# User asserts which email addresses he or she owns.
# User does an SMTP challenge (system emails user a token link they must click) to prove ownership
== J. Development History, Milestone, and Roadmap ==
* Prototype - A prototype of the badge Infrastructure was built at the Mozilla Drumbeat Festival in Barcelona, November 2010. The prototype was updated and advanced in early January 2011, and a more complete and working prototype is now in use for the School of Webcraft badge pilot program.
* Alpha - The Alpha version of the Infrastructure, built for P2PU as the initial Issuer was launched in late July 2011. The Alpha included user account creation, a simple Backpack interface, minimum verification and P2PU Issuer tech. All badges earned from the P2PU School of Webcraft Assessment and Badge Pilot were pushed into the Alpha Infrastructure with support for displaying on the user’s P2PU profile.
* Developer Preview (Beta1) - The first Beta version of the Infrastructure launched mid September 2011. The Beta was a fully functioning (critical feature complete) Infrastructure, including all Backpack technology. Initial Issuers were plugging in following the launch. We did a closed beta launch to work closely with an initial group of issuers to fine tune the technology and ensure that we have data and experience to evaluate the Infrastructure.
* [https://wiki.mozilla.org/Badges/PublicBeta Public Beta] - Public Beta included more features including the [https://github.com/mozilla/openbadges/wiki/Displayer-API Displayer API] and was launched in early April 2012.
* 1.0 Public Spec - In Q3 2012 we will release the 1.0 version of the Open Badge Infrastructure with all necessary supporting documentation and tools to make it self-service