Security/Reviews/Firefox4/Desktop Notifications Security Review
dougt will update...
Notificatations APIs are responsible for managing notifications from web applications, and showing them on the user's desktop.
- Background links
Security and Privacy
- Is this feature a security feature? If it is, what security issues is it intended to resolve?
- What potential security issues in your feature have you already considered and addressed?
- Is system or subsystem security compromised in any way if your project's configuration files / prefs are corrupt or missing?
- Include a thorough description of the security assumptions, capabilities and any potential risks (possible attack points) being introduced by your project.
- How are transitions in/out of Private Browsing mode handled?
- Please provide a table of exported interfaces (APIs, ABIs, protocols, UI, etc.)
- Does it interoperate with a web service? How will it do so?
- Explain the significant file formats, names, syntax, and semantics.
- Are the externally visible interfaces documented clearly enough for a non-Mozilla developer to use them successfully?
- Does it change any existing interfaces?
- What other modules are used (REQUIRES in the makefile, interfaces)?
- What data is read or parsed by this feature?
- What is the output of this feature?
- What storage formats are used?
- What failure modes or decision points are presented to the user?
- Can its files be corrupted by failures? Does it clean up any locks/files after crashes?
- Can the end user configure settings, via a UI or about:config? Hidden prefs? Environment variables?
- Are there build options for developers? [#ifdefs, ac_add_options, etc.]
- What ranges for the tunable are appropriate? How are they determined?
- What are its on-going maintenance requirements (e.g. Web links, perishable data files)?
Relationships to other projects
Are there related projects in the community?
- If so, what is the proposal's relationship to their work? Do you depend on others' work, or vice-versa?
- Are you updating, copying or changing functional areas maintained by other groups? How are you coordinating and communicating with them? Do they "approve" of what you propose?
- What happens with the image URLs?
- sometimes we load and create the image
- sometimes we pass the URL
- best to restrict to http/https, definitely a whitelist of some sort
- if data: is allowed create as <IMG>
- filed bug xxxxx
- sites can send a different image with each request?
- lots of spoofing possibilities
- If there's no callback, clicking on notification does nothing.
- If there's a callback function it gets called.
- can call focus(), not sure that will actually raise the window
- What format are the messages? "text"?
- what's the risk that some platform will parse/render HTML?
- should we sanitize proactively just in case?
- brainstorm on how to tie site notifications back to the site you gave permission to
- domain (eTLD+1?) prefix on title?
- fixed icon (same as first call)
- Android notifications always use the Fennec icon
- Fixed text pattern? (e.g. "Tweet from *")
- how do you cancel permission for an overly-talkative (or even abusive) site?
- need a global off switch (presentation mode?)
- filed bug xxxxx
- doesn't save settings in Private Browsing mode (correct)