SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Action Items
- 1.2 Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- 1.3 Release Train
- 1.4 Extensions Compatibility Tracking
- 1.5 2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 1.6 Feature List, Planning
- 1.7 Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
- 1.8 Any other business?
- Who's taking minutes? -> IanN
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
- Ratty nominates Lewis G Rosenthal. He has been tweaking install.rdf files and since November 2011 he has been helping Ratty to contact the authors of these tweaked extensions and encouraging them to make their extensions officially compatible with SeaMonkey.
- Please note A person or entity can't be nominated twice in a row.
(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- IanN to write the "Friends of the Fish Tank" F.A.Q.
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- Current Issues with existing machines:
- There are problems with some hosts on parallels, current plan is to build the Parallels VMs on ESX instead once scl3 has network and power to the new ESX cluster.
- One win VM, switched from FAT32 to NTFS for one of its drives, need to recreate folders appropriately.
- "Where do we stand with the machine(s) right now?"
- bug 721516 migrate seamonkey systems out of sjc1/scl2 and into scl3/scl1.
- (2012-02-07) "Currently the 13 HP's have been moved to SCL3, and the 4 mac minis in sonnet chassis are at SCL2 and will be moved to SCL3."
- the 4 iX boxes are racked and powered at SJC1 on floor 14 rack 102.05, one of these is having hardware issues, an iX technician will be servicing.
- + 4 blocking bugs.
- bug 721516 migrate seamonkey systems out of sjc1/scl2 and into scl3/scl1.
- 2.8b2 was shipped on February 9.
- 2.7.1 was shipped on February 10.
- 2.7.2 was shipped on February 17.
- 2.8b3 was shipped on February 18.
Extensions Compatibility Tracking
We need some help with the add-ons listed under the "2.0x" heading. Anything above it will work out of the box with SM 2.7 and later (yay to compatible-by-default!). Perhaps Ratty can go through his xSidebar site and check which add-ons are not compatible with at least SM 2.1 - that would help, too.
- Since xSidebar itself is not compatible with any recent SM version, it should not be listed as a featured add-on on AMO. Who can make that change?
- KaiRo said he did, but it's still featured for at least en-US and de locales.
- If anyone wants to suggest add-ons to be featured, send them to InvisibleSmiley (in manageable doses that is).
- Addon Compatibility Listings, mostly maintained by InvisibleSmiley
- Recent changes can be found here.
- Restructured for compatible-by-default.
- Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page). The current release is compatible with both 2.6 and 2.7.
- Lightning provides versions for the current stable and beta releases (AMO) and nightlies for trunk and Aurora (Calendar Versions page). Lightning 1.3b1 which works with SM 2.8bX is available from AMO (Development Channel).
- Firebug is compatible but not flagged as such on AMO (depends on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side: bug 680837, needs a Python coder). Stable Firebug version 1.9.x works with any recent SM version. FB 1.10a1 works with trunk, 1.10a2 and 1.10a3 are broken but next alpha should be OK again.
- Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
- The SeaMonkey Features page links to sub-pages for all recent SM versions, including those in development. Please help InvisibleSmiley add major features to the respective pages, ideally as they land. These pages are used when creating release notes, so the more up-to-date the better.
- bug 666303 (Seamonkey 2.1 is detected as Firefox 2.1 on the Add-on Site) and bug 671085 Confusing compatibility error when visiting Firefox listing page using SeaMonkey)
- We don't have a dedicated person here who understands how AMO really works, who to contact in order to actually get things moving etc. Unfortunately. Someone needs to sit down and find the offending logic, wherever it may be (probably in the AMO source, at github).
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 2.7 had ~76,900 ADU by last Thursday and 2.7.1 has had ~25,700 and 2.7.2 has had ~9,400 downloads so far.
- Of the released versions, as of last Thursday, we have 16.8% on 2.0, 6.3% on 2.1-2.3, 4.9% on 2.4, 4.5% on 2.5, 11.0% on 2.6 and 56.5% on 2.7. So, in the last two weeks, ~2.8k (an additional 2.1% of ADU) have migrated to 2.6 or above.
- Still a large, but slowly decreasing, chunk of users on 2.0.x.
- Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions.
- Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.)
- Perhaps putting resources into getting certain extensions working with SM 2.4 and above (those that won't work with SM 2.7 automatically due to compatible-by-default extensions).
- Still need volunteers to look at what is keeping people at below 2.4. IanN could try knocking something up and send it round members lists for polishing but he's not on all the channels (mozillazine, etc) to post it to when finished.
- Are some Linux distributions are still stuck on 2.0? We have data on OSes and OS versions in the raw data in the Mozilla metrics, AFAIK, Callek now also has access to that.
- Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don't miss anything.
- Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.
- Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.
- One tracked 2.5 issue still open.
- 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14 and the ka l10n maintainers have not yet updated for changes in later SeaMonkey versions.
- Callek now needs to morph bug 667147 into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales). Callek will look at best locale to transition any ka users to.
- Plan is to migrate ka users to en-US with a english dialog saying they are out of date, and a link to the all-locales page if there is a language they understand better. Current ADU of ka alone is 3-5 individuals, so low impact.~Callek
- The New 2.7 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.
- InvisibleSmiley created a restartless add-on (available on AMO) for SM 2.8 (now in Beta) which adds an "Add-ons" options to the list of engines on the Sync pref panel.
- Remember to help update the New Features pages as we go along.
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 57 new, 37 fixed, 14 triaged.
- Good triaging effort.
- Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!
Major wanted/needed features:
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].
- Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.10 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
- IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
- bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
- kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (--disable-tests). Still a lot to do.
- The standalone Composer patch has to be rebased and fixed for MacOSX.
- Kaze is considering moving Kompozer to an addon so that we can reuse the dialog boxes but start fresh for the content part. Also we can then use the current devtools. KaiRo told kaze in Berlin it seemed a good idea, as it could allow to run a Composer *tab* instead of a Composer window.
- Kaze working on it on his spare time, with an Indian contributor.
- IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
- Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.
- Real full-screen (bug 610509) and DOM full-screen (bug 701714)
- patches provided by Mnyromyr and InvisibleSmiley. Otherwise stalled. :-(
Needing help, Unowned, Stalled
- bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
- SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
- bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
- bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
- kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That's something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
- bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 - Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
- bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
- bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
- A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.
- bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
- bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.
- The rest is unowned so far.
- bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
- Note: Our location bar history doesn't and can't use autocomplete at all.
- bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
- bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
- Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 "Reply to List" [button/(context) menu item]
- bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)
Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
- (Part Of, MoCo Releng) bug 719260 Investigate why updates builder triggered twice for 10.0b5.
- bug 722262 Port |bug 552864 Throw away wrapper shell script on unix and lazily load libxul| to SeaMonkey.
- (Also Fixes) bug 704835 Use a pre-generated nsXREAppData struct instead of application.ini. [SeaMonkey Part]
- bug 724480 Update function on nightly non-functional since version bump to 2.10a1.
- bug 724791 Bring GenerateCCBranchObjects up to date.
- (MoCo Releng) bug 687179 tagging should use one tagging operation per tagged revision.
- bug 722448 Close PasswordAuth ssh access on cn-sea-qm-centos5-01.nl.mozilla.org.
- bug 725557 (SM2.7.1) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7.1.
- bug 726290 Builder Steps in dump_master.py should have sorted keys (use pretty print) .
- bug 669722 update-verify-bump.pl incorrectly removes the previous release when oldVersion=5.0.
- bug 631864 Investigate why [or fix] mac repacks being uploaded to mac64/ rather than mac/.
- bug 726486 add Ukrainian to builds.
- bug 560772 Make use of mozilla::services for comm-central.
- bug 726797 Multi-GPU Detection Broken on Windows Gecko 11. Still needs to land on branches.
- bug 727258 Suite Depend Locales broken after bug 722262.
- bug 727799 (SM2.7.2) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7.2.
- bug 727806 (SM2.8b3) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.8b3.
- bug 694371 [c-c] "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file:" : 4 "VC80" files. (WIN32_REDIST_DIR is needed again.)
Lots Of Reviews
- (Filed/drove) bug 726869 Please create Approval-? message for SeaMonkey approval-comm-*
Lots Of Triage
- (MoCo Releng) bug 607392 split tagging into en-US and other
- bug 728597 Merge SeaMonkey build-tools back to official build-tools repo.
- bug 728930 Move Mozconfigs into Source Tree.
- bug 607776 force_release_l10n.py: Make the default for shipped-locales work for non-browser apps.
- bug 723638 Mercurial 2.1 returns 1 if nothing was pulled, in which case client.py doesn't succeed.
- (Port Of) bug 726978 Remove useless NS_New(Native)LocalFile calls in nsBrowserApp.cpp.
- bug 726565 sea-win32-02 [iX] failed to come up properly after a reboot.
- bug 593159 Remove version.nsh dependency from installer code.
- bug 494421 Use Google as network geolocation provider.
- bug 717493 - Port |Bug 717491 - "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/components/proxyObject.xpt (package-manifest, 151)."| to SeaMonkey
- bug 723839 - Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.8 Beta 1
- bug 724490 - Comment out the -jN lines in the .mozconfigs for each branch
- Needs Review:
- Working On:
- bug 722767 - Change buildbot configs to upload symbols to symbols1.dmz.phx1.mozilla.com
- Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
- Waiting for review on:
- bug 491843 IPv6 address literal is not usable as server name
- bug 725093 Update en-GB for Gecko 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)
- bug 725109 Update en-GB for Firefox 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)
- bug 725111 Update en-GB for Editor 12 (comm-aurora)
- bug 725121 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 12.0 (comm-aurora)
- bug 725179 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9
- bug 725187 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9 Help
- bug 725363 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.4
- bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
- Waiting for dependent bug to be checked in:
- bug 720661 Display account central when no default account / no accounts setup
- Waiting for additional review on:
- Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
- bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
- Working on:
- Final version of proposed changes to Project Areas.
- Various SM Council documents.
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
- bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
- bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
- File/Folder selection in windows.
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
- Knock something up finding out why users are not upgrading to 2.4+ and send it around members lists for polishing.
- Help get composer standalone builds working with --enable-tests.
- bug 728431 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.8 Beta 3
- bug 728300 Update mirrorred flags
- bug 727887 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7.2 Oilspill release
- bug 726187 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7.1 Oilspill release
- bug 725679 suite/common/tests/browser/browser_346337.js | Test timed out
- bug 725487 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.8 Beta 2
- bug 722405 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.7 Final release
- bug 712699 Create/Update 2.7 Release Notes
- bug 720735 Sync certain global mailnews.* preferences
- bug 727929 test_idcheck.xul > preferences.xul: doubled 'languageBundle' and 'regionBundle'
- bug 701714 Add support for DOM full-screen
- bug 640420 Add draggable splitter between urlbar and searchbar
- bug 711334 Be explicit that TLS version is 1.0
- look into
- bug 687316 (Remaining) Sync changes to port to Suite
- Fixed metrics pages to correctly list new versions and simplified code for it.
- Fixed the build system porting tracker to work with the new Mercurial deployed on Mozilla servers.
- Reviewed SeaMonkey binary restructuring (bug 722262).
- I worked on getting my themes up to date for the current SeaMonkey and Firefox releases, currently testing them.
- As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps - both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.
Checkin-needed: bug 593159 Remove version.nsh dependency from installer code.
- Needs approval for comm-aurora and comm-beta.
Working on bug 127399 Allow sending emails with IDN based email addresses [has review+].
- bug 631208 bug 553937 regressed bug 121583 (was fixed a year ago!).
- bug 728096 [SeaMonkey] TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | chrome://mochitests/content/browser/docshell/test/navigation/browser_bug343515.js | Tab N should be inactive.
- bug 71008 [RFE] Account Wizard should allow setting of different SMTP server.
- bug 728478 Consolidate about redirectors.
Page Info Fixes:
- bug 76170 Add column sort for page info.
- bug 721327 Implement Tabs Toolbar for Thunderbird and Lightning Compatibility.
- bug 723970 Backout bug 698187 due to mozilla-central back out of parts of bug 698986 to resolve bug 716945.
ToDo: Come up with a reliable STR to test:
- bug 701432 Add support for fave icons on jump list uri entries.
Addon Compatibility: I've been working with a SeaMonkey volunteer, Lewis G Rosenthal, to contact Firefox/Thunderbird extension authors and get them to update their extensions for SeaMonkey.
- Paul Kolomiets, the author of Flexible Identity has added SeaMonkey compatibility to version 0.5.6 (Added to wiki last meeting).
- I've made some minor changes to Select Address Book Text to get it working in SeaMonkey. Lewis will forward my changes to the author, Craig Markwardt.
- Lewis tweaked the install.rdf for PrintingTools Thunderbird extension and tested under SeaMonkey 2.6. It seems to be fully functional, including printing from the address book. Email has been sent to the author requesting that he add SeaMonkey to the official install.rdf.
- I've also received fixes to UrlParams and Quote Colors from InvisibleSmiley and uploaded these changes to my xSidebar modified extensions page.
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
- Completed update of changes to browser/installer/package-manifest.in.
- Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey (related) bugs:
- bug 451871 Remove |MOZILLA_INTERNAL_API| from /suite/
- bug 724446 Cleanup leftover listener from browser_page_style_menu.js, in SeaMonkey
- bug 725132 Package jsinspector.xpt in SeaMonkey
- bug 725529 Fix 4 "leaked window property" in SeaMonkey
- bug 725543 Port |Bug 680550 - Handle removeAllPages more sanely in tests| to SeaMonkey
- bug 725549 Port |Bug 663763 - Provide helper function for opening the library in tests| to SeaMonkey
- bug 726491 Port |Bug 663630 - Remove unused places UI perf tests| to SeaMonkey
- bug 726505 Port |Bug 507784 - Some session restore tests don't correctly remove event listeners| to SeaMonkey
- bug 726530 [SeaMonkey] "TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | .../browser_493467.js | Saved state of allowWindowControl"
- bug 727704 Package the wakeupservice in SeaMonkey
- bug 726521 Port |Bug 658738 - [meta] We seem to be leaking hundreds of windows until shutdown during browser-chrome tests| to SeaMonkey
- Fixed MailNews Core bugs:
- bug 227633 Replace 0x0a by nsCRT::LF, 0x0d by nsCRT::CR
- Fixed (or in-progress) Core bugs:
- bug 285374 sync xpfe colorpicker.xml with toolkit colorpicker.xml
- bug 718020 test_bug583889.html: "Error: uncaught exception: [object StopIteration]"
- bug 721065 pyxpt: Report Typelib name(s) when IIDs/names differ
- bug 725045 Fix a documentation error in specialpowersAPI.js: pushPrefEnv() param is "clear" not "remove"
- bug 725349 Fix a few tests that miss a space before reporting expected value
- bug 725942 mochitest-browser-chrome: browser-test.js should ignore empty console messages
- bug 728541 [SeaMonkey] "TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | chrome://mochitests/content/browser/layout/xul/test/browser_bug706743.js | an unexpected uncaught JS exception reported through window.onerror - [...] browser_bug703210.js:50"
- bug 728628 browser_viewsourceprefs.js should not use 'about:robots' which is Firefox specific
- bug 718237 [SeaMonkey] "accessible/events/test_focus_autocomplete.xul | Test timed out." (which also causes lots of "gA11yEventListeners is undefined" on following tests)
- bug 728538 [SeaMonkey] "TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | chrome://mochitests/content/browser/dom/tests/browser/browser_ConsoleStorageAPITests.js | 0 events found, tab close is clearing the cache"
- Fixed other projects bugs:
- [Firefox] bug 718324 [Linux, QT] "Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/chrome/icons/default/default16.png (package-manifest, 315)." (+ 2 more)
- bug 721529 [Mac default] Reference to non-existing chrome://global/skin/tree/item.png in searchbar.css and directory.css.
- New and ongoing:
- QA (for SeaMonkey and SeaMonkey-related code, now a QA peer for SeaMonkey)
- Nightly Tester Tools (stepped down, al-hamdullah, as caretaker; whimboo will, IIUC, be team leader; harth and I, and hopefully some others, stay around)
Any other business?
- Need to review project areas
- IanN has put out a final version of the project areas list, and will hopefully be updating the wiki this weekend.
- We will also need to update the Mozilla-wide list of official reviewers
- Extended Support Releases (ESR)
- At the moment looks like that will be based off Gecko 10 so that will be 2.7 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.7. We're unlikely to move to ESR until Gecko 10.0.1 or 10.0.2.
- Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability "extended" fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
- An ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer what MoCo's general plans for their marketing/target/support levels etc. are.
- mcsmurf is on the ESR mailing list is our ESR goto guy.
- Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.
- For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we're not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.