SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- Time: 27 October, 2015, 13:00 UTC
- (9am Eastern, 1pm UK, 2pm Central Europe, 9pm Hong Kong)
- NOTE: European Summer Time has ended!
- Location: #seamonkey IRC channel
- Further Read: Basics
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Action Items
- 1.2 Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- 1.3 Release Train
- 1.4 Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking
- 1.5 2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 1.6 Feature List, Planning
- 1.7 Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
- 1.8 Any other business?
- Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
- None this time
(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- Send a delicious cake to each of our RelEng Team for all their hard work getting SeaMonkey 2.35 and 2.38 out of the door. Assigned to Ratty.
- Need to port Sync 1.5 to SeaMonkey - IanN has spoken briefly to ewong about options, Ratty might be able to help too.
- bug 1198340 The carousel within Add-On Manager can be used for SeaMonkey specific content. TO DO: Find out what sort of format AMO needs for the carousel. Get our webdev person to create necessary content. Submit content for upload to AMO.
- Unfortunately nobody knows exactly how addons.mozilla.works because there's no full time developer working on AMO. Ratty was given bug 1009759 as an example. So now we need someone who knows python+django.
- bug 1121281 tracks the RelEng automation migration off CVS. Everything is now in a single repo, patches for using that new repo are awaiting a review from Callek. [NB: The requisite patches *have* been pushed to the necessary repos (as part of the post-land-review process).]
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- Windows nightly trunk builds are unavailable due to various bugs such as bug 1092468 and bug 1108970. Migrating our Windows builders to Win2008 and our compiler toolchain to VS2013 would likely solve this and other bustages.
- There are also some upcoming changes to L10n build system in Q1 2015 (bug 1107635).
- Buildmaster is up and running, and produces en-US builds, see 9/16 meeting's Friends of the Fish Tank. Builds and langpacks in 18 languages including en-US are available unofficially thanks to A.Kalla.
- bug 1083689 Langpacks aren't updated when auto-updating SeaMonkey because they aren't uploaded to AMO. The solution requires changes in SeaMonkey RelEng (and possibly AMO).
- For various reasons we don't have a working SeaMonkey Treeherder.
- wrt bug 1155011, we already have a Soccoro token. The patches on bug 1155013 require approval and then pushed and the work-around patches backed out.
- [27th October 2015]
- All trees:
- Windows platform still busted due to needing Win2008R2 installed.
- We have a loaner which ewong is working on (see blog for more information).
- Linux32-debug : busted due to bug 1204162.
- temporary patch was pushed to c-c so it's green there; but, needs to either be pushed to comm-aurora and comm-beta, or the bug fixed. (depends on bug 1203803).
- IanN has given approval for the temporary fix to be pushed to comm-aurora and comm-beta.comm-aurora is merging to comm-beta next Monday. If ewong times it right he can push it tomorrow and then we won't need to push it to comm-beta.
- OSX64: Busted due to bug 1208852 and bug 1218160.
- Linux32-debug : busted due to bug 1204162.
- comm-beta & comm-release:
- OSX64: Orange: due to bug 958812 (This has always been orange since a long time ago - unfortunately, not in a galaxy far far away.)
- All trees:
- Re: Tests.. Broken. Very Broken. [said with a James Bond accent.]
- That said, all the tests are busted in some way or another. (SERGE... WHERE ARE YOU?)
- Currently bug 1209378 is in progress to fix the perma-brokeness of our testing infrastructure; but it is 'hard'.
- See RelEng page for the RelEng status history.
- SeaMonkey 2.38 was released September 26th 2015.
- 2.39 beta 1 will be spun tomorrow 2015-10-28 (bug 1217273).
- Next merges:
- mozilla-beta → mozilla-release merge happened on October 26th;
- remaining merges scheduled for November 2nd.
- Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling
Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking
- See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
- Addon Compatibility Listings
- Lightning 4.4b2 shows no button icons (that's for SeaMonkey 2.39). To be fixed in bug 1211643.
- We are looking for a new place to host the Addon Compatibility Listings for the Add-on Converter in order to make it easy to maintain and to serve as the main database for the AMO browsing extension in the future. The details are in this post.
- Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
This tool goes a little further beyond simply modifying install.rdf - it also identifies a few more other things in the code that are Firefox or Thunderbird specific and attempts to change them. Of course, not all extensions can be ported so easily to SeaMonkey since there's only so much an automated tool like that can do.
- Lemon Juice continues to improve his already impressive Addon Converter. The source is now available on GitHub .
- looking for a better(?) home for extension-converter pages, along with a way to track successful and conversion-failed add-ons, and respective integration into SeaMonkey by add-on or manager overlay , bug 1145026.
- Rainer Bielefeld will no longer update the list of Firefox addons that have been successfully converted by the Addon Converter. -- Rrbd (talk) 09:59, 16 August 2015 (PDT)
- Ratty filed bug 1130390 to add a link on seamonkey-projects.org to the Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey.
- The AMO Browsing for SeaMonkey extension, which makes AMO pages a lot more SeaMonkey-friendly, seems mature. (It had 9 successive revisions between 27 September and 3 October, and no change since then.) It was developed by LemonJuice (of Add-on Converter fame), and Tonymec, who tested it and now uses it, supports it enthusiastically. The author proposes to add it as a "built-in extension" besides ChatZilla, DOMi and the like. What do you think? (See also Bug 1145026: AMO Add-On-Descriptions: Add link function leading to SeaMonkey add-on-converter and filling URL input pane; the extension actually does much more than the bug's Summary implies: for instance it gets rid of the stupid "You need Firefox 10 or later" popups.
- The Thunderbird team is now shipping Lightning with Thunderbird. IanN will work on shipping lightning too. Related bugs:
- bug 516026 Integrate Lightning Into SeaMonkey by Default and Ship SeaMonkey with Lightning Enabled
- bug 1130854 Package Lightning with Thunderbird for c-c and c-a builds.
- bug 1113183 Integrate Lightning Into Thunderbird by Default.
- bug 1130852 Add opt-in dialog to promote Calendar integration [Thunderbird].
- IanN filed bug 1133723 Investigate options for replacing Venkman with the TinyJSDebugger.
- On trunk, restartless add-ons were broken at some point after 19 October (due to bug 1203159 and/or bug 1217687 in Firefox::Devtools) then worked again after Ratty landed bug 1208112 on the 25th.
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- SeaMonkey Statistics can be viewed at https://dataviz.mozilla.org Across all channels we have an approximate ADU of 120k.
- Ratty suggests embedding these graphs somewhere on seamonkey-projects.org or https://dev.seamonkey.at
- bug 1133728 Look at embedding dataviz information into the SeaMonkey website.
- Links are broken again. Dataviz views now needs a SSO login. We need to find out how to expose a limited view for public consumption bug 1173006.
- See Basics page for the usual reminders.
- SeaMonkey 2.38 Release Notes
- Workaround from bug 1194358 OMTC causes multiple tab display refresh problems on Linux, needs adding to release notes.
- We have official permission to use the Firefox FxA 2.0 sync servers! We need someone to work on porting sync 2.0 over to replace legacy sync code. The finer details of how are so far unknown, but we should have a usable solution before legacy sync is turned off. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:
- Stalled. Needs a kick.
- Current breakages:
- Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
- Changes to Safe Browsing.
- mozilla-central bug 1146454 changed the printing API. IanN has migrated comm-central to the new API [bug 1195863].
- Firefox is currently changing styles of several Toolkit pages
- already affected: config.xul for about:config, bug 1125636
- Toolkit meta bug for about:* pages: bug 1097111 - SeaMonkey tracking in bug 1133743
- Modern may need updating as IDs are changing, Default needs forking if we want to roll back to previous styles
- Fallout thus far: bug 1133582 about:config (Modern)
- Ratty restored about:privatebrowsing UI to before it was messed up by Project Chameleon styles [bug 1192276]. Subsequent to Chameleon, Firefox developers have again redesigned the about:privatebrowsing UI to include UI for tracking protection. We should look into picking any changes we like.
- other affected pages are about:addons, about:support (look ok in Modern but hurt in the Default theme).
- A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
- bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
- bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
- bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
- The C++ downloads manager backend nsIDownloadManager is being decommissioned. Firefox and Thunderbird have migrated to jsdownloads.
- We've picked up he default for security.tls.version.min from Mozilla Core, but security.tls.version.fallback-limit is new. So we need to consider adding the latter to our preferences UI (bug 1123673).
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 24 new, 8 fixed, 24 triaged.
- Medium-low triaging effort, average number of new bugs filed.
- IanN thinks it would be useful to remind people on the newsgroups / forums that they can contribute by triaging. Tonymec will post a reminder to newsgroups / forums. See bug 1092632 (Sm_tri_HowTo) Document how to triage SeaMonkey bugs.
- The draft is currently at https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Tonymec/Triage_HowTo
- I have a new computer (at last) and on the last Sunday of August I even found out how to connect it to the Internet. I think the page is essentially finished but I badly need your opinion about it. Anyone with a wikimoz account can edit the page and/or create its Talk page (and is welcome to). If you don't have a wikimoz account you can still comment on the bug. — Tonymec (talk) 00:17, 27 September 2015 (PDT)
- So far no wiki comments, no wiki changes, and no bug comments. If such an ear-splitting silence means that there is nothing to improve, please tell me where the page should find its permanent home. If somewhere at wikimoz I can move it myself once I know where. If elsewhere the move will have to be done by someone with file-create permissions at that location, together with a reformatting if not a wikimedia-powered site. I am willing to convert the page to "plain HTML+CSS" if the destination requires it. Tonymec (talk) 19:09, 10 October 2015 (PDT)
- See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.
- Encrypted Media Extensions / Digital Rights Management
- bug 1127784 added a preference and UI to enable/disable playback of Encrypted Media Extensions, with UI seen in non-release builds only
- more work appears to be needed to download necessary 3rd-party Content Decryption Modules, some UI can probably be ported from Firefox
- Encrypted Media Extensions / Digital Rights Management
- What about declaring linux-x86_64 builds found at seamonkey-project.org and at ftp.m.o as "official" ?
On October 7 two people asked in #seamonkey at a few minutes' interval when there would be "official" 64-bit SM builds for Linux. I pointed them to the x86_64 release at the bottom of the "Other languages" release page for 2.38 and to the x86_64 2.40a2 aurora & 2.41a1 trunk builds at the bottom of the ftp.m.o nightly/latest-comm-* pages but they said these were not "official".
So — how are we going to get out of the following vicious circle? 64-bit builds are not "official" because too few users, and users don't install them (some even prefer compiling their own) because they aren't "official".
Maybe change the online documentation? (perhaps as part of bug 1208822 "System Requirements page needs update"?)
- [ewong:] what's the prerequisites of making the Linux64 builds 'official' aside for the issue of getting the tests done for Linux64; but our testing infrastructure is busted. bug 1209378
Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
- Working on:
- Usual localising, testing, reviewing, commenting and approving.
- bug 1213703 Update en-GB for Gecko 42
- Fixed for c-c:
- Fixed for m-c:
- Fixed for m-i/fx-i:
- Pending tree opening:
- Pending approval for check in:
- Pending checkin for dependent bugs:
- bug 653386 Consider overriding netErrorApp.dtd rather than netError.dtd
- Checked in pending review:
- Waiting for feedback/review/information:
- bug 1061348 Port |bug 575283 - Cleanup mozconfig files on all platforms| to SeaMonkey
- bug 1163441 Use FINAL_TARGET_FILES and DIST_FILES for Thunderbird themes
- bug 1195129 Port |bug 1027890 - Remove all sorts of build system code dedicated to pymake| and |bug 1082323 - Reject pymake in client.mk| to comm-central
- bug 1195246 Port client.mk changes from |bug 1188766 - sccache setup with UPLOAD_EXTRA_FILES makes some files uploaded multiple times| to comm-central
- bug 1195258 Port |bug 710147 - Pass more targets from client.mk to the build system| and |bug 911936 - Kill make depend| to comm-central
- bug 1195264 Port |bug 741839 - client.mk: consolidate $(wildcard calls) to reduce overhead| and client.mk parts of |bug 774106 - Change how virtualenv is populated| to comm-central
- bug 1195331 Port |bug 762358 - .mozconfig changes don't cause configure to run| to comm-central
- Fixing review comments before checkin:
- Working on:
- bug 1101381 Printing throws error: DEPRECATION WARNING: getWebBrowserPrint is now deprecated, and fully unsupported for multi-process browsers. Please use a frame script to get access to nsIWebBrowserPrint from content
- bug 1190179 Port |bug 1067325 - Add an option to view html source in a tab| to SeaMonkey
- bug 1051642 Allow for flat chrome format when packaging extensions
- bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)
- Various SM Council documents.
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
- bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
- bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
- bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
- File/Folder selection in windows.
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
- Help get composer standalone builds working with --enable-tests.
Needs checkin and uplift to comm-aurora and comm-beta:
- bug 1180871 Fallout from permission changes in bug 1170200 (excluding Data Manager which is bug 1188348).
- bug 1213696 Can't edit livemarks.
- bug 1213700 When creating a livemark, wrong item gets edited.
Still waiting for feedback:
- bug 888915 Convert SeaMonkey Downloads Manager to Downloads.jsm
Still waiting for review:
- bug 970993 Aero Peek rendering issues.
- bug 1208112 Package DevTools client in SeaMonkey now that it's been moved out of /browser/.
- bug 1215829 (package-manifest.in) Packaging update for SeaMonkey; Sync with Firefox; 2013 Part 2 of 2.
- bug 1011857 Implement CustomizableUI shim for SeaMonkey.
- bug 1022354 SeaMonkey forces 3rd-party themes to not use defaultFavicon.png but hardcode a bookmarks-item.png.
- Thunderbird defaut theme overrides.
- bug 1149775 Implement tabbrowser methods getBrowserForOuterWindowID() and getTabForBrowser() used by about:performance
- bug 1204338 More Refactoring: Followup to bug 403800 Refactor netError.dtd/netErrorApp.dtd. [mozilla-central]
- bug 1211166 Use AppConstants in SessionRecorder.jsm [Toolkit].
- bug 1218087 NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Failure arg 0 [nsICacheStorageService.diskCacheStorage] in pageInfo.js and metadata.js; [nsICacheStorageService.appCacheStorage] in pref-offlineapps.js.
- bug 1218103 Update references to devtools paths after Bug 1203159 (Migrate DevTools resources to resource://devtools/ URLs).
- Front end changes needed for bug 1042699 Block cross-origin add-on install requests.
- Port bug 1048048 add preload content policy types for images.
- Did some reviews and approvals.
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
Waiting for checkin:
- bug 1152644 Add UI in Notifications preference pane whether or not to use libnotify for new-mail alerts on Linux.
Pushed on github (thanks ewong!):
- bug 1209484 Update SeaMonkey vulnerabilities page for 2.35 and 2.38 releases.
May need retargeting:
- bug 1123673 Consider exposing security.tls.version.fallback-limit in SSL prefpane to accommodate SSL 3.0 legacy sites.
- Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.
- Closed obsolete review requests and tracking bugs
- End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.
Any other business?
- North-American Daylight Saving Time ends November 1st, thus back to regular 8am Eastern Standard Time for the November 10th meeting.