SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- Time: 29 May, 2012, 12:00 UTC
- (8am Eastern, 1pm UK, 2pm Central Europe, 8pm Hong Kong)
- Location: #seamonkey IRC channel
- Further Read: Basics
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Action Items
- 1.2 Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- 1.3 Release Train
- 1.4 Extensions Compatibility Tracking
- 1.5 2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 1.6 Feature List, Planning
- 1.7 Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
- 1.8 Any other business?
- Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- IanN to arrange with Jeff to send a tee-shirt or something to Serge (FotFT).
- Still haven't managed to get hold of Serge yet.
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- All our machines are now all out of SJC1 are are now at SCL3 or SCL1 (bug 721516).
- ewong and Callek are working on building on MSVC2010.
- bug 755626 tracks the progress of changing sea-win32-02 to using MSVC2010.
- cb-seamonkey-linux-01 is down yet again (bug 757343).
- Dustin says "I ran mkfs.ext3 on /dev/hdc1, so with luck this should not continue to fail this way. This is a journalled filesystem, but I suspect that parallels is doing some write re-ordering that's causing the journal to be inconsistent on reboot."
- L10n Update: (2012-05-20): l10n buildbots are building again on all three platforms for be, de, en-GB, es-AR, gl, hu, it, lt, nl, ru, sk, uk, zh-CN and zh-TW. Still nothing since end of April for cs, es-ES, fr, nb-NO, pl, pt-PT and sv-SE.
- 2.10b2 shipped May 23
- Note: Migration day will be Monday June 4th, not release-day Tuesday June 5th.
Extensions Compatibility Tracking
- See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
- Addon Compatibility Listings
- [Ratty] Lewis G Rosenthal has been sending me modded Firefox and Thunderbird extensions. As they come in I have been listing them on my xSidebar pages as well as here. Lewis has also been helping out by reaching out to extension authors and encouraging them to add SeaMonkey compatibility to their extensions.
- DOM Inspector Release Schedule (crussell)
- bug 746784 Predictable release schedule for development and localization.
- The last six weeks of a release cycle are for localizers no string changes will occur then. Localization happens on a branch (DOMI_2_0_12 right now) and concurrent development happens on default. Right now, DOM Inspector is set to ship with: de, el, en-GB, en-US, fr, ru, sk, sv-SE.
- Serge has filed some bugs so that the relevant changes to pull the right branch are in place. See bug 732749 (client.py: review SeaMonkey policy about which extension revisions are packaged).
- So in theory we could work out the correct branch from the Gecko version of the repositories we're building in. To get on the right branch:
hg clone http://hg.mozilla.org/dom-inspector cd ./dom-inspector hg update DOMI_2_0_12
- Our build team (Serge, Callek, ewong) needs to automate this rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. IanN to file a bug on this.
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 2.9 had ~83,500 ADU by last Tuesday and 2.9.1 had ~99,200 downloads so far (2.8 reached ~204,900 downloads).
- Of the released versions, as of last Tuesday, we have 13.7% on 2.0, 5.2% on 2.1-2.3, 9.3% on 2.4-2.6, 4.1% on 2.7, 9.6% on 2.8 and 58.2% on 2.9. So, in the last two weeks there has not been any real movement.
- Still a large, but slowly decreasing, chunk of users on 2.0.x.
- Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions.
- Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.)
- Perhaps putting resources into getting certain extensions working with SM 2.4 and above (those that won't work with SM 2.7 automatically due to compatible-by-default extensions).
- Still need volunteers to look at what is keeping people at below 2.4. IanN could try knocking something up and send it round members lists for polishing but he's not on all the channels (mozillazine, etc) to post it to when finished.
- Are some Linux distributions are still stuck on 2.0? We have data on OSes and OS versions in the raw data in the Mozilla metrics.
- metrics.mozilla.org now provides us a breakdown of versions against OS.
- There seems to be a very small number of 2.0.x users on OSes not supported by later versions. We even have some users on windows 7 using 2.0x! Fortunately Windows 8 users are at least using 2.7.
- Darwin 9.8 is last version with PPC support, so those people may be stuck on old versions because of that.
- SeaMonkey 2.6.1 for PowerPC/G4 on Mac OS 10.5.x is available. IanN says we should advertise that more (and other contributed builds).
- The current plan is to create a new page for latest builds available for "Legacy Platforms" e.g. PPC containing links to 2.6.1 PowerPC/G4 and also perhaps to TenFourFox and TenFourBird. We can then link to that from our main release page. See bug 759315.
- Ian has done some working on comparing profile of 2.0.x users against 2.9 ones.
- Split between OS for 2.9 is Windows 92.82%, Linux 2.53%, MacOS 4.65% and for 2.0.x is Windows 85.37%, Linux 5.55%, MacOS 9.08%.
- For those using 2.0.x on MacOS about 39% are on OSX 10.4 or above, whereas for 2.9 it is about 82%.
- For those using 2.0.x on Linux about 98% are on Kernel 2.6, whereas for 2.9 it is about 69% (31% on 3.0 or above).
- For those using 2.0.x on Windows about 37% are on Vista/7/2008, a further 62% are on XP/2003, whereas for 2.9 it is about 50% on Vista/7/2008 and 49% on XP/2003.
- See Basics page for the usual reminders.
- One tracked 2.5 issue still open.
- 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka (Kartvelian aka Georgian) locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14 and the ka l10n maintainers have not yet updated for changes in later SeaMonkey versions.
- Callek now needs to morph bug 667147 into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales). Callek will look at best locale to transition any ka users to.
- Plan is to migrate ka users to en-US with a english dialog saying they are out of date, and a link to the all-locales page if there is a language they understand better. Current ADU of ka alone is 3-5 individuals, so low impact.~Callek
- Callek and ewong were working on this but they didn't manage to get this done by the time 2.9 shipped. No new ETA unfortunately.
- One regression issue noted for 2.8: bug 735946 Browser is not not focused when opening links from external applications. Fixed on 2.9+.
- Asynchronous load-on-demand livemarks (bug 730837). If we want this for SeaMonkey 2.10 we should land this before the next beta is cut.
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 43 new, 18 fixed, 6 triaged.
- Low triaging effort...
- See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.
Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
Good First Bugs:
- Javi Rueda fixed bug 207643 Unnecessary focus() calls in ComposerCommands.js.
- Newcommer Bryant Rojas fixed bug 726415 Ctrl-T / New Tab since SeaMonkey v2.7 duplicates last fetched page instead of currently viewed page/tab.
- I forgot to mention in a previous meeting that Pranav Ravichandran fixed bug 735986 Remove spellCheckAddToDictionary.label/accesskey from DTD file.
Thanks Javi, Bryant, and Pranav!
- bug 640464 Develop a way for tests in mozilla-central to be overridden in a suite build.
- bug 741082 [sea-win32-02] "create aus previous upload dir failed".
- bug 746208 Investigate continuing TBPL service for SeaMonkey.
- bug 748244 ADU breakdown by language.
- bug 756958 cn-sea-2k3 is failing at Make Upload.
- Migrate the SeaMonkey Projects blog from Mozillazine to Mozilla Hosted.
- bug 408834 - Page Info violates XUL box model.
- bug 620997 - Open "Links" URLs in browser.
- bug 715410 - Port |Bug 352037 - Undo Add To Dictionary| to SeaMonkey
- bug 741084 - [SeaMonkey, OSX 10.5] "[testharnessreport.js] Error 1" due to "ImportError: No module named simplejson"
- bug 752797 - Build ID absent from about: page
- Waiting for a Release build to see if this works:
- bug 745847 - "No branch_id for a branch_name 'SeaMonkey-Release' can be found.
- Working On:
- Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
- bug 749986 Add en-GB localisation for ChatZilla
- bug 749990 Add en-GB localisation for Venkman
- bug 755458 Fix SeaMonkey download manager tests after removal of mozIStorageStatementWrapper
- bug 756821 Port |bug 305089: Don't mark as scam any mail composed by user (Drafts, Templates, Sent, Outbox folders)| and non-IPv6 parts of |bug 362434: Add IPv6 support to phishingDetector.js|
- Checked in with rs but waiting for review:
- bug 725093 Update en-GB for Gecko 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)
- bug 725109 Update en-GB for Firefox 12.0 (mozilla-aurora)
- bug 725111 Update en-GB for Editor 12 (comm-aurora)
- bug 725121 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 12.0 (comm-aurora)
- bug 725179 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9
- bug 725187 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.9 Help
- bug 725363 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.4
- bug 747345 Update en-GB for Gecko 13
- bug 747358 Update en-GB for Firefox 13
- bug 747360 Update en-GB for Editor 13
- bug 749952 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 13
- bug 749955 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.10 (2 patches)
- bug 749959 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.5
- Waiting on other bugs before checkin:
- bug 756784 Make file menu popup more consistent and easier to overlay
- Waiting for review on:
- bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js
- bug 601091 Port FillInHTMLTooltip changes from Firefox (e.g. HTML5 form validation)
- bug 756787 Match ID for overlay of viewSource
- bug 755059 Update en-GB for Gecko 14
- bug 755838 Update en-GB for Firefox 14
- bug 755840 Update en-GB for Editor 14
- bug 755867 Update en-GB for Thunderbird 14
- bug 755900 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.11
- Waiting for additional review on:
- Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
- bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
- Working on:
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
- Knock something up finding out why users are not upgrading to 2.4+ and send it around members lists for polishing.
- Help get composer standalone builds working with --enable-tests.
- bug 721474 Port |bug 575830 Image zoom (Page zoom) is reset when I switch tabs| to SeaMonkey.
- bug 732027 Port |bug 575955 Replace internal usage of old transactions shim, add a new toolkit test| to SeaMonkey.
- bug 738228 Option to display used font faces [DOMi].
- bug 707305 Re-enable building with --enable-incomplete-external-linkage.
- bug 730837 Port |bug 613588 (livemarksIO) Replace livemarks with asynchronous load-on-demand livemarks (was: Livemarks cause synchronous I/O during txul)| to SeaMonkey.
- bug 746166 Remove use of cmd_backgroundColor from comm-central.
- bug 757330 [SeaMonkey, Windows] "a11y/accessible/events/test_focus_general.html | Test timed out.", since 2012.05."09+-17".
- bug 757368 moving the caret with arrow keys don't work any more in editor if a floating panel contains a focusable element.
- bug 751081 Fix typo from bug 595810 (chrome://global/skin/icons/question64.png should be chrome://global/skin/icons/question-64.png instead) [Branches only patch from bug 694786]
- bug 751922 Asynchronously add favicons to back/forward and history menus.
- bug 758677 Implement a Preference Pane for Offline Applications.
Waiting for review:
- bug 663343 The "List all Tabs" menu should visually identify which tabs are on-screen (rather than scrolled off) [Needs Mac UI review].
- bug 756800 Fix some tabbrowser.css styles that interfers with the Webconsole.
- Port Thunderbird bug 360800 MDN confirmation dialog does not say which addresses the receipt will be sent to (can be multiple).
- Spelling Preferences: Parse spellchecker dictionary names as BCP 47 language tags.
- Did some reviews and coding mentoring.
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
- Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey (related) bugs:
- bug 754405 Drag&Drop doesn't work with Tabs->Bookmarks and other things
- bug 756499 Port |Bug 754141 - nsGlobalWindow should know in which web app it is running| to SeaMonkey
- bug 730752 Replace all old synchronous favicons calls in Suite with Asynchronous Favicons API
- bug 747668 Port |Bug 495277 - autocomplete.xml should not use new Function()| to SeaMonkey
- bug 752548 Use capturing phase for notification.xml handlers
- bug 753765 SeaMonkey browser_popupNotification.js: investigate "the logic taken from bug 575957 fails to work here, work around it for now."
- Fixed (or in-progress) Core bugs:
- bug 632408 [SeaMonkey, Windows] mochitest-chrome: permanent "test_leaf_layers_partition_browser_window.xul | Leaf layers should form a non-overlapping partition of the browser window" failure, since landing
Any other business?
- Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.
- For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we're not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.
- No news to date. Callek will have to reach out to his MoCo legal contact again soonish.
- Test failures
- qawanted, especially on Linux and MacOSX specific issues: reproducing and reporting would already help.
- Serge says that on Linux and MacOSX, he just needs someone to actually run the tests and report what they see (screen, console, etc). For example, there is a Mac test about Ctrl+W not working. This should be so trivial.
- tonymec suggests that any enthusiastic user, even non-technical, should be able to do some testing (litmus?) and not be scared by technical language and such.
- IanN suggests reaching out to the user community using the newsgroups and forums.
- Serge to do a write up and send it to Ratty to propagate to the community.
- Ratty is ***still*** waiting for Serge.