Support/RapidRelease/DRAFT Sumo Release Planning
The content of this page is a work in progress intended for review.
Please help improve the draft!
Ask questions or make suggestions in the discussion
or add your suggestions directly to this page.
This is a list of tasks that will need to be done for every Firefox release. I'm basing it off of what we did for Firefox 4. It's a good number of tasks for very little time and this checklist will need to be in a little bit of flux as we figure out exactly how to do it. Remember releases stack, so you're basically doing everything all the time and I think we'll need to keep checklists for each release so that we don't miss something.
Roughly in order:
- Track features that are making it into the release and make special note of any user facing/user affecting changes.
- Try to anticipate early problems to be on the lookout for in later stages.
- UX team check in. (mverdi)
- Gauge user's initial response to a feature when it's introduced (via feedback). Highlight any red flags. If there's any confusion points, take note of them for documentation focus.
- Devise a documentation strategy. Make a list of articles to change for each feature.
- Attend triage meetings to know if a feature is going forward to beta or is staying on experimental. Note any bugs found that may be "shippable". Give feedback on the expected support experience.
- Check in with QA to see if there are issues they've identified that we should keep an eye out for.
- Right before ship: Brief community on potential beta issues.
- Weekly feedback roundup (from input and support forums)
- Summarize top SUMO and input issues for dev teams to help inform planning meetings
- Write feature documentation (host KB sprint?)
- Alert localizers (or do l10n on a schedule)
- Localize feature documentation.
- Update beta start page to highlight new features
- Anticipate top issues that will likely crop up that we will ship with based on input and sumo
- Track down owners of issues and get workarounds if possible. Or use SUMO threads to see what workarounds have been helping users.
- Document top issues and link from front page
Right before release
- Update start pages to reflect new docs written
- Update AAQ flow to reflect new common issues
- Report back on l10n status(es)
- Update showfor to work with new versions
- Get list of top incompatible add-ons
- Get list of incompatible websites off of input/SUMO/QA
- Brief community on top anticipated issues and workarounds
Day of release
- Track support issues
- Party along with everyone else
- End of day: Email RRRT with any issues that are seen
Day of release + 2 days
- Support report summary of top issues, counts, severity.
- Work with release drivers on figuring out if we need to chemspill
Day of release + 1 week
- Collect launch day/first week metrics
- Thank community members
Post release, ongoing
- Do support!
- Regular support reports