From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


  • Who's taking minutes? -> RattyAgain
  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • "No Award".
    • Please note A person or entity can't be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.



  • IanN to write the "Friends of the Fish Tank" F.A.Q.


Release Train

  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).
    • Patch updated. Awaiting review. Although it looks like Corey has taken over the bug from Callek.
  • 2.5b3 shipped 14th October.
  • Target date for 2.5 is around 8th November.
  • We expect at least 1 more beta, perhaps two. The buildbot master being down (went down yesterday evening) may cause a delay or even make us miss one beta. buildbot down is bug 695278). A brief chat with IT indicates it may require a colo-trip. Unfortunately only one person really knows how to administer the machine those VM's are on.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley, with help from some community members like DERoss.
    • Recent changes can be found here.
    • [InvisibleSmiley:] The External Sources part is still TODO, help appreciated.
  • Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page)
  • Lightning currently provides versions for the current stable release (AMO), Aurora and trunk (both FTP) and Beta (Calendar Versions page).
  • The latest Firebug is now fully compatible but still not flagged as such on AMO (which seems to depend on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side, see Issue 4430)
    • [InvisibleSmiley] Use Firebug 1.9 pre-releases for 2.4 and later (maybe even earlier SM versions; haven't checked)
  • Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
  • InvisibleSmiley still needs help updating and maintaining the FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it, so it stays current. mcsmurf says he'll help.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.
  • We need to get the Addon Compatibility page finished and better communicate how to keep Lightning and Enigmail updated since unfortunately the only versions provided on AMO are for the current stable release. People keep coming back reporting that e.g. Lightning stopped working on trunk, Aurora or Beta. But since it contains binary components, Lightning easily breaks if you don't retrieve the matching install file yourself.
    • [InvisibleSmiley] AMO currently has a Lightning version compatible with SM Beta (1.0rc1)

We should also add some information on this to the release notes of future betas.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

2.x Follow-ups and Issues

Moved to a separate page.


open tracking (0) tracking requests (0) targeted (0) fixed (26)

  • The New 2.4 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.
  • 2.4.x had ~77,100 ADU yesterday and 2.4.1 has had ~136,100 downloads so far.
    • vs. 10,656 on 2.3, 4,986 on 2.2, 1,685 on 2.1 and 30,882 on 2.0. So, in the last two weeks, ~2.5k have migrated to 2.3 and above.


  • We need to make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when I go to do a release I can be sure I don't miss anything.
    • We also need to try harder to fix regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.
    • We have to be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.
  • Please help updating the New 2.5 Features page as we go.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 45 new, 21 fixed, 55 triaged.

  • Good triage effort!
  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags: 28 review 14 super-review 0 ui-review 8 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:


  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].
    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to (currently 2.6 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
    • IanN will need to poke some people about reviews not happening quickly enough.
    • IanN has done as much unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code as possible in the dependent bugs, so will be reworking his customising patches.
  • de-RDF bug 654864 has been finished and landed on all development branches, including 2.3. Still to do:
    • Neil wanted to follow up on some listener issues
    • for the selection issue, see what the TB guys come up with in bug 669203
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (--disable-tests). Still a lot to do.
    • IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
      • Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:
    • bug 657607 Port jminta's kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].
    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object. [serge]
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That's something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 - Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn't and can't use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 "Reply to List" [button/(context) menu item]
  • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)

Roundtable - Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).




  • Brought much of our seamonkey releng repo's to tip of default branch.
    • bug 694738 - Bring SeaMonkey releng code up to date with current default tips.
    • bug 668724 followup - bug 654152 broke the ability of all-locales to be read without specifying an path on web.
    • Turn on Pulse for SeaMonkey Build Network (c.f. bug 686802)
    • bug 693186 - should be able to represent WithProperties better.
  • Had a conversation with a rep from Google regarding Geolocation. (Details soon)
  • Investigated possibility to get access to metrics from Telemetry so we can implement that.
  • bug 694150 - Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.5 Beta 3
  • bug 692481 - Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.5 Beta 2
  • Got Jens Hatlak (InvisibleSmiley) accepted/inducted into the SeaMonkey Council, lost the ball on making the public/official announcement I intended to though.


  • Fixed:
    • bug 654966 - File > Save As > Templates should not be active for NNTP folders.
  • Needs Review:
  • Working On:
    • bug 78357 - Account wizard doesn't have place to enter port info
    • bug 670561 - show profile path in profile manager.
    • bug 675589 - Group all session restore menu items together.


  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
  • Fixed:
    • bug 691144 Open Containing Folder should preselect the file
    • bug 694164 Fold mailABOverlay.xul into addressbook.xul
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
  • Waiting for additional review on:
    • bug 680805 Share edit menus between Composer, Plain Text Editor and Messenger Compose
    • bug 688765 Move file menu from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
    • bug 690145 Move CharsetPopupMenu code from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
    • bug 694027 Move Editor toolbar buttons from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
  • Reviewed and waiting for other work before possible checkin:
    • bug 674942 Mailnews part of cookie code still gets built as MOZ_MAIL_NEWS is not configured correctly
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 8.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Working on:
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
    • Prefs-in-a-tab.


  • Fixed:
    • bug 694506 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.5 Beta 3 release
    • bug 674208 Add a Properties context menu option to open the embedded properties pane in Bookmarks Manager
    • bug 692765 Adapt Modern for restartless dictionaries support
    • bug 692392 Advanced Search misses all search fields
    • bug 693080 Change pref default to true
    • bug 665678 Open Add-ons Manager, Data Manager etc. according to Link Behavior preferences (i.e. in a window if the user chose so)
    • bug 692486 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.5 Beta 2 release


  • Finally, I also put up SeaMonkey update snippets for linux64 updates to 2.4.1 (bug 692655) - so everyone should get up to the latest release now. I've been asked if I could do that for betas as well but I find this too much work to do manually. If someone can script it, that would be a way, but then, we hope that soon we'll get the machine power to run tests and localized builds on linux64, and then we'll be able to provide official builds with updates right away in the normal process.
  • Updated German localization for SeaMonkey and core on Aurora as well as Nightly (except the actual "toolkit" parts for the latter) to match the original.
  • Also, addressed a number of German L10n bugs on "select add-ons" UI (bug 688080, review comments), translation of "corrupt" (bug 662763), and "beinhalten" being a suboptimal word (bug 686304).
  • More work on updating EarlyBlue and LCARStrek for 2.4 versions, there's a bit more stuff I need to check there still, though.
  • I also refactored my " Mandelbrot" add-on to fit in-tab UI a bit better as well as eliminating its XULRunner app version and making it be an add-on only. The new 4.0b3 version is up on AMO and waiting for reviews.
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps - both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.



Fixed bug 675493 Port [bug 655550 Persisted tab attribute gets lost after restart twice] and one relevant line from [bug 644998 Session should not be restorable after "Clear Recent History"].


Working on:

  • bug 356742 [cocoa] Sheets are offscreen if opened when all windows closed (attached to hiddenwindow).
  • bug 610509 Make fullscreen mode really fullscreen.





  • bug 690701 "Save Video As..." should respect the filename set in the Content-Disposition header.
  • bug 690706 Future-proof CrashSubmit against future argument additions.
  • bug 690778 Update nsFeedSniffer.cpp (Port part of bug 589292 Add contentDisposition{Filename} properties to nsIChannel).


  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.



  • Fixed MailNews Core bugs:
    • bug 690369 c-c port bug 557824 and bug 661403. (MOZ_INSTALLER)


Working on:

  • bug 576402 Add small icons for Address Book toolbar to Classic theme.


  • bug 489067 Allow inline background color in MailNews Compose Message.



  • Planning: Hallowe'en Bug Event, see below.
  • Fixed:
    • bug 694740 Port Firefox bug 687754 |unread attribute set at different times during page load| part 1.
      (against my best judgment, but I have it on Higher Authority that this was neededTonymec 05:09, 18 October 2011 (PDT))

Any other business?

  • InvisibleSmiley has been voted on to the SeaMonkey Council.
  • Need to review project areas
    • IanN will put out a final draft of the project areas list this week, and then confirm that anyone who is not in the loop already has been consulted.
  • Extended Support Releases (ESR)
    • At the moment looks like that will be based off either Gecko 8 or 9 so potentially that will be either 2.5 or 2.6 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.5/2.6.
    • Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability "extended" fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
    • A ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer both what Gecko it will be based on, and what MoCo's general plans for their marketing/target/ support-levels etc are.
  • We can probably start working on Geolocation. Callek hasn't verified all the minutia there yet, but if someone wants to begin work, he can devote slightly more of his time to it.
  • Another Nugzilla day.
    • Previously, IanN suggested that October would be a good time to have another bug day. The previous event, Operation Nugzilla was from May 18th to 20th (Wed to Fri).
    • Tonymec suggested the last week of October e.g. 26th to 31st or so.
    • Tonymec was to start a discussion in the sm-members list regarding the next bug day.
    • Tonymec sent two emails shortly before the meeting: one to reserve #bugday and another, a call for leaders from The Americas and Asia Pacific so we can distribute shifts in a reasonable way.
    • Tentative dates and times are 10am CEST (UTC+2) to midnight CET (UTC+1) Thu-Sun. We'll announce this officially once these have been finalized.