SeaMonkey Meeting Details
- Time: 5 January, 2016, 13:00 UTC
- (8am Eastern, 1pm UK, 2pm Central Europe, 9pm Hong Kong)
- Location: #seamonkey IRC channel
- Further Read: Basics
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Action Items
- 1.2 Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- 1.3 Release Train
- 1.4 Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking
- 1.5 2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- 1.6 Feature List, Planning
- 1.7 Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
- 1.8 Any other business?
- Who's taking minutes? -> Ratty
- Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
(who needs to do what that hasn't been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.
- Need to port Sync 1.5 to SeaMonkey - IanN has spoken briefly to ewong about options, Ratty might be able to help too.
- bug 1198340 The carousel within Add-On Manager can be used for SeaMonkey specific content. TO DO: Find out what sort of format AMO needs for the carousel. Get our webdev person to create necessary content. Submit content for upload to AMO.
- Unfortunately nobody knows exactly how addons.mozilla.works because there's no full time developer working on AMO. Ratty was given bug 1009759 as an example. So now we need someone who knows python+django.
- About specific aspects of this problem, see: bug 1230796, bug 1230804, bug 1230806 and maybe more.
- [Ratty] The url for the discovery pane is set in a pref. Instantbird points the URL to a chrome XUL document. If we do this we don't have to worry about the python stuff.
Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree
- Callek: Regarding the windows systems, sadly no progress yet. I'm hopeful we can get done sooner than later, I'm realistic expecting it won't be until january at earliest.
- Ewong will set up a cron job to do semi regular builds on the loaner machine.
- Windows nightly trunk builds are unavailable due to various bugs such as bug 1092468 and bug 1108970. Migrating our Windows builders to Win2008 and our compiler toolchain to VS2013 would likely solve this and other bustages.
- There are also some upcoming changes to L10n build system in Q1 2015 (bug 1107635).
- Buildmaster is up and running, and produces en-US builds, see 9/16 meeting's Friends of the Fish Tank. Builds and langpacks in 18 languages including en-US are available unofficially thanks to A.Kalla.
- bug 1083689 Langpacks aren't updated when auto-updating SeaMonkey because they aren't uploaded to AMO. The solution requires changes in SeaMonkey RelEng (and possibly AMO).
- For various reasons we don't have a working SeaMonkey Treeherder.
- wrt bug 1155011, we already have a Soccoro token. The patches on bug 1155013 require approval and then pushed and the work-around patches backed out.
- [8th December 2015]
- No Update. Ewong is hospitalized. Get well soon!
- Excluding Windows, the tree is green for most part. We're down one osx64 slave.
- Re: Tests. Still broken.
- Currently bug 1209378 is in progress to fix the perma-brokeness of our testing infrastructure; but it is 'hard'.
- See RelEng page for the RelEng status history.
- SeaMonkey 2.39 was released November 8th, 2015.
- SeaMonkey 2.40 beta has been cancelled.
- SeaMonkey 2.40 final released/scheduled ???
- Last merge was December 14th as scheduled.
- Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling
Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking
- See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
- Addon Compatibility Listings
- Lightning button icons are not shown on the mail-toolbox making them invisible. Fixed in bug 1223898 but we should consider moving the CSS from suite to Lighting.
- We are looking for a new place to host the Addon Compatibility Listings for the Add-on Converter in order to make it easy to maintain and to serve as the main database for the AMO browsing extension in the future. The details are in this post.
- Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
This tool goes a little further beyond simply modifying install.rdf - it also identifies a few more other things in the code that are Firefox or Thunderbird specific and attempts to change them. Of course, not all extensions can be ported so easily to SeaMonkey since there's only so much an automated tool like that can do.
- Lemon Juice continues to improve his already impressive Addon Converter. The source is now available on GitHub .
- looking for a better(?) home for extension-converter pages, along with a way to track successful and conversion-failed add-ons, and respective integration into SeaMonkey by add-on or manager overlay , bug 1145026.
- Rainer Bielefeld will no longer update the list of Firefox addons that have been successfully converted by the Addon Converter. -- Rrbd (talk) 09:59, 16 August 2015 (PDT)
- Ratty filed bug 1130390 to add a link on seamonkey-projects.org to the Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey.
- The AMO Browsing for SeaMonkey extension, which makes AMO pages a lot more SeaMonkey-friendly, seems mature. (It had 9 successive revisions between 27 September and 3 October, and no change since then.) It was developed by LemonJuice (of Add-on Converter fame), and Tonymec, who tested it and now uses it, supports it enthusiastically. The author proposes to add it as a "built-in extension" besides ChatZilla, DOMi and the like. What do you think? (See also Bug 1145026: AMO Add-On-Descriptions: Add link function leading to SeaMonkey add-on-converter and filling URL input pane; the extension actually does much more than the bug's Summary implies: for instance it gets rid of the stupid "You need Firefox 10 or later" popups.
- The Thunderbird team is now shipping Lightning with Thunderbird. IanN will work on shipping lightning too. Related bugs:
- bug 516026 Integrate Lightning Into SeaMonkey by Default and Ship SeaMonkey with Lightning Enabled
- bug 1130854 Package Lightning with Thunderbird for c-c and c-a builds.
- bug 1113183 Integrate Lightning Into Thunderbird by Default.
- bug 1130852 Add opt-in dialog to promote Calendar integration [Thunderbird].
- Ratty has the Firefox Devtools up and running. We can now use the Firefox Devtools debugger in both remote and local mode.
- Venkman is now totally retired R.I.P..
2.x (Last, Current, Next)
- SeaMonkey Statistics can be viewed at https://dataviz.mozilla.org Across all channels we have an approximate ADU of 120k.
- Ratty suggests embedding these graphs somewhere on seamonkey-projects.org or https://dev.seamonkey.at
- bug 1133728 Look at embedding dataviz information into the SeaMonkey website.
- Links are broken again. Dataviz views now needs a SSO login. We need to find out how to expose a limited view for public consumption bug 1173006.
- See Basics page for the usual reminders.
- We have official permission to use the Firefox FxA 2.0 sync servers! We need someone to work on porting sync 2.0 over to replace legacy sync code. The finer details of how are so far unknown, but we should have a usable solution before legacy sync is turned off. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:
- Stalled. Needs a kick.
- Current breakages:
- Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
- Changes to Safe Browsing.
- Firefox is currently changing styles of several Toolkit pages
- already affected: config.xul for about:config, bug 1125636
- Toolkit meta bug for about:* pages: bug 1097111 - SeaMonkey tracking in bug 1133743
- Modern may need updating as IDs are changing, Default needs forking if we want to roll back to previous styles
- Fallout thus far: bug 1133582 about:config (Modern)
- Ratty restored about:privatebrowsing UI to before it was messed up by Project Chameleon styles [bug 1192276]. Subsequent to Chameleon, Firefox developers have again redesigned the about:privatebrowsing UI to include UI for tracking protection. We should look into picking any changes we like.
- mozilla-central bug 1189918 and bug 1190465 allow to fork Toolkit style pages for the classic/default/modern theme without harming theme developers. SeaMonkey bug 1022354 will move theme overrides to the theme manifests.
- A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
- bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
- bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
- The C++ downloads manager backend nsIDownloadManager is being decommissioned. Firefox and Thunderbird have migrated to jsdownloads.
- We've picked up he default for security.tls.version.min from Mozilla Core, but security.tls.version.fallback-limit is new. So we need to consider adding the latter to our preferences UI (bug 1123673).
Feature List, Planning
Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 21 new, 6 fixed, 16 triaged.
- good triaging effort, average number of new bugs filed.
- Ratty has a SeaMonkey build with a working Firefox Devtools!!!! Relevant patches:
- bug 1208112 Package DevTools client in SeaMonkey now that it's been moved out of /browser/ [checked-in].
- bug 1223338 Add DevTools client L10N language files to SeaMonkey builds [checked-in].
- bug 1223341 Add the Firefox Devtools to the SeaMonkey UI. Waiting for review.
- bug 1223344 Some tweaks to gDevTools.jsm to get Devtools working in SeaMonkey [Devtools]. Waiting for review.
- Not working yet: WebIDE and Responsive Design. But everything else seems to work.
- Mozilla wants to separate Firefox and Thunderbird, in infrastructure and organizationally, which will likely affect SeaMonkey as well
- Fundamental core features Firefox/Mozilla plans to remove:
- bug 1222546 Product plan: remove support for heavyweight themes
- if effective for all Toolkit applications, would render most 3rd-party themes disfunct
- no sufficiently plausible specifics provided 'why' full themes 'must' no longer be supported
- no clear statements by the Firefox drivers, bug has been restricted for comments since
- discussion diverted to https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/planning-the-future-of-complete-themes/
- see bsmedberg's post #14, targeted for Gecko 49 (April 2016).
- may prohibit Modern theme being shipped with or installed in SeaMonkey
- removal is "decided" without any clear alternative envisioned
- bug 1222546 Product plan: remove support for heavyweight themes
- IanN thinks it would be useful to remind people on the newsgroups / forums that they can contribute by triaging. Tonymec will post a reminder to newsgroups / forums. See bug 1092632 (Sm_tri_HowTo) Document how to triage SeaMonkey bugs.
- See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.
- Encrypted Media Extensions / Digital Rights Management
- bug 1127784 added a preference and UI to enable/disable playback of Encrypted Media Extensions, with UI seen in non-release builds only
- more work appears to be needed to download necessary 3rd-party Content Decryption Modules, some UI can probably be ported from Firefox
- Encrypted Media Extensions / Digital Rights Management
- What about declaring linux-x86_64 builds found at seamonkey-project.org and at ftp.m.o as "official" ?
On October 7 two people asked in #seamonkey at a few minutes' interval when there would be "official" 64-bit SM builds for Linux. I pointed them to the x86_64 release at the bottom of the "Other languages" release page for 2.38 and to the x86_64 2.40a2 aurora & 2.41a1 trunk builds at the bottom of the ftp.m.o nightly/latest-comm-* pages but they said these were not "official".
So — how are we going to get out of the following vicious circle? 64-bit builds are not "official" because too few users, and users don't install them (some even prefer compiling their own) because they aren't "official".
Maybe change the online documentation? (perhaps as part of bug 1208822 "System Requirements page needs update"?)
- [ewong:] what's the prerequisites of making the Linux64 builds 'official' aside for the issue of getting the tests done for Linux64; but our testing infrastructure is busted. bug 1209378
--- Discussion on locale translations for DOMi and Chatzilla ---
- [frg] Localized Chatzilla builds currently break suite compile starting with 2.41. See bug 1229810 Port bug 1228444 and bug 1228467 to Chatzilla.
- [IanN] The tagging has fixed the issue for chatzilla before 2.41 but more is needed for 2.41 and above?
- [frg] Yes. The optional language xpi will not compile in 2.41 and is broken in 2.42 and up. install.rdf missing. The main xpi is fine.
- [IanN] Can you spin a bug off with the steps to generate the optional language xpi for 2.41 along with any errors, similarly another one for 2.42 and up. If it ends up being the same fix, not a problem, bugs are cheap. just cc me.
- [IanN] Ratty: do we need to start looking at how to overlay Chatzilla and DOMi on top of the TB's new merged (c-c + m-c) repository?
- [Ratty] Not sure. I hope we can continue doing what we have been doing using nested repositories. However in the new merged repository. The comm-central client.py is replaced by the mozilla-central client.py so I don't know how this will work.
- [IanN] Merging DOMi into comm-central would make SeaMonkey releases easier. We just need to sort out locale building for DOMi.
Roundtable - Personal Status Updates
Status Updates from developers - what are you working on, what's the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).
- Usual localising, testing, reviewing, commenting and approving.
- bug 1230855 Update en-GB for Gecko 43
- Fixed for c-c:
- Fixed for m-c:
- Fixed for m-i/fx-i:
- Pending tree opening:
- Pending approval for check in:
- Pending checkin for dependent bugs:
- bug 653386 Consider overriding netErrorApp.dtd rather than netError.dtd
- Checked in pending review:
- Waiting for feedback/review/information:
- Fixing review comments before checkin:
- Working on:
- bug 1230855 Update en-GB for Gecko 43
- bug 1101381 Printing throws error: DEPRECATION WARNING: getWebBrowserPrint is now deprecated, and fully unsupported for multi-process browsers. Please use a frame script to get access to nsIWebBrowserPrint from content
- bug 1190179 Port |bug 1067325 - Add an option to view html source in a tab| to SeaMonkey
- bug 1051642 Allow for flat chrome format when packaging extensions
- bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)
- Various SM Council documents.
- bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
- bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
- bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
- bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
- File/Folder selection in windows.
- To Do:
- bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
- Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
- Help get composer standalone builds working with --enable-tests.
Checked in to comm-central, might need uplift:
- bug 1226742 Port bug 1208295 - display notification permissions from the notification settings menu.
Checked in to comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta:
- bug 1222491 Update Modern theme for recent changes in web notifications.
Checked in to comm-beta:
- bug 1223135 Switch Page Info to use principals.
Still waiting for feedback:
- bug 888915 Convert SeaMonkey Downloads Manager to Downloads.jsm
Still waiting for review:
- bug 970993 Aero Peek rendering issues.
- bug 1211166 Use AppConstants in SessionRecorder.jsm [Toolkit]
- bug 1226048 "Save View as Folder" and "File->New->Saved Search": missing folder [comm-release]
- bug 1227305 ReferenceError: can't access lexical declaration `max' before initialization causes "DOM Inspector" to stop working [DOM Inspector]
- bug 1229803 Port bug 1228444 (Rename DIST_FILES to FINAL_TARGET_PP_FILES) to DOM Inspector.
- bug 1231984 Add-on SDK tabs problem: domWindow.gBrowserInit is undefined.
- bug 1233063 ProfileManager UI broken. Copied the strings removed in bug 1232629 to /suite/.
- bug 1233433 [Installer] Consolidate Push client interfaces - SeaMonkey part.
- bug 1233509 Update packaging for Push client interfaces (bug 1189998) Thunderbird/Instantbird parts.
- bug 1233524 The Create Profile Wizard says "Click Done ..." when the button is called "Finish" and "Click Finish ..." when the button is called "Done" [Toolkit::Profiles]
Waiting for review:
- bug 1223341 Add the Firefox Devtools to the SeaMonkey UI.
- bug 1235805 Rollup patch: Add preload content policy types for images (Bug 1048048) Use the loading document's principal to populate loadInfo for Favicons instead of using systemPrincipal (Bug 1119386) nsITaskbarPreview::Invalidate no longer throws when not visible.
- bug 1222816 Restore about:config UI (Config Editor) to old appearance by overriding Toolkit's Project Chameleon styles.
- bug 1229810 Port bug 1228444 and bug 1228467 to Chatzilla.
- bug 1233997 about:debugging should be available to all applications that ship the Devtools client (and not just Firefox) [Devtools]
- Fix Thunderbird defaut theme overrides.
- Front end changes needed for bug 1042699 Block cross-origin add-on install requests.
- bug 1011857 Implement CustomizableUI shim for SeaMonkey.
- bug 1224907 Bookmarks Manager Search box is missing in SeaMonkey 2.3.9.
- Did some reviews and approvals.
- Bug triage and Bug discussions.
- Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.
Waiting for checkin on comm-central:
- bug 1229270 Provide UI in Send Format pane for new mailnews.sendformat.auto_downgrade preference.
May need retargeting:
- bug 1123673 Consider exposing security.tls.version.fallback-limit in SSL prefpane to accommodate SSL 3.0 legacy sites.
- Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.
- End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.
Waiting for review:
- bug 1208971 German installer.exe Version's Password-Manager does not populate password-fields.
- bug 1188348 data manager: domains invisible for Permissions, Preferences, Passwords.
- bug 1200263 Help → Report Web Forgery ... does nothing.
- bug 1209626 Stand alone (popup-) Permissions Manager does not show web pages' domain names.
Any other business?