Some data is collected as correlations: for example, we collect information about user operating system and version, and about user addon and addon versions, so that we can correlate and monitor crash rates and other error metrics against these groupings.
'''It is not sufficient that collecting data benefits Mozilla (the company/project). It is necessary that we can map collected data to benefits for either individual Firefox users or Firefox users as a group. '''
== Data Collection Properties ==
* Does this data collection represent any unusual privacy or legal risk to users or Mozilla?
== Requesting Approval ==
It is our intention to review every new data collection within Firefox, but to do so quickly and with minimal overhead. For every new measurement, even a simple new Telemetry probe, please request approval by setting the feedback flag for the data collection module owner or a peer. Simple requests should be handled within a day.
More complex requests, and especially requests which add a new kind of data collection mechanism or require changes to the privacy notice, will require more extensive review. Please consider pinging the team about these as they are being designed! Additional discussions/review may include:
* Privacy analysis: This may involve requesting feedback from the mozilla.dev.privacy mailing list and/or privacy experts within and outside of Mozilla to discuss the feature and its privacy impact.
* Data compliance review: a review with the Mozilla data compliance team to ensure that changes match the Mozilla data compliance policies and documents.
* Legal review: If necessary, the module owner will request a legal review from Mozilla's legal team. A legal review will be necessary for any changes to the privacy policies/notices.
* Data quality/statistical review: In cases where data analysis and quality is uncertain, the module owner will request additional feedback from the Mozilla metrics team and other experts to validate data analysis plans.
* UX review: We may request/require feedback from the Firefox UX team on any proposed privacy/data-control UI.
== Other Practices ==