last testday | index | next testday »
Test Day January 26 th , 2012
With the release of Thunderbird 10 approaching, the fact that our ESR version of Thunderbird will be based on it and that 3.1.x is approaching end of life, we need to test updates from 3.1.17 to 10.0b and make sure that we can catch any major errors. At the same time we would like to document support issues so that our support is more efficient when people do the update in the next few weeks.
To do so we would like to have a test day focused on Updating from the latest 3.1 series (ie to date 3.1.17) to the latest 10 series (to date 10b4). And we would like participants to provide feedback and notify of all the issues they might find while updating.
How to participate
- Run Thunderbird 3.1.17
- Change update the channel of your Thunderbird:
- stop Thunderbird
- In the Thunderbird install directory (or Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/ on mac) edit the defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js and change the line pref("app.update.channel", "release"); to pref("app.update.channel", "betatest");
- save the file
- start Thunderbird
- On Windows and Linux and Mac TB 3.1, go to Help -> check for updates
- Apply the update
- verify that things that were working are still working
- Some extensions will not work - let us know which ones
- File bugs in bugzilla for anything that doesn't work anymore. Please mark the bug dependent of bug bug 719740
- Join us on IRC (irc.mozilla.org, in #tb-qa - see below in Things to know how to join) on January the 26th 2012, and ask any question and give feedback.
- Feedback will be consolidated for support purposes on an etherpad at https://etherpad.mozilla.org/3-1to10supportpad
Testing with Lightning
If you'd like to provide additional testing help for the calendaring extension Lightning, here are additional infos:
- For Thunderbird 3.1.17, install Lighting 1.0b2 before changing the update channel
- Be sure to add some calendar data. If you haven't been using Lightning before, you can get calendar data on Google
- After you upgrade, you should receive Lightning 1.2. Please let us know if Lightning is not upgraded with or just after Thunderbird is upgraded.
- File any Lightning specific bugs in the Calendar Product on Bugzilla
Things to know
We do not recommend that you use a production profile for these tests, if you do - please make sure to back up the existing profile before starting the tests. Creating a test profile is documented here.
If You need any help just join us on irc.mozilla.org in #tb-qa (just click on this link) - and be a bit patient before we answer we don't monitor the channel every second nor minute.