO, help appreciated.
- Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page)
- Lightning currently provides versions for the current stable release (AMO), Aurora and trunk (both FTP) and Beta (Calendar Versions page).
- The latest Firebug is now fully compatible but still not flagged as such on AMO (which seems to depend on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side, see Issue 4430)
- [InvisibleSmiley] Use Firebug 1.9 pre-releases for 2.4 and later (maybe even earlier SM versions; haven't checked)
- Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
- InvisibleSmiley still needs help updating and maintaining the FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it, so it stays current. mcsmurf says he'll help.
- KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.
- We need to get the Addon Compatibility page finished and better communicate how to keep Lightning and Enigmail updated since unfortunately the only versions provided on AMO are for the current stable release. People keep coming back reporting that e.g. Lightning stopped working on trunk, Aurora or Beta. But since it contains binary components, Lightning easily breaks if you don't retrieve the matching install file yourself.
- [InvisibleSmiley] AMO currently has a Lightning version compatible with SM Beta (1.0rc2)
We should also add some information on this to the release notes of future betas.
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
2.x Follow-ups and Issues
Moved to a separate page.
- The New 2.4 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.
- 2.4.x had ~80,800 ADU by last Thursday and 2.4.1 has had ~217,100 downloads so far.
- Of the released versions, as of last Thursday, we have 23.4% on 2.0, 1.2% on 2.1, 3.8% on 2.2, 6.4% on 2.3 and 65.1% on 2.4. So, in the last two weeks, ~6k (an additional 4.9% of ADU) have migrated to 2.4
- Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don't miss anything.
- Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.
- Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.
- Remember to help update the New 2.5 Features page as we go along.
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 36 new, 12 fixed, 102 triaged.
- Very good triage effort during the Seamonkey Halloween Bug Event.
- Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!
Major wanted/needed features:
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].
- Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.6 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
- IanN will need to poke some people about reviews not happening quickly enough.
- IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
- de-RDF bug 654864 has been finished and landed on all development branches, including 2.3. Still to do:
- bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
- kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (--disable-tests). Still a lot to do.
- IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
- Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.
Needing help, Unowned, Stalled
- bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
- SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
- bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
- bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
- kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That's something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
- bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 - Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
- bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
- bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
- A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.
- bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
- bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
- The rest is unowned so far.
- bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
- Note: Our location bar history doesn't and can't use autocomplete at all.
- bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
- bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
- Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 "Reply to List" [button/(context) menu item]
- bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)
Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
- bug 513900 - executable permissions for data files (port bug 461322 to SeaMonkey)
- bug 678979 - Remove README.txt from release packages
- Needs Review:
- Working On:
- bug 649952 - Port |Bug 609824 - Re-add Bloglines to the feed reader options| to SeaMonkey
- Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
- Bug triaging during bug event.
- Waiting for review on:
- bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
- Waiting for additional review on:
- bug 694027 Move Editor toolbar buttons from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
- Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
- bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 8.0 (comm-aurora)
- Working on:
- bug 695842 Move Editor startup/shutdown functions to editingOverlay
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
- bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
- bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
- File/Folder selection in windows.
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- bug 674208 Add a Properties context menu option to open the embedded properties pane in Bookmarks Manager
- bug 694144 Port syncAddDevice fixes from bug 690532 and bug 689428
- bug 696633 Port |Bug 678586 - Trigger a delayed sync after pairing a new device|
- reviewed bug 684537 Port bug 626949 |Sync UI: Style generic change dialogs like the setup and Add a Device wizards| to suite
- Working On:
- check in once tree reopens:
- bug 695523 Port |Bug 564560 - Sync dialogs should persist position|
- bug 693210 Add support for some keys to Advanced Search
- bug 696731 Properties context menu option in Bookmarks Manager does nothing when the embedded properties pane is already open
- bug 696598 Add default value for extensions.autoDisableScopes
- address post-landing comment on bug 674208 Add a Properties context menu option to open the embedded properties pane in Bookmarks Manager
- look into bug 698038 Update Preferences help for the new section to control crash report submission.
- bug 688953 Create/Update 2.5 Release Notes
- track bug 687316 (Remaining) Sync changes to port to Suite
- check in once tree reopens:
- Needs Coordination:
- Followed all the news on the main SeaMonkey VM host going down (bug 695278), helped Callek slightly with getting the SeaMonkey buildmaster up and running everything again after Mozilla IT got that one up (mainly did some debugging and fixing on clobberer).
- Also updated the community update server to current AUS2 trunk code so we can handle extended snippet data in the future.
- I did some more work on my themes and finally uploaded 2.4 versions of both EarlyBlue and LCARStrek which are awaiting reviews now.
- Put some more work into cleanups of my Mandelbrot add-on and implemented a "Back" function in the Location menu. With that, I uploaded it as the final 4.0 version, it's now waiting for reviews.
- I updated German L10n of DOM Inspector to current trunk, as well as dom/ and suite/ localizations on -central.
- As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps - both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.
Working on keeping Session Restore in sync with FF:
- bug 698267 Port bug 694378 [session restore fails when selectedWindow > number of windows]
- bug 698274 bug 665260 [Store start time in sessionstore data]
- bug 698276 Port bug 686065 [Don't clear nsSessionStartup::sessionType after the session startup phase finished]
- bug 698557 Port bug 665702 [expose session information in getBrowserState]
- bug 356742 [cocoa] Sheets are offscreen if opened when all windows closed
- bug 610509 Make fullscreen mode really fullscreen.
- Sidebar planning
Working on implementing Opera API for adding sidebars from websites (bug 697799).
- bug 696400 Close Places containers after use (Sync Suite with changes from bug 641531).
- bug 696542 Remove obsolete preference places.database.cache_to_memory_percentage (q.v. bug 674210).
- bug 697124 Update the Context menu video items.
- bug 697453 Allow setting report submission preference via XPCOM.
- bug 694786 Remove hard coded dependency on xpinstallItemGeneric.png from notification.xml
- Remove modern dependency on winstripe images, copy them into the comm-central tree instead.
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
- Fixed (or in-progress) MailNews Core bugs:
- bug 694371 [c-c] "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file:" : 4 "VC80" files
- bug 576402 Add small icons for Address Book toolbar to Classic theme.
- bug 489067 Allow inline background color in Message Compose.
- Organized and ran a very successful SeaMonkey Halloween Bug Event (like a testday) on #bugday on the 30th of October.
- Special thanks to Px and Mnyromyr for lots of bug triaging during the bug event.
- Finish publishing the bug event stats.
- Announce them on NG, Members' list, etc., once they're finished.
Any other business?
- Need to review project areas
- IanN has put out a final draft of the project areas list, and will then confirm that anyone who is not in the loop already has been consulted.
- Extended Support Releases (ESR)
- At the moment looks like that will be based off either Gecko 8 or 9 so potentially that will be either 2.5 or 2.6 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.5/2.6.
- Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability "extended" fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
- A ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer both what Gecko it will be based on, and what MoCo's general plans for their marketing/target/ support-levels etc are.
We can probably start working on this. Callek hasn't verified all the minutia there yet, but if someone wants to begin work, he can devote slightly more of his time to it.
- Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.
- The Halloween Bug Event happened at the end of last week.
- tonymec will be producing some stats from the event.
- Now available at SeaMonkey/Bug_events/20111027#Results.
- Who is going to MozCamp Europe 2011? (sgautherie, KaiRo, mcsmurf, Mnyromyr and stefanh)
- Anything planned w.r.t. SeaMonkey?
- Who is going to MozCamp Asia 2011? (Ratty).
- Nothing planned w.r.t. SeaMonkey, but Ratty might give a lightning talk.